Raising/Training kids for Overland Travel?

EOE4x4

Observer
Holy. Cow. That's a tight fit.

That's what I was thinking! I think the Dakota's got a little less room than my Cruiser? But more comfortable for sure than a 62. Offarex, You're my hero :). I've been wanting to do the trip to CO/UT also; got anywhere with more pics of the trip? How often did you stop? How long did it take to get to CO?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
We went tent camping, to a walk in site, on July 4th. My son was born on July 20. He started camping early:sombrero:. He took his first steps in a camp ground and celebrated most of his first 10 birthdays camping. This summer, 26 years later, he and I went camping in the Sierra. I felt great that he had learned to enjoy the outdoors from us.

We really didn't do anything special, the same stuff we always did just with three instead of two. Most important, don't be reluctant to go because you have a child, it all works out and you all adapt. And don't over think it, people crossed the country in wagons with kids, it's not rocket science.

One last thing, "God made dirt and dirt can't hurt." let your kid crawl, play and get filthy it will wash off.

EOE4x4

Observer
Love all the stories about teenage and grown-up kids! Very encouraging!
It's nice to hear stories from parents who aren't like the "bubble-wrap your kid" helicopter parents that we see around town.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Some good tips there

Worth pointing out that you can never have enough wipes or enough old carrier bags

Hone your singing voice and get some good backing tracks

My eldest (11) almost never falls alseep in any vehicle, my youngest (3) is usually fast asleep within five minutes of the 200Tdi firing up.

Visual games, stories, get them in the front as soon as safety allows, don't block their view...

Bless them

Jean Visser

What a nice thread! I wish I knew about it 3 years ago.

There is nothing of value that I can add other than perhaps some inspiration to those in 2 minds:

The route:
Map_of_Africa.jpg

Bath time, Arusha, Tanzania
badtydArusha.jpg

Giraffe, Nairobi, Kenya
giraffe2.jpg

Jungle Junction, Nairoby, Kenya
JungeleJunctionRest.jpg

Breakfast, Lake Bunyoni, Uganda
campbunyoni.jpg

Pyramids, Meroe, Sudan
Brothers.jpg

Sleeping under the stars, White Desert, Egypt
WhiteDessBedroom.jpg

Pitching camp, somewhere on the Med, Libya
EarlyMorningGames.jpg

Early morning, Spain
SpanishView.jpg

Lunch Break, Mauretania
Maur_20.jpg

Buying souvenirs, Mali
FerryShopping.jpg

Decorating the Christmas tree on the beach, Dixcove, Ghana
DecoratingXmassTree.jpg

Breakfast after a swim in the river, Purros, Namibia
14_PurrosBreakfast.jpg

I may be the youngest dad in this group, but I pride myself in the way we raise my daughter-- and our friends can attest to that! In fact our adventure friends always seem to complement us on the fact.

My wife asked my daughter recently what her favorite thing to do was "to go hiking and camping with my daddy." :)

For the most part, I attribute her adventureness and good spirit to the trips and sharing of experiences. Short of our honeymoon to Costa Rica and a couple solo (moto trips by myself), she has joined us everywhere. From the time she was able to hold her head and sit up on her own, I began taking her hiking in a backpack carrier and even just exploring in the national forests. She loved it. The visual stimuli of real world adventures is so much more rewarding than TV.

The only issues we had with her while traveling was when she was potty training. And still, on occasion, her small bladder can bring progress to a hault for a few minutes.

She has amazingly traveled SOOOO well to Colorado, Arkansas, and to grandparents.

The key to joyful traveling FOR US, has been constant interaction. Eye spy, and spot that animal, what noise does that animal make, etc. That progressed to coloring books, picture books with animals and such. We even give her the camera.

OK, I'll shut up.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I may be the youngest dad in this group, but I pride myself in the way we raise my daughter-- and our friends can attest to that! In fact our adventure friends always seem to complement us on the fact.

All you have to do is watch how y'all interact with her and you can tell that kid is gonna turn out right. I hope to do so well with my kids one day!

My wife asked my daughter recently what her favorite thing to do was "to go hiking and camping with my daddy." :)

Thats cuz she's got a cool Dad. She'll remember all those trips for the rest of her life. Keep it up, bro!

EOE4x4

Observer
Wow, I spend a few days in the hospital and miss a bunch of great pics from a family trip around Africa! Great stuff Jean Visser!

So here's where the proverbial rubber hits the road:

Tommy Boy gets his first ride home in the Cruiser :). Made this new dad proud!

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    970.2 KB · Views: 32

EOE4x4

Observer
From the time she was able to hold her head and sit up on her own, I began taking her hiking in a backpack carrier and even just exploring in the national forests.

So when she was just a few weeks old? About two weeks ago (few days before my wife delivered) I was checking out Kelty kid packs at a camping store, but didn't feel like shelling out $150-200 for a new one. Found the same pack I wanted in an older color scheme (that I liked better) on craigslist for $25. It was basically brand new! So I told my wife that just after he could hold his head up, we'd bundle him in a snowsuit, toss him in the pack, and do some hiking. She thought it was a good idea :). Can't wait!

Congratulations new Papa!

To answer your question, actually we gave her a couple months (IIRC) before the first hiking trip. REMEMBER kids get cold quick. Kids get hot quick. Kids sweating when its cold out is BAD! In our case it she was born in May. So, we went on a couple short hikes in the steamy Louisiana summer. Then more in the fall.
Also, I might note that its not the best idea to be bouncing the baby around just after he is able to hold his head up. Remember your natural stride is a bobbing motion which causes the kid's head to bounce... So that is a concern. Shaking baby syndrome anyone?:Wow1:

We did the same, except I paid like $10 bucks for an evenflo brand back pack. I hated it. It sucked. It hurt.(see my avatar) Next go around I'll actually shell out a few bucks for a good model like the Keltys.

Buen Suerte!

EOE4x4

Observer
To answer your question, actually we gave her a couple months (IIRC) before the first hiking trip.
Buen Suerte!

I know...I was just getting a little over-excited. Hopefully by Feb/march I'll be able to give the Kelty pack a workout :). :bike_rider:

I forgot to mention, it is also very important to take the kid out of the pack probably every 30 minutes. Sitting in the little harness can cause circulation issues, just like a grown man would be if left dangling in a climbing harness. Cold weather, poor circulation, long hikes= very very bad.

Andy G

Adventurer
Congratulations!

First road trip for my then 2-1/2 year old son was about 5000 miles from Kodiak, Alaska to Sault Ste Marie, Michigan, in the back of a 2003 Dodge Ram QuadCab pickup.

His favorite thing was listening and "reading" a dinosaur book that was on CD.

He's a GREAT traveler, and it was a nice, relaxing trip. We'd camp (either tent or cabin) every night, and always had something fun planned at the end of each day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob