Questions about 2nd gen 4runners.

strap22

Observer
Having owned a few 2nd Gen. 4Runners I would say if you can find a 3rd or 4th Gen. buy them. The 2nd Gen. was a great platform to build from they are underpowered and lord help you if you regear. The 90,91,and some 92's have a smaller inner axle shaft and the later '92s and up have a thicker one. The tailgate is great on the 2nd Gen. but I would trade that anytime for a 3.4 liter. The 3rd Gen. has Coilovers while the 2nd Gen. has Torsion Bars. For the money the 3rd and 4th Gens. would be my only choice.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I don't know what the exchange rate is for US vs Canadian $$ but I just got a 99 4runner, 3.4 auto, with 117k miles (187,000km) for $7900, and it has an E-locker to boot.

Around here people refer to the 3.0l V-6 as the "three-point-slow." ;)

Sounds like you can afford an older 3rd gen, so I'd say take that over a 2nd gen. Not dissing the 2nd gen but I can't think of any specific aspect of the 2nd gen that would make it preferable to the 3rd gen, except possibly the tailgate and that's a pretty minor consideration.

IIRC the 3rd gen is also easier to lift because it has coils with a-arms vs. the torsion bars of the 2nd gen.

jh504

Explorer
I currently own a 2nd Gen and I have owned a couple Tacos with the 3.4 and it is by far the better engine. As was pointed out the front end of the 3rd gen 4runner/1st gen Taco is much easier to work with also. If I had up to 12,000 to spend I would go with the 3rd Gen, elocker hands down. If you dont want to spend much money though, the 2nd Gen is an incredibly capable, cheap 4x4. Find one with a factory rebuilt top end, rip out the ABS and youv got a $2,500 offroad machine. 2nd Gens have a few flaws but they are still a very good vehicle, and the tailgate is awesome.

instantninja

be carefull of those jap imports, I own a 92 surf, with a 2.4 turbo diesel. I had the head crack from front to back on mine. the truck was down for a couple weeks and cost me $3000. I didn't go with the usual replacement head though, I got mine from a place called Allhead in australia, the use a modified casting, and incorporate a steam bypass port on the back of the head to help elminate hot spots that cause the heads to crack. after getting it fixed, I've put 40,000 km on it with no problems what so ever.
if you can find a 93 or 94 with a 3 liter TD for a reasonable price jump on it.
all of those prices are really high though. you might want to check in and around alberta as well, there mare some 4runners in good shape for a good price here.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
If those are the best prices in Canada, I vote flying down and picking one up here in the US. You can do MUCH MUCH better for your money. If you were looking to fly down, I'm sure there are guys that would be willing to search out some 4Runners for you. (Including me.)

If you want a 5-speed, look for a '97-'00. I'd probably stay away from '96's, because some of them had headgasket issues. (3.4L V6's).

I've had three 3.4L V6's now and all of them have been flawless. They're not powerhouses, but just good, reliable engines that get the job done.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Having owned a few 2nd Gen. 4Runners I would say if you can find a 3rd or 4th Gen. buy them. The 2nd Gen. was a great platform to build from they are underpowered and lord help you if you regear. The 90,91,and some 92's have a smaller inner axle shaft and the later '92s and up have a thicker one. The tailgate is great on the 2nd Gen. but I would trade that anytime for a 3.4 liter. The 3rd Gen. has Coilovers while the 2nd Gen. has Torsion Bars. For the money the 3rd and 4th Gens. would be my only choice.
Strapp I know you know Toyotas and I'm not trying to argue with you or question your opinion but...

IMO The older trucks are just flat out tougher vehicles though. I love 3rd gen 4 Runners, but they pale in comparision to the earlier trucks in terms of frame strength and I would say that from a durability stand-point the old T-Bar IFS is stronger although not as comfortable or tunable.

The power issue is absolutely correct. The thing about these odler trucks is that they were way overbuilt and are hard to beat if you're into building your rig from the ground up. You can throw a 3.4 into a 2nd gen now days for alot less then it used to be becasue everyone's done it and it's a well documented adn quicker process now. Don't want the V-6??? Then throw the 3RZ 4cyl in and if, like me you've always dreamed of Diesel-Power, throw a 1KZ-T in it adn you'd have about the perfect truck IMO.

I guess what it all come down to is strength versus comfort. They'er both Toyotas sdo they're heads and ashouldersd above the rest in terms of reliability, but compared to one another, the older truck (1st and 2nd gen 4Runners)) are tougher, but the newer (3rd and 4th gen 4Runners) are alot comfier. Maybe you don't need all that added frame strength. Then in that case, it's hard to beat a 3rd Gen V6 5Spd 4Runner IMO. IF they threw a 5spd behind the V8 (I'm sure the R150/1 could handle it, Ivan Stewart used them...I think...) that would have been an awesome combo.

I'm just more into older trucks and puting what I want into them instead of taking what was offered, but that's just me. You may not feel the same way. Either way you're buying a Toyota so you're making the right decision ;) .

Cheers

Dave

tacollie

Glamper
I had 90 4runner and now a 2000. I am way happier with the 2000. My 90 was a money pit. I had brake issues, head gasket issues, and front end issues. I bought is used in 200 with 165k miles on it from a firefighter that had all the maintenance records. I sold it at 185k miles. I love the look of the 2nd gen trucks and I think if you could find one that has truly been exceptionally well taken care of it would make a great vehicles, but I think the 3rd gens are way better truck all around. It has more room, better milage, more power, and plenty of aftermarket support. I miss the tailgate but the rear window always gave me trouble on the 90. I get 20mpg or more on my stock 2000 every day of the week, I never hit that in my stock 90 with the 3.0. With the factory locker the 2000 goes way more places than my 90 ever did. I loved my 2nd gen but I could go all day about its short coming and after owning a 3rd gen I am sold on the newer trucks. Maybe the frame isn't as strong on the 3rd gens but the rest of the truck is better imo. I would get a 25 year old fj60 of a 3rd gen 4runner over a 2nd gen. Both trucks were/are stock v6s with 5 speeds. Those are just my experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven