Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Also inside your engine compartment starting at the firewall on the drivers side is the vacuum ball. Start there and follow the vacuum lines around and I bet they are all dryrotted . I had to replace all of them on my 91 Burb before the system would work correctly. I couldn't figure out why the air was coming out of everywhere at once and never really got cold. After I replaced all the lines it actually worked properly and you could hear it switch between the settings. It also got freezing cold because now it had vacuum and would actually go into max setting.

I actually fixed the door issue and made my own replacement tab out of formed metal. I have already started the vacuum line replacement. A PITA task but needs to be done.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Been busy on other project and trying to figure out which was best way for cooling options. This is this weekends project

Adding a tranny cooler, inline tranny filter, Power steering cooler. Tranny temp gauge sending unit and thermal controlled 10" auxiliary fan.

coolu-01.jpg

NOTE: right after this pic I found a better way for plumbing so the brass pieces will change tomorrow.

NOTE 2: the B&M LPD HD coolers are the same ones made for Tru-Cool coolers and is made by a company called LONG in Canada. This company makes factory HD coolers for OEM options. The factory oil cooler I have is a LONG brand cooler with even the same patent #s.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Cooler mounted up. Man this has turned out to be a huge PITA especially with having to go from a 1/2NPT to a 5/16 barb with two 1/8"NPT ports for sensors.

Tomorrow is fan and wiring and power steering cooler... yay!

coolu-04.jpg

coolu-03.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I just need to finish wiring the hot side of everything but its pretty much good to go. The front end still retains a factory clean look with the grill on.

coolu-09.jpg

coolu-10.jpg

coolu-11.jpg

coolu-12.jpg

coolu-13.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I have started on the rear winch bumper and have come to a complete halt trying to figure out the assembly of this while only being able to use a 4'x4' Plasma cutting table.

7" face with a 4" flat top and will be tapered at ends to 4" tall with two welded though D rings for Clevis'

rbumper-001.jpg

rbumper-002.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Ok here is the core of the rear bumper. You have to use some imagination to fill in the cracks.

All 3/16" the frame mounting plates are 1/4" with 4 bolts on each side

76" wide
4" deep top
7" tall face
(2) 1"wx2"2 Welded D-rings that go thru directly to eh frame plates

there will be 4 holes center on the face to mount a winch and an offset Hawse fairlead.

Yes it appears to sit a bit low but that's because the plastic skirt is removed right now plus I want to make sure it sits under the plastic trim on the outer corners. It will look better with the skirt back on.

Opinions, ideas, like, dont like.

rbumper-01.jpg

rbumper-02.jpg

rbumper-03.jpg

rbumper-04.jpg

The underneath will be finished off with 3" plate coming in.

rbumper-05.jpg

rbumper-06.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
The idea is ladder and tools on the passenger side barn doors and spare tire on Drivers barn door. Nothing on the bumper at this time. I have done a split style swing out setup before U just would rather have them on the doors.... maybe.

If I was to do it it would be similar to the pics below.

This is what I built before on my Cherokee

xj-01.jpg

xj-02.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
well, it actually looked fine until i removed that plastic trim on the corners. now its all fuggly. I am going to raise the upper half a 1.25" and give the end caps a sharper taper. The rais will also help clear the rear winch better.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Updates

the end caps are more angled and i swept the bottom outter sections of the main bumper out more.

Added 1" height to close the gap with the body and went 1" deeper on the top to also close the gap.

rbumper-16.jpg

rbumper-15.jpg

rbumper-14.jpg

rbumper-13.jpg

rbumper-12.jpg

rbumper-11.jpg

rbumper-09.jpg

rbumper-08.jpg

rbumper-07.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Ok, Bumpers are on hold until February for now. Two Wednesdays ago I got an offer for two axles for $400. a 12B and a 10B both with 4.10s and LSDs. I went down there last Saturday and ended up coming back with FOUR axles.

1) 12Bolt
1 10 bolt to match the 12 bolt
1 spare 10 bolt
and the prize, 1 14BFF all for $400.

I am going thru them to find out exactly what I all I have.

axle-01.jpgaxle-02.jpgaxle-03.jpgaxle-04.jpgaxle-05.jpg

The 12 bolt is confirmed with a LSD but instead fo 4.10s it has 4.56s. Frankly this is not a good sign for me. I was hoping the front was in fact a 4.10 but if these are matched sets (which I assume with all the chrome) then the front odds are is 4.56 as well.

axle-06.jpgaxle-07.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman