Rambox or Not for new PW build.

Eknerg

Hello all. I'm brand new to the EP community and this is my first post. I'm close to factory ordering a 2024 PW. My biggest hurdle at this point is to get it with or without the Rambox. It's two different build paths. Look for feedback from those who went one direction and the other. Pros, cons, etc. I've found some examples of both that are as good as the other. Looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions.

yabodie

I have a 1500 with RamBoxes. I love the locking ability of the boxes and places to stash items. BUT if you want to put anything over your bed, I would advise against them. No RTT, racks, or anything. Now given the 1500 is a daily driver not a dedicated overlander I would not change my choice.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Pretty sure Nuthouse has a rack that works with RamBoxes if you want to go that route.

Eknerg

I've seen a fair amount of rack options that are specific to rambox trucks. It will be my everyday driver and do all vehicle. So just want the most versatility possible I guess. I like the quick access to things the rambox provides. But I still need to be able to use the truck for truck things. Hauling yard waste and garbage to the dump seasonally, etc. A topper with a decked system might be the better option. 🤔 It's quite the dilemma for me.

SimplyAnAdventure

I’d agree. Asking on Expo you’re going to get a lot of answers related to camping use in which case absolutely positively no way would I suggest making your truck bed more limited. FWIW I have owned 2 Power Wagons and they are very capable however for a big 3/4 T truck they lack payload so plan accordingly.

phsycle

Adventurer
I know some that love the Rambox. Mainly contractors that pull a trailer and can keep the big stuff locked up, use the bed for bed stuff, and have small lockable storage (Rambox) for little things, like drills, ext cords, etc. I could see that being real handy.

But for an overload build, I’d skip it. Ford has those swinging lock boxes. Much more versatile. Maybe Ram has something similar.

1698681914858.jpeg

ColinJ

I decided not to get Rambox because I wanted the option to run a topper down the road. But it's been 18 months, and I still haven't bought a topper I do wish I had the Ramboxs, but I think if I had them, I'd be hoping I didn't so I could still have that option to get a topper.

I'm pretty sure I'll get a SmartTopper once they come in stock.

NORDFORD

Hard pass. Too many other options that work better with less chance of scratching up your bedsides.

UglyViking

If you want a cap, don't get the ram boxes. There are for sure options around them, but they are either goofy as all hell or completely remove the usefulness of the quick access boxes.

If you never plan to do a cap, I think it's a 50/50. Frankly I think they are a pretty interesting and valuable concept, but you do lose a lot of bed space, so idk.

For what it's worth, my Cummins doesn't have ram boxes, and for a while I questioned if I made the right call, and then I was certain I made the wrong call and wanted the ram boxes (even talked with a guy about trading for a minute), but in the end I realized that the ramboxes weren't for me and drawers and a cap, or even just a cap, was a better fit. YMMV

displacedtexan

The only way I can see them making sense is if you're one of the people who leaves a truck completely 100% stock and wants some out of the weather storage.

Why would you leave a vehicle stock?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77