Question for the TDI folks

wagsww3

Explorer
I'll throw in my $0.02 and say go with the TDI. They are dead easy to work on once you familiarize yourself with them and easy to source parts for.

Thank you sir for your financial contribution! I think I'm starting to lean that way as the cleanest 110 I've found has the tdi, sals rear axle with disc brakes all around and well taken care of. The speed limit in parts of NM is 75 mph and it would be nice to be able to do that fully loaded. That's why I was wondering if I could squeeze a little more cruising power out of the tdi and how it would do at high altitude on some of my trips.

discotdi

Adventurer
The 130 at RMR is a good runner. At least it was at last years MAR. Tim drove it there from Bham AL. On the return trip he passed us like we were standing still. He told me it will cruise at 80 mph no problems. A 300tdi won't run like that without some mods. My 300 Disco would cruise all day at 70-72 but push it much more than that and it just didn't seem as happy.
The thing I don't like about the td5 is the alarm system. It has an immobilizer tied to the key fob, if you don't have the remote present it won't start. Even if you didn't lock the doors. The car sets the immobilizer automatically. Maybe they don't all have it, ask Kip.

DividingCreek

Explorer
If you want to run 75 all day long go td5. I ran one 100 for a couple of hours. Tdi won't do that, in fact once you push a tdi past 65 fuel economy drops dramatically.

wagsww3

Explorer
I know there has to be a compromise somewhere. I didn't realize there was that much "computer" involved with the td5. There is no way it can be as bad as an 08 jeep rubicon. Everything talks to a computer on that thing. I know I would be more than happy with either motor. The RMR truck is about $5k more than the cleanest 110 I've found with the 300. I guess I'm curious about the RMR truck because I know you all know a bit about it and if it is still a legit truck then if given the opportunity, I'd like to put my own spin on it and clean it up a bit. The 110 is just another great example of a tdi 110 in the U.S.

discotdi

Adventurer
the TD5 engine is well respected in the parts of the world where it is available. maybe even more than the 300tdi. One great thing about the engine is the timing chain rather than belt. also it is easy to tune it for more power without adding lots of extra parts, although bigger intercoolers etc still help. Parts availability in the long run will probably be better than the 300tdi. A handheld scanner to check codes and diagnose problems is actually pretty inexpensive now. I would go with the TD5 130, sounds like that is what you really want. Everything I have read in LRO magazine etc gives high marks to the td5 for reliability.

wagsww3

Explorer
That sounds pretty good. I have a hand held computer to diagnose electrical problems with my jeep and 04 disco. If it isn't the same type then I have no problem buying the tools I need to fix a problem in the field. I guess my next step would be to go hands on with the trucks I've found and give them a real close look at everything they have to offer. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions when I see them.

66rover99

There was a point made earlier in the thread about the Defender 130 being a mother to get around in tight spots. I was with the 130 (now for sale at RMR4x4) on Mackenzie Trail in 2009. I was in a Discovery II (see me in the pic with my legs hanging out of the drivers door ;-) ), and there was a white 130 and 2 LR3s. While all of us made it through with no huge issues other than lots of winching and chain-sawing, this Defender 130 stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of its abilities. The combination of the length, suspension, and new style BFG Mud Terrains just worked. Here's a few pics: http://beyondthelane.tv/wordpress/?p=146

DividingCreek

Explorer
Yep the white truck used to belong to Dale/Rovertrader here. Its now @ LR Las Vegas.
It cracks me up when people say to me "you can't wheel that" refering to the 130.

66rover99

A very fun trip. I've been through 4 times, each taking around a week. I think at this point, that's enough for a lifetime, so if you want to buy that 130 and take it again, here's the route info: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1115047 and more pics here.

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but I suppose its relevant to your decision to purchase a Defender 110 or 130. I'm saving my pennies for a 130 myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh