Pulley Block and Shackles for a 10,000# Winch

opie

Explorer
Antichrist-
Called warn again and was told the same thing- no. I asked why and was told that the sheave is not polished to a level that is required for a synthetic line. Also, the synthetic line will shrink (in outside diameter) to some degree under load causing it so fit further down in the groove and (i was told) that it will not be fully supported.
They guy said everything will probably be fine- however warn for the second time has stated that they do not stand behind their snatch block in use with synthetic line.
I am speaking only of model#63490 and have not inquired about other models.

The sheave doesnt need to be polished, it just shouldnt have any burrs or be rough from use. Steel cable can rough up a sheave quite nicely.

Also, the contact surface of the pully itself should be "U" shaped, not "V" shaped. a "V" shape will cause uneven loading of the line.

Another point, There are 2 sheave diameters to consider and they are dependent on what type of rope you are using. SK75 (Amsteel Blue, what MP's basic winch lines are) like an 8:1 sheave rating while Technora lines like a 16:1. What this means is for SK75 you need to have a minimum 4" pully and Technora needs a minimum 8".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach