Project T100: "Baja Explorer Ver. 2"

fieroboom

Wow... I just intently read this entire thread in a few hours, and I'm not sure how to feel... I'm amazed at your insanely awesome build, and supremely jealous of your baja trips, but kind of upset that it's over for now... Build more!! :)

G100

Adventurer
Update . . . or lack of

Sorry, I have no build updates on the truck, there isn't much more that needs to be done, yet . . . but there will be, I'll get into that in a second. As far as how things have been holding up, I did have to get a new clutch at about 190,000 which put off changing my timing belt until my funds replish, but thats next. But for all my modifactions, everything has been holding up good, really good. Rear window has been working flawlessly, no leaks with the boot, my awning withstood what felt like near hurricane force winds and tyrannical down pours on a trip in Baja this december (photos below) and held up no problem, at one point I thought my truck was going to fly away. I did get rear ended six months ago, when it happened I could see the damage to the other car (totaled) in my side view mirror and was horrified as to what my bumper was going to look like. I thought for sure that my bumper was going to be a bent and no longer able to fold out into a step, Nope . . . it was amazing! There was a little nick more like a cut in the line-X coating about 1/2 inch long, a few surface scratchs on the hinge and the license plate was bent a little, thats it, the other cars radiator was pushed up into the front seat. I just drove off. So back to why I am going to need to do some more modications soon, well, I am going to be having a baby girl in two months, so that means I am going to have to figure somethings out as far as traveling and camping with a little one. Any experienced suggestions? A little worried this is going to slow us down quite a bit, but heard that it can be the most rewarding thing ever.

Here are a few pics from that last couple months:

BigSur-213_4_5_6_7.jpg

Found a great spot along the coast in Big Sur.

BigSur-125.jpg

BajaBec12.jpg

Baja Shelter

bajadec12_0184.jpg

...., well, I am going to be having a baby girl in two months, so that means I am going to have to figure somethings out as far as traveling and camping with a little one. Any experienced suggestions? A little worried this is going to slow us down quite a bit, but heard that it can be the most rewarding thing ever.
One piece of advice, from a friend actually. Get used of the kid setting the pace of the trip, not you. That will help. Don't wait to go camping with them. At 7 weeks old, my son was being hauled up mountains (in NH) and spent a cold night in a tent that same weekend. They are actually way easier before they can crawl and walk, but new parents don't realize that. We did at least 3 camping trips in the 4 months of his life.

If you hike, get a good kid back pack carrier - we got a Kelty one - was great. Later a portable crib is great in camp is great.

We drove from Mass to WY, straight with 2 under 5 at the time. I would never suggest one try to do that, but shows what can happen. For that trip, my wife bought $100 of toys and books, she passed them out slowly, so the kids always had something new showing up on the 40+hour drive out, and again 40+hr back. Month long trip - all in a tent. Toys are way cheaper than airfare for 4! By the way, no videos or electronics for that trip either.

So best advice is: Go, just Go!

Falkon

Adventurer
That is an AWESOME spot Sir! You guys are spoiled out there on the left coast :sombrero:

As far as camping with new little one, get her out in it. Show her the joys of the outdoors, the things that you like to do, give her a sense of adventure at an early age. Naturally, the pace and things you have done in the past will change. But as you adjust to what your daughter needs, you will begin to find new joy in the small things that amaxe her, you will begin to see the world through her eyes, and it's all new! I know it's cliche, but I suppose there is a reason.

89s rule

Adventurer
Agree with the posts above about camping with kids. We have 4 kids and that is one of the reasons I went with a T100 instead of a taco as all of us can fit in a pinch. Not sure about rear facing carseat fitting in the rear of the T but once they are old enough to be front facing the rear is perfect, We have a front facing and a booster in the back and then the other two int he middle of the rear and front rows.

Kids ill definitely change your perspective but it is totally worth it. I would not trade mine for the world. Looking forward to hearing how things change for you and your family as well as the T100.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Take off your awesome shell and get yourself a DC 1st gen Tundra. Your shell will fit just fine. Then you won't have to worry about fitting. Then don't look back just enjoy yourself. In the completed adventures section there is an great thread about a family of five youngest just starting to walk that crossed the country and back last summer in their Land Cruiser. Like they said above the kids will start setting the pace for the trips and knowing that will make it much easier. I travel with three little ones and they are great campers.

89s rule

Adventurer
Take off your awesome shell and get yourself a DC 1st gen Tundra. Your shell will fit just fine. Then you won't have to worry about fitting. Then don't look back just enjoy yourself. In the completed adventures section there is an great thread about a family of five youngest just starting to walk that crossed the country and back last summer in their Land Cruiser. Like they said above the kids will start setting the pace for the trips and knowing that will make it much easier. I travel with three little ones and they are great campers.

For 1 kid maybe, but not necessary. I think the T100 is a better built vehicle than a Tundra for expedition travel. The only downside is towing and/or packing way heavy. Did you also know a DC Tundra actually holds less people than ext cab T100. 5 vs. 6

My kids love being in the back bench. My only complaint about the T100 is the cup holders and the lack of rear doors for access (although I have heard that the extra noise they can allow is a negative). I'm about to take car of the cup holder issue. :)

seanpistol

Explorer
For 1 kid maybe, but not necessary. I think the T100 is a better built vehicle than a Tundra for expedition travel. The only downside is towing and/or packing way heavy. Did you also know a DC Tundra actually holds less people than ext cab T100. 5 vs. 6

I'm curious to know why you think a T100 is better built for expedition travel than a Tundra...

Did you also know that a DC Tundra is available with a front bench seat? (that would also make it seat 6)

89s rule

Adventurer
I'm curious to know why you think a T100 is better built for expedition travel than a Tundra...

Did you also know that a DC Tundra is available with a front bench seat? (that would also make it seat 6)

Not trying to junk up a great thread, but to me a T100 is a better BUILT vehicle. T100's were all built in the Hino plant in Japan, and the Tundras were built in the US. Not taking anything from a Tundra as it was my 2nd choice in a smaller full size truck, but $ didnt make sense for me. But a equally maintained Japan built Toyota IMHO will outlast a US built one, not counting the build quality with rattles, gaps, etc.

I did not qualify my statement close enough about # of people. T100 can hold kids in the front seat as there is no front passenger airbag. The Tundra AC has a switch to turn off the front bag for this reason. However the DC does not have a switch to turn off the airbag. Because of this I avoided the Tundra DC, even though I think from a comfort standpoint it could have been a good fit for my family, if they were not $$.

The one place were the Tundra has the T beat is if a v8 is TRULY needed, not wanted but NEEDED.
Really there shouldn't be a debate as they are both excellent choices. They are both Toyota and should be strong considerations for anyone looking for a smaller fullsize pickup. I prefer the 1st gen taco size, but with a family of 6 now they just do not make sense. Then again one more kid and I am going to have to go find something like U-joint Offroad has to offer. lol

Now back to you regularly scheduled T100 build.....

upcountry

Explorer
This is a great thread, tracking build progression and now a dillemma.....what to do if you add a small person to the mix, what if it was twins (yikes).

I had an extra cab 98 Tacoma and loved it. I had to let it go to make room. Now I have two kids -5 and 3. I have an 07 DC Tacoma.

Couple of points:

The first two years you will definitely be slowed down. This was a real game changer for me. I had to go through a few identity crisis situations but now I'm good watching those with no kids and no real sense of commitment and dedication and I just wonder if they know how much they are missing. Don't let your new identity get you down and don't fight it. It only makes it harder to accept and harder to be the parent you need to be without resenting the situation.

Regarding the truck, I hate to say it but you probably need to upgrade to something with 4 doors. Putting a caraway in the back and strapping or clicking a kid in and out of that thing is a long term hate relationship. I hate carseats. My kids hate carseats. Making them accessible and comfortable for you and your kids is key to a long roadrrip.

Regarding safety. Newer vehicles, whether built in Japan in the touted master assembly line or in the good old USA where auto manufacturing has its roots, are safer. With carseats you can never really anchor a car seat with just a seatbelt. Newer vehicles have carseat tabs that are key for safety. Don't kid yourself that a shoulder or lap belt can achieve the same safety level of tabs. Newer vehicles also have crumple zones and side airbags.

Regarding the T100, a close friend of mine had one, a really nice one. Clean, no rust, low miles. Well, he was driving on a curvy road and someone crossed the center line and he swerved. The truck rolled (he says it rolled very easily - it was not lifted) and immediately caught on fire. He has two kids same age as mine. Lucky the kids were at home. They would have died in that truck had they been strapped in their carseats because there was no way to get into the backseat with the truck on its side. The truck burned and was a total loss. He we went out and bought a double cab tundra after the insurance settled with him. He said he would never again brisk not having access to his kids car seats in an emergency.

Food for thought. That T-100 is awesome, but is it the right truck for a family? If I was single and kid free I would have a T-100 but as a responsible le parent of small children my choice is their safety first.

Of course, your choice will make sense for you and don't worry about justifying it to others, its your life and.....please keep living it the way you have....we are all envious of your great trip reports!

89s rule

Adventurer
This is a great thread, tracking build progression and now a dillemma.....what to do if you add a small person to the mix, what if it was twins (yikes).

I had an extra cab 98 Tacoma and loved it. I had to let it go to make room. Now I have two kids -5 and 3. I have an 07 DC Tacoma.

Couple of points:

The first two years you will definitely be slowed down. This was a real game changer for me. I had to go through a few identity crisis situations but now I'm good watching those with no kids and no real sense of commitment and dedication and I just wonder if they know how much they are missing. Don't let your new identity get you down and don't fight it. It only makes it harder to accept and harder to be the parent you need to be without resenting the situation.

Regarding the truck, I hate to say it but you probably need to upgrade to something with 4 doors. Putting a caraway in the back and strapping or clicking a kid in and out of that thing is a long term hate relationship. I hate carseats. My kids hate carseats. Making them accessible and comfortable for you and your kids is key to a long roadrrip.

Regarding safety. Newer vehicles, whether built in Japan in the touted master assembly line or in the good old USA where auto manufacturing has its roots, are safer. With carseats you can never really anchor a car seat with just a seatbelt. Newer vehicles have carseat tabs that are key for safety. Don't kid yourself that a shoulder or lap belt can achieve the same safety level of tabs. Newer vehicles also have crumple zones and side airbags.

Regarding the T100, a close friend of mine had one, a really nice one. Clean, no rust, low miles. Well, he was driving on a curvy road and someone crossed the center line and he swerved. The truck rolled (he says it rolled very easily - it was not lifted) and immediately caught on fire. He has two kids same age as mine. Lucky the kids were at home. They would have died in that truck had they been strapped in their carseats because there was no way to get into the backseat with the truck on its side. The truck burned and was a total loss. He we went out and bought a double cab tundra after the insurance settled with him. He said he would never again brisk not having access to his kids car seats in an emergency.

Food for thought. That T-100 is awesome, but is it the right truck for a family? If I was single and kid free I would have a T-100 but as a responsible le parent of small children my choice is their safety first.

Of course, your choice will make sense for you and don't worry about justifying it to others, its your life and.....please keep living it the way you have....we are all envious of your great trip reports!

I had a 3rd gen pickup ('89 ex cab Toyota) before I bought the T100. From a size perspective I was much more comfortable driving and camping in it. For hauling things, the T100s bed is awesome. It I didn't have so many kids I would have kept the '89 and honestly still kick myself for selling it. It was perfect for hauling 2 kids in the 5-10 range.

Seat latch systems have recently been proven to be less safe in some vehicles. Quick google search came up with this: http://www.squintmom.com/evidence-b...d-policy-on-latch-use-for-securing-car-seats/ I have no clue if this web page is usually reliable, but I have heard these facts for years. The biggest issue with people are car seats is that they do not install them correctly. #1 that I have seen is that they are not tightened enough for the seat to not move. If this is done then I would definitely use the seatbelt system.

I am glad that your friend survived, accidents are horrible and I hope that no one has to go through what my family as well as others have had to go through with loss of lives. To be honest in every accident situation nothing is optimal. In worst case a complete flip and crushed cab a rear access door or another set of doors does you no more good than not having them. Think about how many vehicles with 3rd row seats are not accessible, or even vans with 4 rows. Those are all worst case and again I really hope no one has to ever deal with something such as that.

I a glad that your friend not only survived but also had the $ to be able to purchase a vehicle that cost at a minimum 2x what his previous vehicle cost (Possibly 3 or 4x). For many of us we just cannot afford to do that. As I stated above for many people the Tundra DC would be a perfect fit, but for someone budget minded and also someone who thinks it is ridiculous that people have to have a mini van or huge vehicle with their first child, I think that the T100 can be used for many years to come. Although the first year or so would be rough with the rear facing seat. It would work in a inch but as a DD with no other car it would not be optimal. After they are forward facing it wouldnt be too bad. Would I take all 6 of my family on a 12 hour trip up the east coast in the T100? NO, I would take our family car a 3rd gen 4runner w/ 3rd row seat added. Would I take them on a 3 hour trip across the state? YES, and I have a few times when we needed the truck bed and everyone needed to go.
Everyone is different and we are all entitled to our own opinions, I personally as a family man with a limited budget would say that a T100 is a better vehicle than a Tundra for a build. I will stick with my ~$4K truck and a few thousand in PM and mods and have no car payment, while hoping it makes it to 400K like countless other T100s I saw FS when I was looking. (I still have yet to see a Tundra with over 400K?) However if your ideas of cross country trips then I would go with something different. I kinda figured this wasn't going to be their only family vehicle??

Then again I have 4 kids to pay for and college to think about in the future so many of my thoughts end up from a budgeting perspective, not always bells and whistles, etc.

You know that you can get a DC Tundra that seats six. I actually passed up on many that held six before I found mine.
I actually clarified that statement 2 posts up:

I did not qualify my statement close enough about # of people. T100 can hold kids in the front seat as there is no front passenger airbag. The Tundra AC has a switch to turn off the front bag for this reason. However the DC does not have a switch to turn off the airbag. Because of this I avoided the Tundra DC, even though I think from a comfort standpoint it could have been a good fit for my family, if they were not $$.

I certainly did not plan on hijacking this thread this way as I love the build. But I think that its helpful to have two sides to a story. Especially from a real world example of someone in the middle class who hates debt. :26_7_2: and is extremely cheap... I mean thrifty. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach