Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

REDROVER

Explorer
Thx Eric. Got it. You showed it in the video. So the thickness of that plate (if needed) is going to depend on which of the TCs you have in the trans you're fitting and the depth of the specific flywheel/flexplate arrangement (I am not considering a 6.2 diesel) you are working with?

Awesome. Thx guys.

So this is probably a silly question. How much clearance is there behind the TC and between the outer edge of the TC and the bell housing at the back? Can you make the adaptor plate between the trans and the bell housing thicker and avoid having to use the bell housing to engine plate?

Ian

yes you can make that adapter thicker to avoid making another adapter for bell housing to motor

ipgregory

Adventurer
Thx Eric and Thx Mike.

Felix, that kit has gone up a bit, its 750 $aus now plus shipping. I got a quote of about $300 or so from Marks on shipping a different kit over to the US so it's going to be closing on a grand by the time its on your doorstep. I like Marks TH400/4L80e to LT230 set up but I am not as keen on this one. They retain the LR bell housing and their adaptor converts to the GM SAE pattern. There is so much difference between the two styles I would be concerned at its durability. Because they retain the smaller LR bell housing, they can only support the smaller GM flywheel and that can be the cause of common starter issues. They say the bell housing has to be modified to accept the GM starter as well. So it's not a drop in and go set up. Finally the LR R380 is only supposed to be rated to accept up to 280 ft lbs of torque and many of the engine set ups this will allow can exceed that, some of them quite considerably. I would be concerned again by the long term durability of the trans.

IMHO the solution that Eric and Mike are using with the 4L60e bell housing is a lot stronger and cleaner.

Ian

REDROVER

Explorer
Thx Eric and Thx Mike.

Felix, that kit has gone up a bit, its 750 $aus now plus shipping. I got a quote of about $300 or so from Marks on shipping a different kit over to the US so it's going to be closing on a grand by the time its on your doorstep. I like Marks TH400/4L80e to LT230 set up but I am not as keen on this one. They retain the LR bell housing and their adaptor converts to the GM SAE pattern. There is so much difference between the two styles I would be concerned at its durability. Because they retain the smaller LR bell housing, they can only support the smaller GM flywheel and that can be the cause of common starter issues. They say the bell housing has to be modified to accept the GM starter as well. So it's not a drop in and go set up. Finally the LR R380 is only supposed to be rated to accept up to 280 ft lbs of torque and many of the engine set ups this will allow can exceed that, some of them quite considerably. I would be concerned again by the long term durability of the trans.

IMHO the solution that Eric and Mike are using with the 4L60e bell housing is a lot stronger and cleaner.

Ian

before i chose the gm bell housing i vent true many options , and none were as solid as using 4l60e housing bolt on strong no modification needed. you can even use 4l80e trans, and make adapter or buy from marks to work with LT230 . 4l80e is one strong trans no joking around ,

the idea behind what i did is to make as less modification as possible, so knock on wood you break down far away from home, you can get parts for it that are made factory .

for example the set up i have now is made of all factory parts available at any part store ,

and making the adapter for zf22 or zf24 makes it very much all factory .

Eric

R-Overland

Adventurer
a few poser shots :) from yesterday at the beach

IMG_20120409_174028.jpg

IMG_20120409_174011.jpg

IMG_20120409_174104.jpg

IMG_20120410_130015.jpg

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I really fell in love with it all once I took the truck off road...
She drives up and down and through things I didn't know was possible
before... a whole different animal

Yeah. . . I was thinking that the extra weight of the diesel probably helps off road, if anything, at least it seems to help rock crawlers, especially on steep climbs. The aluminum engine V8 Rovers are a little light in the front as it is.

BTW: What springs are you using up front to counter the extra weight?

David

Last edited:

LtFuzz

Explorer
I was most impressed with the 6.2 on very steep climbs and deep sand -- just a dab of the pedal puts you at max torque. The momentum you can generate is pretty impressive.

I really dig the flat black on your P38 -- did you roll that or have it sprayed?

Also, on the springs, the OME XHD will keep the truck completely level (at just under 3" over stock) and you'll never notice the extra 200 pounds. Seems like your springs work well though.

R-Overland

Adventurer
Yeah. . . I was thinking that the extra weight of the diesel probably helps off road, if anything, at least it seems to help rock crawlers, especially on steep climbs. The aluminum engine V8 Rovers are a little light in the front as it is.

BTW: What springs are you using up front to counter the extra weight?

David
this engine really turns the rover into an unstoppable off road tank
i am using OME 3 inch HD lift springs

R-Overland

Adventurer
I was most impressed with the 6.2 on very steep climbs and deep sand -- just a dab of the pedal puts you at max torque. The momentum you can generate is pretty impressive.

I really dig the flat black on your P38 -- did you roll that or have it sprayed?

Also, on the springs, the OME XHD will keep the truck completely level (at just under 3" over stock) and you'll never notice the extra 200 pounds. Seems like your springs work well though.

I used a product called 3m scotchprint... it is a flat black vinyl material, I picked it as I can easily replace entire panels in case of damage and it will always match the rest. It comes with 7 years warranty (no paint gives you that :) ) and if I want my to change it back I can peal it all off again.
Also flat paint feels rough and will get a glossy look after a while

Yes, the springs are the OME XHD, as you described

Last edited:

vandev

Hey There

Looks awesome. You did a great job. I am in Florida also and have thought about doing a swap. How did you get the computer to still run all the gages or do they not work.

Thanks Chris

R-Overland

Adventurer
Hello Chris
the only gauge which doesn't work is the tachometer, I bought one from a HMMWV and was going to make a custom cluster.
or i'll see how i can get my original one to work...i'll see, that is no biggie :)
where in florida are you?
~michael

vandev

Hey Michael,
Im in Ft Lauderdale.......How much fab work would it take to do a DII or would you suggest a DI? I had a 95 RR P38 for 9 years...loved it till the end...

Chris

R-Overland

Adventurer
Hiya Chris
I am in port saint lucie :)
I think D1 and DII are just about the same amount of work to make the install work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater