Quick options for my fridge power

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
On lead acid batteries when they are discharged below 11 volts too many times they lose capacity. It happened to me before, even the high performance agm's can only handle a couple of discharges to 0 percent and they lose capacity.
When you charge them they are able to reach 14.4 volts quickly but won't last long when you put a load on them.
The goal zero 500 should work good for you, the newer goal zeros are suppose to able to take more amps during charging to charge more quickly. They are solid performers just a little expensive. The 500 model should be a 50ah unit which is comparable to a 100ah lead acid. And the goal zeros you can take them down to 0 percent (about 9 volts with a 3s li-ion lithium) with no problem at least 300 cycles, if you discharge halfway they will last even longer. Unlike lead acid, you can charge them at your convenience.

Mtpisgah

Ok guys, I did some testing today and found the following:
-when I connect the Dometic and its hardwire kit directly to the Genesis it runs with no issue, so the battery is actually good.

-when I connect the fridge through the camper fuse block it does not operate.

-If I measure across the fuse block wires I get 12.7v.

-when I start putting fuses in and connecting the fans, lights, and fridge, it drops to 7.8 or less, even without the items turned on.

-this leads me to believe I have a short in the 6ga power wire from the Genesis to the camper fuse block or the block itself has issues. It was fine last week, so I am wondering if running the battery down somehow damaged the wires block. Is that possible?

I think am going to try to get wire when I get to Taos and rewire from the Genesis to the rear fuse block and/or replace the block. Unfortunately I have all the tools needed for that at home, so I guess I am buying them again (wire crimps, wire crimpers, etc). Option two is to find a trustworthy shop in Taos that could help me with this if I choose to give up and let them handle it. Do any of you have a recommendation? I could possibly wait until I get to Ouray, but would prefer to address it before then.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Ok guys, I did some testing today and found the following:
-when I connect the Dometic and its hardwire kit directly to the Genesis it runs with no issue, so the battery is actually good.

-when I connect the fridge through the camper fuse block it does not operate.

-If I measure across the fuse block wires I get 12.7v.

-when I start putting fuses in and connecting the fans, lights, and fridge, it drops to 7.8 or less, even without the items turned on.

-this leads me to believe I have a short in the 6ga power wire from the Genesis to the camper fuse block or the block itself has issues. It was fine last week, so I am wondering if running the battery down somehow damaged the wires block. Is that possible?

I think am going to try to get wire when I get to Taos and rewire from the Genesis to the rear fuse block and/or replace the block. Unfortunately I have all the tools needed for that at home, so I guess I am buying them again (wire crimps, wire crimpers, etc). Option two is to find a trustworthy shop in Taos that could help me with this if I choose to give up and let them handle it. Do any of you have a recommendation? I could possibly wait until I get to Ouray, but would prefer to address it before then.
Sounds to me that the Genisis has/is only running on one battery and they are only showing the full beans when paired, and the lazy battery is sucking the life out of the good one,

This was my whole point with going with the PLB or Goal Zero etc etc, You don't have all this shineola to deal with plus it is a lot of dead weight, Keep your GZ to run the fridge,

Your on board batteries need to be taken out of the vehicle and charged on thier own as in one at a time with a normal charger and then with something like the Noco G15000 / 15A smart charger and once charged with the Noco switch it to the repair mode and it will do that in exactly 4 hours then hit the repair mode again and see if that decalcifies the batteries and gets them to except a good Charge, Then reinstall them back in to the Vehicle,

Bottom line is it sounds like that Charging system in the Vehicle is not setup right as to when it cuts in and out and at what Voltage, My Deep cycle batteries are 4 years old next week or the week after and each one after 24 hours rest from coming off the Charger read 13.35 to 13.4++ Volts.

Anyways thats my thoughts about it, Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob