range rover railroad!

PKG P38

Observer
so since my range rover has been running happily with its new engine i've spent the past two solid weeks in it for a daily driver and so far its been nothing short of fantastic anything that i have put it up to so far. sure its great as a city runabout and highway vehicle. a lot of range rovers rarely leave the asphalt. but not this one, i can't resist from exploring anything thats off road, i've been finding myself trying to get lost on gravel roads and looking for any interesting place that i can get myself into.

today was such a day, and my buddy and i stumbled onto an abandoned rail road track. easily accessed from the highway and not restricted -- we ended up driving this trail for a good 15 miles or so before it was turned into a biking trail.

IMG_20110821_170520.jpg

IMG_20110821_170504.jpg

IMG_20110821_170218.jpg

IMG_20110821_170325.jpg

IMG_20110821_170352.jpg

IMG_20110821_181425.jpg

IMG_20110821_181422.jpg

IMG_20110821_174652.jpg

IMG_20110821_174656.jpg

IMG_20110821_180203.jpg

IMG_20110821_191105.jpg

more pix later from the SLR once they're uploaded & edited. up until now i've always had fun small euro cars or muscle cars...this is a totally new kind of fun for me -- never knew i could have so much fun @ 5 mph :)

Wander

Expedition Leader
The trestle is cool! Just curious, did you inspect it before you drove over it and how high was it? It doesn't look like its been out of use too long.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Awesome pictures, wish we had places like that around the DC area, but unfortunately most of the "off roading" here consists of driving over the median at the mall parking lot. Don't know if I would have had the cojones to take a 6k truck over that bridge though.

PKG P38

Observer
What the....out near Bondurant?

Let me know next time you go out to play.

Keith
Thats where we ended up at...we started near ankney

The trestle is cool! Just curious, did you inspect it before you drove over it and how high was it? It doesn't look like its been out of use too long.

Yes we inspected it before we drove on it. Its in very good shape with wood and steel construction. Id say its been out of use for no more than 10 years or so

Awesome pictures, wish we had places like that around the DC area, but unfortunately most of the "off roading" here consists of driving over the median at the mall parking lot. Don't know if I would have had the cojones to take a 6k truck over that bridge though.

It was nerve racking not gonna lie lol

spikemd

Explorer
Very nice. The P38 is quite capable in stock form with EAS on offroad height. It also drives great on the highway to get you home. Have fun. Glad to hear you got it back on the road.

New engine?? Was it rebuilt or a new block? slipped liners? head gasket? cracked block?

I just upgraded my sliders with kick-outs partly to help my vertically challenged wife and kids to get in the vehicle. I will post pics later today after I paint them.

crusader

Adventurer
Don't know if I would have had the cojones to take a 6k truck over that bridge though.

I don't know the bridge personally, but it looks like it's in great shape and it was made to support 140 ton locomotives. I don't think 3 ton truck is anything to worry about.

Awesome trip and photos!

PKG P38

Observer
Very nice. The P38 is quite capable in stock form with EAS on offroad height. It also drives great on the highway to get you home. Have fun. Glad to hear you got it back on the road.

New engine?? Was it rebuilt or a new block? slipped liners? head gasket? cracked block?

I just upgraded my sliders with kick-outs partly to help my vertically challenged wife and kids to get in the vehicle. I will post pics later today after I paint them.

replaced the engine with a used one with low miles. had a head gasket problem that was severe -- given how bad it was i also suspected a cracked block. it was much cheaper to replace the whole unit rather than opening up a bag of snakes. replacement engine only set me back $900...well worth it. old engine turned out to have a bad head gasket and blown piston rings after we tore it apart.

my P38 has had its air suspension removed, its running on a coil conversion from atlantic british. the suspension setup had barely been driven on before the previous owner gave up on it. i ended up with a lot of new parts with this P38...it's been the bargain of the century for me so far.

I don't know the bridge personally, but it looks like it's in great shape and it was made to support 140 ton locomotives. I don't think 3 ton truck is anything to worry about.

Awesome trip and photos!

we inspected it before hand, and it is VERY sturdy. we had the same thought of the weight issue...even in poor shape it'd still have enough strength to hold up this truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven