Quad Cab Dakota build

riverrat88

Observer
Figured I might as well make a build thread, I will update it as I make changes so not very frequently.
It is a 04 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4.7L V8 automatic
Here is how it looked when I bought it

Now has
285/75R16 mickey thompson MTZ nice tires but wear a little fast, will get KM2 next
A little torsion bar lift and trimming for fit
Removed carpet, bedlined floor
storage under rear seat
CB radio and PA
removed intake resonators
KN filter
Glasspack
100w front lights

Plans:
camper shell with sleeping setup
front bumper w/receiver
rear bumper with tire swing out and fuel can swing out
aux fuel tank in stock spare location
roof rack
rock sliders
snorkel
2nd battery
OBA and air storage tanks
awning
possible SAS

Dakodu

2945221380096653830ORxcpV

is the bed on your truck long enought for sleeping???

D

DEEZLPWR

here ya go

attachment.php

Attachments

• truck1.JPG
    truck1.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,143
Last edited by a moderator:

riverrat88

Observer
I plan on having a platform fold out with legs to extend the sleeping platform from 5'3" to about 6'6" when the tailgate and shell hatch are open, with a sleeve between the two to make it weather tight

thanks DEEZLPWR for making the pic bigger

Nick02

how was take in the carpet out, how do the side moldings look without the carpet? how did you coat the floor? I really want my carpet gone... trucks don't need carpet!
I like :)

Last edited:

fowldarr

Explorer
I always thought these could make and excellent build platform, but not a lot of support out there for them. Will be interesting to see what you come up with. I'm watching.

brained

Adventurer
You'll definitely want to replace that front bumper. The first time it rubs against the ground it'll crack and/or shatter. Even if you go easy on it a surprise bump in the road will be enough to for it to bottom out and and just shred it.

I always thought these could make and excellent build platform, but not a lot of support out there for them. Will be interesting to see what you come up with. I'm watching.

x2

I almost bought one a few years back, but due to the IFS, my desire to tackle some mild crawling trails, and minimal aftermarket support, I chose the XJ instead. But I wish I had that v8 power now :drool:

Can someone shrink that Photochop? Mods??

riverrat88

Observer
the carpet was pretty easy to take out, both front seats center console and rear bench probably about 30 bolts and screws total took some time to scrape out the sound deadening liner tried to leave it in and as the deadening material flexed the bedliner cracked and started peeling. First did it with herculiner and redid with undercoating spray i drive barefoot some and like the smoother undercoating better than the rough bedliner. The side moldings don't look too bad but do flex a little if stepped on and do allow dirt to get underneath front bumper is one of the next things on the list but I have to decide whether I will use a body lift or not first

riverrat88

Observer
So it is time for a long overdue update some things have been completed and in the process of others.

Completed:
Camper Shell
Storage Platform
Full-size spare (finally)
Front Bumper (mostly anyways) - decided to use factory upper pieces after seeing Spencyg's build and realized it would save me alot of time
2nd battery
Power Inverter
Window tint
2" lift
New tires (same size and model)
Painted all chrome black
1.5" front wheel spacers
Air compressor

Work In Process:
Rear bumper w/ receiver, D-rings, Hi-lift mount, Tire and Fuel swing-outs

Immediate plans:
Reinstall cb (removed antenna when shell went on)
Relocate 2nd battery from bed to underhood with isolater and better overall setup
Fridge (may wait until weather warms up)
Rewire camper shell
Window covers in camper, carpet platform
Air tanks, wire compressor to fill tanks

pics to follow

Last edited:

riverrat88

Observer
bumper mock-up

bumper finished last winter, covered in snow

Before lift

As it sits now

Surf fishing

Camping on the Beach

Best pic of storage platform and camper shell while cooking breakfast

Last edited:

riverrat88

Observer
I am hoping to do a SAS in the summer for a few reasons
strength/reliability
more ground clearance
same or better mpg - proper gears, freespin hubs
same or better ride - leafs vs almost maxed out torsion bars

The hardest trails that I really do are Uwharrie and I don't have quite enough ground clearance but I don't beat it and generally drive like an old man.

Are the last 2 realistic? I am considering a mildly built 4bt swap in the fairly distant future, will a HP D44 front be strong enough for 35s/max 37s, 200whp/400wtq, and the extra probably 300lbs?

I think this covers everything up until this point and hopefully I will update as I go instead of almost a year later for some of these things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77