Questions About Shocks/Springs Ram 2500

UglyViking

Any news regarding the Bilsteins? I'm running 37s with AEV 3" Dualsport suspension.
Battle ready, the truck is approx 9500lbs with the wedge camper in the back. Looking for options to upgrade the rather flimsy 5100s.
When researching the pages from Thuren and Carli, I wonder if the King and Fox sets will match regarding length and valving? Anyone running a comparable setup?
You're gonna have to reach out to get something custom most likely. His front shocks may work without mods but the rear is 1" taller than his springs. I'd reach out to Thuren and ask if they can build you something special. I know AEV showcased those 8100s a year or two ago at SEMA, but I've not heard anything on release.

Jenzz

Thanks guys. I was just hoping for something off the shelf, after reading this notice:
ANY NEW KING 2.5 ORDERS ARE EXPECTED TO SHIP IN 8-10 MONTHS. WE ARE HOPEFUL KING CAN IMPROVE ON THIS TIMELINE, BUT BE PREPARED FOR A LONG WAIT!!
If it has to be a custom order, I might probably be better off to get something here in germany directly. Not sure yet, since it is not super urgent.

UglyViking

I would say that I do quite enjoy my Kings, and find them a marked improvement over stock, and even over Thurens "Overland" shocks (which I consider an OEM +).

I'd also try reaching out to AEV directly and seeing what recommendation they give.

Jenzz

I know it's a rather generic question, but what do you think about Radflo Custom Shocks?

BigBrokenZJ

I’ve previously mentioned my rear end wiggle/wag on my 2500, particularly on concrete freeway joints. I decided I’m going to install the Thuren rear track bar and reassess. If it is satisfactory the next thing will be Fox 2.0 shocks for the stock rear springs.

I’ve been battling a wag on a power wagon since I got it (used 2018). I have fox 2.0s in the rear and find them too soft. Last week I installed a hellwig rear sway bar and it made all the difference in my rear wiggle. I have thuren kings on the way to fix the shock issue.

TireNerd

In response to some of my previous posts under username WILDPEAK (I have changed my username to TireNerd as a result of a job change from Falken Tires to Les Schwab Tires), I am glad to report that I have solved all of the oscillation and highway instability on my 2017 Power Wagon. I purchased airbags and an entire Thuren suspension and installed each item step by step over a few weeks to see which components actually solved the highway wobble, and documented the results with each change.

Initially the OE Power Wagon Suspension had the issue, followed by the Carli suspension with Fox 2.0's (and I was too heavy). With many trips planned on the books and safety being priority, I hastily removed the Carli suspension and installed the AEV suspension thinking that would solve all issues, when I should have just upgraded the shocks to 2.5's or 3.0s.

While not 100% conclusive, ultimately the Thuren-tuned King 2.5 rear shocks with extra rebound damping in the rears combined with the rear trackbar solved the stability issue, the rear is always under control now. Even with the rear sway bar REMOVED, it sways a bit around corners but very predictably and does not oscillate side to side on the highway as it did in the past with lesser shocks. While the main culprit of this issue is the inboard mounted rear coil springs as we all know, the fix is really controlling those inboard springs in my experience. I came to this conclusion when the AEV Bilstein 5100 shocks were blown out after less than 10k miles, and even with the super stiff OE RAM 2500 non power wagon springs, I was able to get the truck to oscillate on the highway, although not as scary as the stock power wagon configuration. At that point, I realized that that no matter how stiff the springs on these trucks, you have to control the side to side motion, either with (1) air bags to move some of the spring rate outboard, (2) more damping control in the shocks, (3) more air pressure in the tires since they are mostly undamped, or as some have reported having success with, (4) a stiffer swaybar (or some combination of those aforementioned solutions).

Because I wanted the best of both worlds, maximum articulation off-road and high speed highway stability for long trips, I opted for NOT attempting to control the rear with the swaybar, that would limit articulation, but rather control it with damping (King 2.5s) and air bags (outboard stability if needed). I suppose if you are super heavy with a camper, maybe you would want to keep the swaybar and/or upgrade to the Hellwig, but that was not needed in my case.

In red are the configurations with issues, the common issue being under-damped rear shocks.

Expedition Portal Post (0).png

Expedition Portal Post (1).jpg
Expedition Portal Post (2).jpg

Expedition Portal Post (3).jpg

Expedition Portal Post (4).jpg
Expedition Portal Post (5).jpg
Expedition Portal Post (6).jpg

Expedition Portal Post (7).jpg

I hope my pain and documented experience will help some others out there for years to come!

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I know it's a rather generic question, but what do you think about Radflo Custom Shocks?
I had them for a short time when I bought my truck in 2007. Lorenz supplied them. I live 5 miles from the Pacific ocean. I had issues with the shafts rusting. The valving was fine I just couldn't get any mileage out of them.

nater

Adventurer
There is a new contender - carbon shocks - thuren seems to be developing them with a piston of his own design. I do run his kings with carli +2 springs in the rear. I love the ride, but ended up with sumo springs to control the squat with my travel trailer hooked up.

UglyViking

There is a new contender - carbon shocks - thuren seems to be developing them with a piston of his own design. I do run his kings with carli +2 springs in the rear. I love the ride, but ended up with sumo springs to control the squat with my travel trailer hooked up.
Did you have to do anything to run the Carli +2"? I currently have the Thuren +1" rear, and it's so soft that my truck is squatting with the cap and spare, it will be worse once I add drawers. I've been thinking about doing the Carli +2" coil for the time being.

nater

Adventurer
Did you have to do anything to run the Carli +2"? I currently have the Thuren +1" rear, and it's so soft that my truck is squatting with the cap and spare, it will be worse once I add drawers. I've been thinking about doing the Carli +2" coil for the time being.

They recommend 1" bump stop drops in the rear (although a PW already has them) - I run those, and no other modifications. It was ok with my 1200lb tongue weight trailer (a little squat) but the sumo springs keep me dead level...

UglyViking

They recommend 1" bump stop drops in the rear (although a PW already has them) - I run those, and no other modifications. It was ok with my 1200lb tongue weight trailer (a little squat) but the sumo springs keep me dead level...
Sorry for the questions. Did you run Thuren tuning in the shocks, or did you have to run different valving? I'm hoping this is my solution, although I'd love to jump over to the full 3.0 Dominator system from Carli, I don't have the dire need and have other mods planned that are more important to me. If I can get away with a set of coils, and bump stop drops, then I'll be a happy camper.

chet6.7

Explorer
What are your thoughts good and bad on the Sumo's? What color did you use? Thanks.

nater

Adventurer
What are your thoughts good and bad on the Sumo's? What color did you use? Thanks.

I used the black (the softest they offer for the 2500s) - So far, I love them... 4 bolts, and they come off if I want to run normal bump stops. They dont seem to impact daily ride quality, and when I do hit them on the street, I cant tell (I can only tell based on witness marks on the axle).

nater

Adventurer
Sorry for the questions. Did you run Thuren tuning in the shocks, or did you have to run different valving? I'm hoping this is my solution, although I'd love to jump over to the full 3.0 Dominator system from Carli, I don't have the dire need and have other mods planned that are more important to me. If I can get away with a set of coils, and bump stop drops, then I'll be a happy camper.

I actually run carli 2.5 kings in the rear - but a little birdy has told me the shock dimensions (collapsed/extended) are basically the same. Thuren valving should work fine in my opinion (I would go stage 3-4 if it were me)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger