Propane tank location

I am looking to mount a propane tank behind the rear differential, I plan on building a bash plate under it for protection. Do you guys think this would be a good location for the tank. I also will have a remote fill line ran to an accessible area.propane 2.JPG

Attachments

• propane 1.JPG
    propane 1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

mobydick 11

On my tank there is a little valve they throw before filling ..when full this valve blows off and release gas,think this is how they know it's full . this would need to be accessible . also there is a tag on the tank they need to read before they fill .

larryqp

Full-time RVer
This appears to be a similar style to tanks on motorhomes. If so here is the fill procedure I have encountered.
1- All person out of vehicle
2- All engines and appliances off
3- The valve on the tank is closed and the filing hose is screwed into place
4- the little nut on the bleed valve is opened
5- The tank is filled until the OPD device shut down the fill or liquid comes out the bleed valve.

So the propane filling station person needs access to your shutoff valve, the filling hose attachment and the bleeding valve nut. In your picture it looks like all of those items might be facing the rear differential. If that is the case you may want to mount it so everything points rearward. I would also make sure they are easy to access without crawling under the truck.

Stevemo

You need to turn the tank around and cut an access hole in your bumper. This is how Roadtrek did it on their Chevy Express 3500 models. The access hole is roughly the size of a license plate so that you can connect the filling hose and put a screw driver on the overflow valve. You should go camp out at a propane refiller to see how they do it. :) The 100 pound DOT tanks can have the overflow valve but the ASME tanks are generally filled a bit differently (3/4 capacity for ASME VS weight for DOT BBQ bottles).

mobydick 11

also on my van i notice this is the only compartment that is not lockable. I am thinking the tank has to be accessible in the event of a fire . Maybe you should check Propane and fire codes.

i am not expecting the tank to be filed from under and around the rear diff, that's where the remote fill comes in. I found an example that shows the remote fill.

Attachments

• propane on promastar.jpg
    propane on promastar.jpg
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 31
  • propane fill.jpg
    propane fill.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 31

mobydick 11

It looks good and think it would work ,but i know they would not fill it in Ontario Canada . they have to read the last date of inspection that is stamped into the tank or on a welded tab . We go ten years between inspections . On up to 30 lb tanks we just recycle them and buy a new one . tanks like you have we go to a specific propane dealers and they have to by law replace the filler valves and inspect inside and outside for rust .They then stamp a new date on the tank.

Thanks. Everyone! I really don't want any dramas when trying to get the tank filled I think I will entertain removing the spare tire and making the entire tank visible / accessible.

Stevemo

That is an interesting install. They will still make you crawl under and close the vapour valve but maybe they'd fill it? Every location is different and all have their own interpretation of the law.

Read sections 3 and 4 of the Ontario regulations. The ASME tanks are visually inspected at each fill, there is no additional inspection or labeling here contrary to popular belief.

People in Ontario or travelling through Ontario should print a copy of this and keep it in the vehicle. I've found that installing a 2015 Dometic 3-way fridge has drastically cut down on propane consumption. I probably use half the propane compared to the rebuilt 1991 fridge.

mobydick 11

I would disagree with you , my tank has a welder on tag that the filler wipes off and reads as part of the visually inspection ,this is telling him the information that the tank meets code . also when a vehicle is being transferred to a new owner all propane equipment and tanks are to be inspected by a licensed propane inspector . I know this because the shop that inspect my campers has told me not to bring any more to them .Seems the MTO payed him a visit . to do the vehicle inspection certificate on a vehicle with propane the mechanic and shop must also hold a propane licence . but I do agree like a lot of things there are ten answers to the same question .

86scotty

Cynic
Lots of LPG fleet vehicles have the tank mounted under there but I know for a fact a lot of places won't fill it for liability reasons. 2 or 3 places I've tried to fill in the states with a side mounted propane tank (SMB/Westy) were very specific about this. They won't crawl under a vehicle to fool with it. All parts have to be visible and accessible easily from the side of the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk