QUEST: Find an Eco-Overlander Vehicle

Robthebrit

Explorer
DesertRose said:
Thanks, Rob - I have been perusing links found on dieselcruiserhead's signature and understand the process and am interested but dubious - seems very labor-intensive. I don't have any objection to that but want to know what I'd be getting into.

What do you use for base oil for making your own biodiesel? What do you do with the glycerin?

I get the oil from a friend who supplies donuts to starbucks, his California bakery is near LA so I drive over and get it from him. For my initial tests, I started with virgin oil and then I progressed to oil that I had used myself and then on to his commercial oil. Used oil really does make a difference to the chemistry. From what I can tell always getting the oil from the same place helps to keep things consistent. You still have to do the tests for water content etc but you can take a good guess as to how much of the supply chemicals you will use for a batch.

The glycerin is a problem for an individual, the bigger co-ops have outlets for it - the cosmetic indutry of all places. To find a commercial outlet it needs to be refined and the equipment to do so is out of reach for an individual but some of the co-ops will take it from you. If you seach the bio-diesel forums you can usually find somebody willing to take it.

The glycerin makes a fantastic biodegradable degreaser, you can use a fair amount that way. For a larger quantities on the order of a few 5 gallon buckets, in Los Angeles at least, you can take it to the public Haz Mat drop off.

There is some manual labour but when you get setup with the tanks and filters its really not that much work. My concern is the fire hazard, the oil and biodiesel don't readily burn but methonal does and it burns hot enough to get the oil burning. There are also the issues with methonal being toxic to humans.

Rob

wd40

DesertRose said:
We're getting there - all you diesel guys out there - dieselcruiserhead, robthebrit, wd40 - you seem particularly conversant on biodiesel realities and on SVO/WVO. On the Biodiesel - I'm not interested in supporting problem-transference, that is, thinking I'm making a difference environmentally by choosing biodiesel over dino-diesel. [Biodiesel produced on a big scale, such as in Brazil and Argentina, is a big threat to biodiversity (including heritage crops) and cultural diversity (including small-share farms). I work in third-world community-based conservation, in Africa, and I just can't see that this would work for me and my reasons for swapping.]

So is it possible to find sustainably produced biodiesel, or make your own?

I have access to a decent, straight 4-speed manual FJ60 in my favorite desert tan - a diesel conversion would be awesome. If I can talk the owner into around $2500, I think it might be do-able.

I have found the few retailers of biodiesel in Arizona (that saddly I can count on one hand... even if I was a shop teacher that lost a couple fingers) are very good at providing information regarding the source of their biodiesel. Most commercial biodiesel customers are paying more than regular diesel and are pretty savy about the politics of the stuff. Western States in Phoenix buys from Blue Sun, which uses domestic agriculture products for their biodiesel.

http://www.gobluesun.com/

Since I don't want to modify my Jetta, I run commercial biodiesel. However, I have found the diesel HJ47 is the ideal candidate for running WVO directly. The cavernous cargo area coupled with heater lines run in for the rear heater is perfect. I also have a friend who is very involved in environmental politics... and owns 10 Denny's restaurants...

I'm looking for a Mercedes Diesel to use as a guinea pig, since most of the WVO info surrounds that platform. If I get the car and parts dialed in, maybe you guys could come up for a diesel conversion party :Mechanic: :)

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Redline said:
Very cool, and the swap is already done.

Definitely cool . . . but for me the Taco doesn't have all the criteria I'm after . . . I know, picky picky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal