question to all LR owners

JackW

Explorer
That is cool, is that without any serious work done to it? I have a 2.25 D to put in my '65 but people keep trying to talk me out of it...

The old 2.25s seem to go and go and go, they just don't go anywhere fast. Petrol or Diesel... :D

I rebuilt the engine somewhere around the 200,000 mile mark. The engine is pretty worn now - at the rebuild I had to bore it out to the maximum oversize available on the pistons so it will have to be either sleeved or have the block replaced at the next rebuild.

I've had to go into the transmission 3 or 4 times over the last thirty years I've owned it - it's off the road now with a broken third/fourth synchronizer (the only one its got).

Most important thing to do with the 2.25 is to balance it - I had mine done by a great machinist and the thing ran as sweet as any I've ever ridden in.
In a 2.25 you are going to be at the rev limit a lot on the highway - mine would do around 68 mph at full throttle (downhill). It's much happier at 55. The 2.5 normally aspirated diesel is supposed to be a really good motor too with a bit more grunt and a couple of hundred more rpm on the top.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Why? Easy - simplicity. Land Rovers are not reliable, except in the fact that when they break, they are easy and cheap to fix; and parts are everywhere!

Maybe in your neck of the woods but parts are a little more expensive and harder to find over here in the US. Yes parts are available by several vendors but pulling into a local auto parts store all you will find are air filters and windshield wipers. I do agree wholeheartedly that they are easy to fix and my 130 crew cab has been as reliable as my Toyota 4runner.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Maybe in your neck of the woods but parts are a little more expensive and harder to find over here in the US. Yes parts are available by several vendors but pulling into a local auto parts store all you will find are air filters and windshield wipers. I do agree wholeheartedly that they are easy to fix and my 130 crew cab has been as reliable as my Toyota 4runner.

True, I tend to forget the USofA is a Land Rover dry zone. But most of the rest of the world is okay. The old Soviet States could be better for old stuff but Defender bits are fine with some good LR clubs. In fact LR clubs are the most prolific single marque clubs I have found - my wife refers to them as the International Brotherhood of the Land Rover :)

jatibb

Adventurer
http://www.rangerovers.net/index.shtml#introhead
found this site before purchasing my first rr classic. very helpful.. and truthful.
if your capable of doing your own work they are awesome, if not id rather have a toyota (besides a land cruiser)same problems with expense)
have put over 200k on both, a 91 and a 92
id really like 02 d2 though (4.6,cdl,...)

AzRover

Observer
Oh, one more thing… If you’re over 6-1 or so, you’ll never know just how fast you’re going between about 50 and 80. The steering wheel blocks my line of site at the top of the speedo.

dd

I'm 6'6" and I can see all of the speedometer on my 03 Disco. My problem is the rear view mirror on the windshield blocks a lot of my view, it's mounted so low. I do have head room.

Snagger

Explorer
I'm looking for an expedition rig to go on 1 week to 1 month outings. I see so many members on here with toyotas and wonder why you guys build up LR's instead? I love the history of LR, the camel trophy, seeing them blazing trails in the amazon jungle or on the open plains of africa while watching nature shows, even as a young boy my old man couldnt keep me away from the LR displays at the auto show. But with the direction the company is heading and all the negative reliability and expense issues I keep hearing, why do you guys choose LR's?

I'm a tall guy, 6 foot 3 and have a 70lbs K-9 I will be taking on my expeditions. Honestly I'm not looking to conquer moab or the rockies but rather I will be moving to eastern kentucky which is ripe with thick forests and tight challenging trails. I'm looking to sleep in the back possibley or doing the roof top tent thing. I love the visability in LR's, full 360, they're the perfect vehicle design, but I can't get over the reliabilty issues and possbile expenses once they break down. So let me hear your thoughts, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time,
-SaMingTRD

The earlier Land Rovers, like Series vehicles and pre-TD5 Defenders, have no electronics to cause trouble in the middle of nowhere and tend to have very basic engineering. Reliability issues tend to affect vehicles that are neglected or abused - I have had very few problems with my 109 or RRC as I do decent servicing and maintenance. Any vehicle will suffer from age, wear and tear, so thinks like radiators, water pumps, track rod ends and brake components will occasionally need replacing, but no well maintained vehicle should fail in a way that renders it unusable, and none of my vehicles have broken down since I went through them with a fin tooth comb years ago.

Defenders and Series vehicles are very tough, extremely adaptable and while they may not be quite as dependable as Japanese vehicles, they are much easier to repair and vastly easier to source parts for all over the globe. So, it's a toss up as to whether you want a vehicle that is unlikely to develop a fault but if it does will be catastrophic, or a vehicle that is a little (only a little if well maintained, remember) to have minor issues on a trip but will keep on going either with the fault, a "bush" or improvised repair or a proper in-field repair.

KenR

Holy thread revival Batman!

I'm a relatively new DII owner and early enough on the ownership curve that the Land Rover doesn't annoy me yet. That said, I recognize there may be the day when I get sick of twisting the wrenches and just wanna vehicle I can drive and put away wet.

I dig KTM's and Husaberg's too. Same deal - they're not Hondas, but offer a great ownership experience if you know what to expect.

For me, I wanted a simple platform with solid axles that I could easily work on myself. No outside mechanics unless absolutely necessary.

I tried to buy a 93-97 Land Cruiser, I really did. The problem is that used examples (at least within reasonable driving distance from me) that aren't rust buckets with a quarter-million miles on them cost two-to-three times as much as a Disco in decent condition. The trade off of course is extra time spent keeping after little things so they don't become big things and right now I can live with that.

I like the heritage, the way it drives, the visibility from the front seats, and its uniqueness. When I go out to the garage and see a small puddle of oil underneath I smile because I don't have that much invested into it. It doesn't represent a car payment with expensive insurance. And I'll just as quickly take it for a 3,500 mile round trip to explore remote desert and mountain roads and trails as I would my newer GMC Duramax truck. The difference is I'll have more fun in the Land Rover and if it does break, chances are I'll be able to fix it and continue on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk