Questionable 4Runner?

Clark White

Explorer
I'm in the market for a 4Runner and came across this: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/ctd/1099778871.html

I have talked to the guy, and he says he replaced the engine because the old one needed new timing belt, water pump, head gasket, etc., and he felt it was better to just replace the whole engine... He says the replacement was a half cut from Japan with 4k mi on it, it now has about 25k mi on the new engine. SOUNDS like a good deal, but also smells of a fish market. What do you guys think of this? Oh, and the engine was installed by his friend, not a dealership or reputable mechanic. But then again, a half cut from Japan is still a TOYOTA 3.4? Or not necessarily?

Thanks!
Clark White

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
It does not sound like a good deal at all. I've seen some recently for less money and better history.

My mom will be selling her 2002 4runner soon if you are interested I can PM you the details. Not sure how much of a hurry you are in.

Clark White

Explorer
I'm not in a real big hurry. Mt Taco, while temporarily 2x4, is still perfectly drivable. I'm basically looking for any 4Runner that lower millage, good condition, 6cyl, and manual transmission. An e-locker would be nice, but I can always put an ARB in there, so it is not a must.

Clark

jh504

Explorer
I would hold off on that one. We were in the market a few months ago and I found some that were simularly priced but with better history as well. I would rather have a factory 3.4 with 170XXX on it than a new one that was installed by some shade tree mechanic. That is a very good motor from the factory.
I will keep my eye out around here in Raleigh and let you know if I see something in your price range.

Clark White

Explorer
Thanks! I can go as high as maby 8k or 9K. I'm not super anal about it since I'm going to turn it into an expedition rig, but I want drive line to be solid anyway. Thanks again all! :victory:

Clark

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I'm in the market for a 4Runner and came across this: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/ctd/1099778871.html

I have talked to the guy, and he says he replaced the engine because the old one needed new timing belt, water pump, head gasket, etc., and he felt it was better to just replace the whole engine... He says the replacement was a half cut from Japan with 4k mi on it, it now has about 25k mi on the new engine. SOUNDS like a good deal, but also smells of a fish market. What do you guys think of this? Oh, and the engine was installed by his friend, not a dealership or reputable mechanic. But then again, a half cut from Japan is still a TOYOTA 3.4? Or not necessarily?

Thanks!
Clark White

If your budget is 8-9k then I would go for it because you will have enough left over to tackle any drivetrain issues. Manuals are hard to find so if the body and chassis is good then you should be ok.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
I'd hold off and find another one. I don't know if I would trust someone's friend putting an engine in it, since you don't know if it was done correctly.

toy_tek

Adventurer
I have no idea if this truck is a "good deal" since I haven't been watching the 3rd gen market... but...I have a different perspective on what seems to be the question at hand.

Who cares if it is somebody's friend or a dealer doing the install? Does it run? Does it have any codes? Is it leaking? Is the compression good? Is it secure? Is the wiring & hose routing clean & secure? Does the engine have a paper trail? An engine change isn't rocket science. We all know even dealerships and "reputable mechanics" occasionally screw things up royally. There is no hard and fast truth as to the reliability of work accomplished by this entity or that. A dealership or shop might warranty directly related issues (by their definition) but if you don't live nearby or your next issue is deemed not related to the engine install - what good is that anyway? At least the guy seems up front just mentioning the engine change... he could have skipped that entirely. My guess is if this guy had this engine changed by a "shop" his asking price might even be higher.

If you know what you're looking at then you should be able to tell if it was installed correctly, if you don't, then have someone who does take a look.

If the sellers story is true (half-cut engine) then I'd rather have that (with 25k) than a head gasket change documented by a dealership on a 175k engine. Because at that point all the rings, bearings, seals, etc all have 150k less miles on them.

Here's a thought: use the above mentioned "shadetree mechanic" reason and lowball him a bit. Maybe this is the steal you're looking for.

Maybe it isn't. Buyer beware. But if you do a little investigating you'll at least know if you should negotiate a sale or not.

Nullifier has a good point - if your budget is that much higher then you've got a lot of wiggle room regarding extras and additional maintenance.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Don't mean to be dense here but what is a "half cut" engine? :confused:

As to whether it's a good deal, I sure as hell wouldn't drop 5 large on a vehicle with almost 200k on the clock and an engine that was installed by a buddy, but that's just me. I tend to be somewhat risk averse.

If it was a $2k beater, maybe, but not for 5 grand.

It also bothers me a bit that any other SUV with this mileage and history would go for maybe $2,000 (if you're lucky.) Don't take my word for it: Look up Mitsubish Montero LS and SR models (one of which has an E-locker, BTW, can't remember which one), look up Troopers, or look up Nissan Pathfinders, even Discoveries, you won't find them near this price range if they've got this kind of mileage and a replaced engine.

Then ask yourself whether that "T" badge on the grille is worth $3,000.

It wouldn't be to me, but of course, YMMV. :D

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Don't mean to be dense here but what is a "half cut" engine? :confused:

"Half cut" means a car/truck literally cut in half and sent over. It’s for import regulations, as you can’t import a whole vehicle without meeting DOT standards in the US, so companies cut them in half for the engine and parts.

To the OP, I’d pass as well. Story seems fishy. Why did the engine need a HG? Overheat? If he’s that careless with the engine, perhaps the other parts of the vehicle was not taken care of, either. Granted 5-sp, V6 4Runners are harder to come by, but they are out there, and since you’re not in a hurry, you’ve got time to find a better deal.

jh504

Explorer
"Half cut" means a car/truck literally cut in half and sent over. It’s for import regulations, as you can’t import a whole vehicle without meeting DOT standards in the US, so companies cut them in half for the engine and parts.

To the OP, I’d pass as well. Story seems fishy. Why did the engine need a HG? Overheat? If he’s that careless with the engine, perhaps the other parts of the vehicle was not taken care of, either. Granted 5-sp, V6 4Runners are harder to come by, but they are out there, and since you’re not in a hurry, you’ve got time to find a better deal.

Another good point, that was in the back of my mind. If the 3.4 went out that early he probably doesnt take care of his stuff.
Also with an $8 or $9,000 cap You should be able to find an excellent 3rd gen 4runner, low miles, all factory (no buddy builds) manual with a locker.
Also, unless something is done by a professional, even if it is something as "easy" as an engine install, factory is usually better. The more intact the vehicle is when you buy it the better off you will be in the long run. I have bought a lot of vehicles with small or large issues because I got a good deal. I usually regret it.

mgb

There are plenty of problems that may only show up later on a shade tree mechanic job. Things like careless wiring routing can lead to shorts years later. Or a hack job on a fitting might lead to a difficult to detect leak long after the fact.

The good thing about dealer mechanics is that they always do things by the book so you can figure out what's wrong when something happens.

My money would go to a cheaper unmolested unit, even with more miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven