Question about bull bars and bumpers

Thelgord

Hello all,

I was just wondering what your take on bumpers is. Basically I have 4 "types" and I was wondering which one I should consider.

1) The traditional bumper types such as ARB, AllPro and others make. These at first glance would seem the best choice, but they are heavy and would require other upgrades such as suspension.
2) The "Brush Guard". The ones that attach from underneath. These look really flimsy and I really couldn't see mounting anything other than a light or two. I could be wrong as I have never owned one.
3) The winch mount with recovery points. US Offroad makes this. Not really a bumpers, but it is, sort of a hybrid. Honestly this is what I am looking at most seriously at the moment, but I am trying to decide if I like it because I like it, or if I like it because it's something I haven't seen before.
4) The hidden winch mount. They slide in behind the factory bumper and creates a hide away winch, sort of.

I was just wondering what people here think. Any responses are appreciated.

thethePete

Explorer
Depends on your needs.

The first choice is the obvious one if you are in an area, or travel in an area prone to animal strikes.

The brush guard style I have installed on a few different trucks for customers, and you're exactly right. They're no good for anything beyond mounting a couple lights. I had a customer that was convinced it was a legitimate bull bar, got me to weld it to the frame and reenforce it.... Hit a 100lb deer and destroyed the front of his truck. Took out the bumper, grille, headlight, and fender. So yeah... They're pretty much worthless IMO.

I installed a winch mount bull bar from Western on a 2500 Ram, and that I would trust to a deer strike, actually, to that end, it got tested the next night and after picking the hair off, you couldn't tell anything had happened. It also has a full winch tray, but it effects your approach angle slightly, and definitely has a bulky look. If you pick one sturdy enough to take an animal strike, it's gonna be as "in your face" as a true replacement bumper, though probably a little cheaper. The one you suggested might save your rad, but your wings/headlights are still very susceptible to damage.

The hidden winch mount is basically going to be the same as above, but more descrete, if you're going for a low-profile look. Not sure how sturdy they are for serious winching.

This is based on experience with various other vehicles, not really Toyota specific. Hope it helps.

Clutch

<---Pass
All depends how much protection you want/need. The ARB's are for animal strikes, winch mount, jack lifting points, light and aerial mounts...a multi-function bumper if you will. Makes a darn good place to set a coffee cup and tools when in the garage too...

Brush guards are mostly for looks and are rather useless, other than mounting lights. Would cause more damage than good if in an accident.

Hidden winch/US Offroad if you only need a winch.

kwill

Observer
Agree with the others. ARB may be overkill and will require heavier suspension components. The brush guards are just that and are damage multipliers if you hit something more substantial. I very much like the US Offroad option. It offers some front end protection, good recovery points and good winch mount. And it doesn't completely alter the looks of the truck. It is very similar to the Southern Style Speed Slimline bumper for 4Runners.
21885690192_004371b216_b_zpsjob9y1ee.jpg

Dalko43

Explorer
A brush guard does serve purpose: it keeps vegetation, bushes, light tree branches, ect from denting or scratching up your front bumper. A lot of police cruisers use them for that reason.

But then again the front bumper on most cars is plastic at this point, so it really doesn't take much to dent or scratch, and I frankly don't care if that happens anyways.

If you think you might be going into some deep brush every so often, it might make sense. But don't confuse it with an actual offroad bumper that is designed to take abuse and be used for recoveries.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
In my experience, brush guards only get in the way. Someone in my old group of 4wheelers had one on his truck for a while but the mounting arms kept getting hung up on rocks. After a bit of that, we unbolted it and tossed it in the bed---much better!

Winch bumpers don't necessarily require any suspension mods. If anything, they help balance the rig a bit better once the back is loaded up with gear.

I love my old All-Pro winch bumper!

Clutch

<---Pass
A brush guard does serve purpose: it keeps vegetation, bushes, light tree branches, ect from denting or scratching up your front bumper. A lot of police cruisers use them for that reason.

Thought the police mainly use them to push vehicles out of the way?

Thelgord

So what I am getting is:

Plate bumpers = great (If you can afford the suspension at the same time)
US Offroad winch bumper = good
Hidden winch mount = not so good
Brush guard = don't buy

Correct?

scheefdog

Observer
Some of the plate bumper companies are doing aluminum now which results in about half the weight. I think most of them weigh 50ish pounds which should be fine on stock suspension.

thethePete

Explorer
Yes, that entire post was rather silly. Also, the push bars on the front of cop cars are not even close to the same thing as the ornimental brush guards by Westin, etc, that you see on the front of a soccer mom SUV.

Thelgord, more or less that sums it up. Again, depends on what you need out of it.

Dalko43

Explorer
thethePete;1983738. said:
Also, the push bars on the front of cop cars are not even close to the same thing as the ornimental brush guards by Westin, etc, that you see on the front of a soccer mom SUV.

What's the difference between the two?

forty2

Adventurer
What's the difference between the two?

The way they are built and the way they attach to the vehicle. Push bars are built for the purpose of pushing disabled and stranded vehicles out of traffic lanes for the safety of those in the vehicle in question and other motorists. As such, they need to be able to withstand the force of one 2.5 ton object nudging another 2.5 ton object over short distances. However, in a full on collision the front of the car is still toast. Brush guards are in no way built to the same standards.

Thelgord

The way they are built and the way they attach to the vehicle. Push bars are built for the purpose of pushing disabled and stranded vehicles out of traffic lanes for the safety of those in the vehicle in question and other motorists. As such, they need to be able to withstand the force of one 2.5 ton object nudging another 2.5 ton object over short distances. However, in a full on collision the front of the car is still toast. Brush guards are in no way built to the same standards.

huh ... had no idea ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad