Question about bull bars and bumpers

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I will say, I just put a free to me "brush guard" on my 80 series. It works great for tying off kayaks. But that truck never sees the off road and my Taco has an ARB bumper. One day I will find a used ARB for the 80 and give away the brush guard.

Thelgord

After doing a lot of reading over the last few hours, it would seem that ARB is only one that doesn't make you cut off the factory recovery points.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
After doing a lot of reading over the last few hours, it would seem that ARB is only one that doesn't make you cut off the factory recovery points.

Which bumpers require cutting anything? Most are direct bolt on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thelgord

US Offroad requires removing the hook and cutting off the loop, Body Armor 4x4 requires removal of the hook, as does road armor ...

[edit] at least they do for the 2012-15 Tacoma [/edit]

[edit 2] not that it really matters much as most people (more reading) seem to consider these as week metal and not to be trusted if your are REALLY stuck. [/edit 2]

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
So if a plate bumper is supposed to protect against animal strikes, why choose aluminum? Weight?

Yes. Aluminum can be built to withstand similar impacts as steel, it is more expensive and harder to work with is the reason it isn't more popular

Not all plate bumpers are created equal, take the ARB for an example, there are crush cans between the bumper and frame of the truck, they are there to absorb impact...some other manufactures don't have that.

BULLBAR-H.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
That was one reason I chose not to go with the ARB. You cant pull from the bumper, then again I would probably use the factory recovery points so I guess its just a matter of what you like. I wanted mine a bit different.

Clutch

<---Pass
That was one reason I chose not to go with the ARB. You cant pull from the bumper, then again I would probably use the factory recovery points so I guess its just a matter of what you like. I wanted mine a bit different.

Opposite for me, main reason I bought an ARB was for animal strikes...and winching is well...waaay down the list...coffee table seems to be its' number 1 use. :D :p

Though...pretty useless against with Moose and Elk up here in Idaho. Ok for the small mulies in SOAZ...came "this" close to using it one day, almost hit a mulie going 75 down the highway...almost, ******** puckering moment for sure (whew!)

While in AZ, never felt the need for winch...now in Idaho...definitely feel like I need one here.

Last edited:

Louisd75

Adventurer

That's not my experience with the ARB. It's been a while since I installed mine, but my fuzzy memory recalls that the bolts going into the end cap of the frame prevented the bumper from moving away from the truck with a hard pull. The bolts would allow the bumper to move aft in the event of a collision. I've definitely has no issues with winching other than a known issue with the relatively weak end caps on the first generation of Tacoma's.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Meh air bags are expensive! I'm sure it doesn't take much to set them off in a Tacoma. If you look at the front end with the plastic bumper removed it is pathetic. Just a thin aluminum little crash bar. A 1/4" aluminum bumper will provide much more protection. Maybe not from larger animals, but definitely smaller animals and light impacts. I'd be afraid a 10mph impact in the front of a tacoma would put it out of commission.

An aluminum plate bumper gets my vote. Better clearance, better protection, carries a winch and fairly light st 55lbs for a pelfreybilt. The ARB or other steel bumpers are heavy. The us offroad winch carrier isn't a bad setup, and is more reasonably priced, but if I remember right it weighs 65lbs. Does not improve front end clearance. However it would add some small amount of protection for the radiator/trans cooler etc.

The front hitches with portable winch mounts seem like a good idea, but in practice I didn't like it. A winch on a portable mount is big, heavy and awkward. And either you carry it all the time, or you don't have it when you need it. It sucks getting stuck in 2' of snow, sliding off of a trail out in the mountains, and having to climb into the back of the rig and drag the winch around. It sticks out too far to leave it up front while off road.

Thelgord

So many choices ... Now aluminum is in the mix ...

Honestly I can't see myself going with an aluminum plate bumper. Maybe I'm just too old school, but with steel you don't really have to worry to much about it being engineered correctly, it's just steel and you know it's strong. Of course I also have a truck with a plastic bed so ... maybe I should try to find one in the wild to see first hand before I decide. I am however leaning toward the ARB steel bumper.

The US Off-road option is good if you don't want to change the look of your taco, but as others have pointed out, it does nothing to improve clearance. Then again the cost is a lot lower.

I really appreciate all of the feed back this thread has gotten. You all really know your stuff and the wealth of experience is amazing.

Mako1114

Adventurer
I don't believe I have ever seen anyone regret purchasing an ARB bumper. I certainly don't regret buying mine and as clutch has indicated; it serves as a great coffee table when pumping gas, etc. :sombrero:

Cheers

cthonia

I have a plate bumper on my truck (03 gmc Yukon), from my experience with that, be prepared to upgrade suspension at the same time as the bumper is installed. I didn't, and the front suspension drooped enough that it was riding on the bumpstops, which split in half. I put in a cheap leveling kit to fix the problem, but I should have done it at the same time as the bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad