Rattlesnake Avoidance for Dogs

Holaday

Was that a real snake on the deck ?

That was fun to watch :)

My wife was from north van just past the hatchery going up cap road ;) pretty country

Yes its a young Northern Pacific Rattler it is muzzled with surgical tape as are all the snakes used in this training. The bigger snakes used in the training are a Diamond Back and a Copper rattler. Eric usually uses the species of snake that are found in the area where the dog is being trained. When I explained that I would be taking Nootka into the southern states in the fall Eric said he would use a species from down there for part of the training.

Ya North Vancouver is awesome, as long as you don't mind a little rain. Did your wife ever work up Grouse? Lots of people who grew up in North Van had their first jobs up there. :)

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
nope she never worked their but was just down the road for sure :) she is not a snow type to much :) good thing she met me :)
was up their a bit pretty area but to wet my parents main house was on the kitsap peninsula so spent time when I was younger their and did not like the cold wet NW :) pretty though

interesting I was curious how they did that with the snakes ? might have to do our dog sometime :)

thanks again :)

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
Timely thread for me... we were just looking into this for our dog after finding the 2nd diamondback in our yard since May. Our vet told us about the redrock vaccine and I was wondering if it was just "snake oil" or if it really worked. I think I will definitely look into the avoidance training for her and consider the vaccine as well. Can anyone recommend a good trainer in Tucson?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3