Random shots

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I like trains.

Just for you. I have a train rattle my house every few hours caught this while walking down the tracks a few months ago.
_DSC0017.jpg

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
hahaha almost to bad the train numbers are different lol. Pretty neat to see such similar images. I was tryin to get my wife and daughter off the tracks and had my camera with me.
Whats bad is a 17 year old girl just got hit about 100yrds from where my image was taken last week. Mixed stories from suicide to walking with her iPod to loud. Her grandma is kind of a family friend and she is taking it pretty bad.

esh

Explorer
Was pleasantly surprised at how well this came out. Really need to keep the 70-200 f/4L on the body more often. It continually beats my 17-40 and 28-105 in richness.

No edits to the shot except resized for web.

owyhee-30.JPG

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
SWR - thats a pretty neat setup.
I had the chance to do a special shoot for the last trip of an old loco up near Mt. Shasta last year. it would have been a real historic deal but I had already committed to other things.

Nice image esh

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I was out on the dock the other night taking photos of the sunset and as I was walking back in, I slung my camera around me neck letting it fall to my hip.

The Canon 430EX Flash smacked my hip and decided to pop off the hotshoe.

It all happened in slow motion as I watched it hit the deck, bounce and go off the side. Of course it had to be high tide, so it landed in about 4' of water which meant I couldnt go in after it because of how dark the water was by this point.

Funny thing was, when it hit the water, I watched the flash go off a few times and the red light come on and stay on for a few seconds. I had to wait till morning when it was light and low tide so I could climb down and retrieve it.

906207796_JXFfa-L.jpg

Not the best sight to wake up to in the morning

906207599_oDeUU-L.jpg

Pulling it out of the water

906207702_AxRrU-L.jpg

Amazing what the salt water does to the batteries overnight

Anyone got a flash they want to sell cheap? You might remember that I just sold an extra Sunpak Flash for a give away price last week because I thought "Why do I need another flash?"

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Oh man, sorry for your loss Pat.

Now, don't give up all hope. I have rescued componets from a waterey burrial at sea before. Disassemble it completely, spray it liberaly with a dielectric spray, soak it in ioniszed water, then spray it some more. That's the basic steps, but do a Google search for more/similar suggestions. Do this right away and you might salvage this baby.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the tips NWoods. I'm thinking if I could have rescued it right away I might have been able to save it, but it went in the water at high tide, so it was in probably 4' of water and I couldnt see it. I kept feeling for it with the grabbers, but would only pull up Oysters since it was sitting right on an oyster bed.

It sat in there till morning when I could wait for Low Tide and see it due to the shallow water. I called Canon, but they said they cant recommend ANYTHING to fix a salt water bath. They said if it was fresh water, there would be a good chance of saving it.

This will be my second flash lost to the sea. My wife just laughed and said "You dont have good luck with Mother Ocean do you?"

Oh well, I guess I'm in the market for a new flash. Starting to get a nice collection of props with these dead flashes and camera bodies I have lying around...LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater