Project Overlander-Build Thread

alexfm

Explorer
Do you have plans to enclose that rear light under the bumper? I'd be afraid of smash it on something or kicking a rock up from my rear tire on a gravel road and destroying it.

Not at the moment, but I hadn't really thought about it. The housing is pretty tough, so I'm not terribly worried about a rock trashing my light, although there is some concern about crushing it on a drop-off or something. But I think it'll be okay after I lift, which should be happening relatively soon. But I may end up making a shield of some sort for it, or moving it to a different spot.

nano151

Observer
You're gonna rip that light right off the rear bumper the first time out. You don't have to worry about a rock bouncing off it but any time you go down or up a sharp ledge, you run the risk of scraping the rear (and ripping the light off).

You should get a pair of the cheap small rectangular lights and mount them on each side of the hitch reciever or drill out a hole big enough so that you can mount it inside of the bumper.

alexfm

Explorer
You're gonna rip that light right off the rear bumper the first time out. You don't have to worry about a rock bouncing off it but any time you go down or up a sharp ledge, you run the risk of scraping the rear (and ripping the light off).

You should get a pair of the cheap small rectangular lights and mount them on each side of the hitch reciever or drill out a hole big enough so that you can mount it inside of the bumper.

I thought about getting some of those small rectangular lights, but I got this one for a better price. I wanted to put this light right next to the receiver, but the only pre existing hole (I hate drilling holes in steel, it really frustrates me) was too close to the safety chain tabs, and the light wouldn't fit that way. Im working on some way to possibly mount it inside the bumper, I just haven't gotten very far with that idea yet. But thank you for your suggestions. I may go to the smaller lights whenever I get a roof rack, and just move this light up top.

nano151

Observer
Too bad you're so far. A friend is selling the Surco rack off his XJ with 4 Hellas and 2 backups for $280.

alexfm

Explorer
Update!

I got me car some new headlights. :sombrero:

Lights, right out of their box.
GEDC0022.jpg

Old:
GEDC0025.jpg

New:
GEDC0026.jpg

Color and Brightness Difference:
GEDC0027.jpg

And lastly, a detail shot of the new lights. No, the little blue ones aren't hooked up, I'm gonna remove them as soon as I can find O-rings to fill the holes in the housings.
GEDC0029.jpg

Last edited:

alexfm

Explorer
Just another little thing I've been wanting to get done, that I finally did. :wings:
I've seen alot of you guys on here posting about having cameras and webcams and such hooked up to take video out the windshield to record trail rides and stuff. Well, I wanted that, but I don't have a roll cage to put a mount on, and Im too cheap to buy a RAM style mount, so I made my own. Nothing fancy, I just bought a little tripod at the Dollar Tree, took off the legs, weighted the base, and slapped some velcro on it. it works pretty well sitting still, but Im not sure how well it will behave when Im moving, the camera wobbles a bit, so we'll have to see. Im gonna test run it this weekend.

Now, what you've all been waiting for: pictures!

GEDC0042.jpg

alexfm

Explorer
Update!

Well, I took the Jeep out on its maiden voyage this weekend. :wings: It wasnt anything crazy hard, but I went out to Hueco Tanks State Park for the night with my scout troop.

Took plenty of pictures, around 75 or so. :sombrero: Mostly of of the cave art. And several of the scenery as well. Much like this one.

GEDC0104.jpg

alexfm

Explorer
Update!!!

Got New Shoes for the JEEP! :wings:

Picked up a new set of GT Radial Adventuro M/T's earlier today. Great price on tires, they were only $98 a piece. :ylsmoke:

Pictures tomorrow, its dark now.

alexfm

Explorer
Update-ish. :)

:sombrero:

Finally snapped some pictures of the Jeep with the new tires on it. I've had em on there for about 700 or 800 miles, and I love them. :wings:

Driveway Poser Shot:
GEDC0208.jpg

Detail shot of the tread:
GEDC0212.jpg

And a small tidbit of info:

LIFT!
Yes, Im just waiting on one more piece, and I'll have my BB ready for install. :victory:

alexfm

Explorer
I've finally come through. Here is the long awaited exhaust video. So you guys know what a 4.0L with 220K miles on it sounds like with a CherryBomb Turbo muffler. :D

alexfm

Explorer
Update!

I've got my lightbar installed, and Im still working on getting the lights fully wired, its just been so darn hot outside (100 everyday this week) that I cant work out there. I dont have a garage, so I do all the work sittin in my driveway. But I've got one pair wired already, and hopefully the others will be done by this weekend.

Pictures coming soon.

alex.

Oh, and I painted my ugly old centercaps, so I'll throw in a picture of those too.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Looking good!

Dont know if i missed it, did you upgrade the headlight harness? You'll notice a greater improvement with that as well.

alexfm

Explorer
Looking good!

Dont know if i missed it, did you upgrade the headlight harness? You'll notice a greater improvement with that as well.

Thanks, I really enjoyed your XJ build, it was actually a bit of an inspiration to be honest.

No, I didn't upgrade the harness. I've considered it, but the lights work pretty darn good as is, and I hate wiring. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad