Pugsly's FG rebuild thread

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I certainly like the idea of the indicators but I 'm certain they won't be there on the front wheels after the first mud hole so I'll stick with using the tyre wrench to check the wheel nuts when we are in bush. Good for road work as they are real easy to see.

Dan.

Yeah there's always that. I figure it is worth trying out but they may not hold up to trail use - we'll see!

pugslyyy

I am sure you have your reasons, but I would have used a winch with synthetic rope, not wire.
Much easier to work with, in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of synthetic (and have plenty of retired lying around) but Superwinch claims this winch is not suitable for synthetic. I have synthetic on all my big (i.e. recovery) winches. This one is such a lightweight puller the wire only looks like about 8 gauge so hopefully it is not a big deal.

pugslyyy

Awesome,

Thanks a lot for the photo of the indicators. I can see how that would be pretty easy to notice at a glance, of even less than a glance. If you are a person not in the practice of checking that stuff often, then it would stand out easier than might paint line. I always check that every day on my commercial vehicles, and I never check it on my personal ones.

Also the winch, very cool. We have a winch in our ambulances. The thing is on a cross bar slider on the roof so we can slide it out and winch the person up into the MaxPro, and then once he is in we can use the winch to pick the streacher up and the slider to slide him into the rack. I could try to find a photo if you would like. But this might make it easier to load multiple bikes from one winch, and it could be slid out of the way when you are climbing up inside it yourself. Not sure you care, but I felt like going on and on... lol

Thanks again for sharing your rebuild. Very cool stuff you have there!

I'll have photos soon, but my plan is to run the wire rope through a snatch block that I can move to several places. That way I can keep it mounted low but still have the pulls from where I need it. This may not work as intended so my plans may change (again) but I like the concept - whether I like it when I implement it remains to be seen!

If I like this little winch I will probably do another as part of a spare tire mount. These things are cheap enough to be pretty much disposable, I can get them for about $50 delivered off of amazon.

blackduck

Explorer
These things are cheap enough to be pretty much disposable, I can get them for about $50 delivered off of amazon.

Beware the "small cheap Chinese winch" for those little applications
I had one to haul my V strom onto the back of the truck
problem was when I came to use it the control box was so full of Pilbra dust the relays were clogged up
If your going to have the control box exposed my advice would be to invest an hour and some silicone to seal it up
handy advice from someone who had to push 240Kg up a steep ramp from a standing start :sombrero:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I certainly like the idea of the indicators but I 'm certain they won't be there on the front wheels after the first mud hole...
Someone that could probably speak to this would be John (whatcharterboat), as I know they fit these indicators to many of their mining vehicles.
As I have said, I have them on my truck too. but as yet I have not put them to the "mud test". They are a pretty tight fit on the nut and sit flush with the rim, so I am hoping they will handle reasonably bad environments.

pugslyyy

Beware the "small cheap Chinese winch" for those little applications
I had one to haul my V strom onto the back of the truck
problem was when I came to use it the control box was so full of Pilbra dust the relays were clogged up
If your going to have the control box exposed my advice would be to invest an hour and some silicone to seal it up
handy advice from someone who had to push 240Kg up a steep ramp from a standing start :sombrero:

I'm pretty sure all the little winches come from China these days, but at least Superwinch is a US brand and it is supposedly an "ATV Winch" meaning it should be able to withstand the environment on front of an ATV. We shall see!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
My personal experience with these Chinese winches is that the mechanicals in them are not that bad, but the grease they use is less than ideal.
Given that winches are devices that you sort of rely on working when needed, repacking them with a good quality grease is worth the effort.
For my main recovery winch (Runva 17,500 Lbs) and the ATV winch I use for lifting my spare wheels (Runva 3,500 Lbs) I totally disassembled them, cleaned them out and repacked both with AeroShell 33MS, which is an extreme pressure, lithium complex grease.

AeroShell Grease 33MS is a direct alternative to AeroShell Grease 17, which is what Warn recommend.
The difference between the two is that Aeroshell 17 is clay based whereas Aeroshell 33MS id LI-complex based.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Have you thought about going to a tire shop that has a 'Big Bertha' impact gun?
I'd bet for a $10 tip they would bust 12 nuts loose for you.

So I've been able to get every lug loose except for the 6 inner lug nuts on the passenger side rear. Makes me wonder if that corner has heated up due to a bearing or brake dragging issue. Will investigate when I finally get the wheel off...

pugslyyy

...even 1" gun running on CO2 couldn't break it free. Finally took standing on a super long extension and hopping / pushing down. Each lug sounded like a gunshot going off as it came loose. Still don't know what locked it on so tight.

pugslyyy

Pictures of the install. The two missing boxes are at the powder coaters. Next step is prep for the modifications to the service body to get back my 7 inches of rear axle flex (the new wheels took me down to around 4 inches). I also have some trimming to do on the front wheel arches.

SRW installed (1).jpg
SRW installed (2).jpg
SRW installed (3).jpg

pugslyyy

Looking great.
So what did you end up with for backspacing on those rims ?

It's the stock ATW backspacing. I have what they told me in my notes but let me measure the spare in the morning and give you the actuals.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I am not so sure I would fuss with the trimming of the front end...

Specifically I would wait until I twisted it up a bit and see how much actual rubbing is taking place. I suspect it would be rare that you would rub all the way into the plastic, and therefore likely that it would not even be needed. (the trimming that is.) In Jeeps a lot of people trim it up and find they never break into the place they trimmed in the first place. Some skip the trimming and rarely touch it and when they do it just pushes the plastic a little, and it goes back in place just fine afterwards.

Just saying...

Regards,

pugslyyy

So I am curious about your lug nut indicators. Do you have a link? My lug nut indicator was made by sharpie.

Just paint a line on the wheel and up the lug nut. If it spins you will know. A bit of rubbing alcohole and some elbow greese and you can clean that off of the wheel next time, then put the nut on, draw a new line... etc. Even works out in the middle of a desert. The cool thing is batteries are included in the sharpie model. ;)

Seriously though, why not just use paint or marker to indicate it. What is the value of the indicators?

You said you bought another fuso within four days, what do you plan to do with that one? Same same, or something different?

Love the truck, love the stories, looking forward to more more more!

Oh and would you show us some inteiror photos as well? Just like to get the complete picture.

Here is the actual installed indicators.

lug indicators - rear.jpg

lug indicators - front.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater