Receiver mounted winches - an idea.

matt s

Explorer
I have a working example of this on my rig now. Mine is for my snowplow but the theory is the same. A three point mount to eliminate some of the possible damage from side load (or torque/twisting in my case). I don't have a photo, but will get one for you later. Mine is simple. I have a front receiver, and I also already have mounts for a tow bar just below the bumper on the frame. The tow bar mounts with half inch pins. My friend and I fabbed up a mount that comes out of the receiver and then drops below the bumper where it hits a spreader bar that then goes back to the tow bar mounts. The end result is amazingly strong, tight and easy to put on and off with only a mallet to help with sometimes tight pins (temperature seems to play a roll here, if it's at the temp we fabbed at it fits perfect, other than that and the pins need a little enticement).

the main benefit (other than not adding anything to the rig to mount the plow) is that when removed the license plate goes back in the receiver, and the tow bar mounts are very low profile. Over all it was way less impact on the vehicle in terms of permanent mounts hanging all over the place.

Last edited:

matt s

Explorer
Here is the photo. It's actually square but the mounts for the plow are not so there is a bit of an optical illusion going on. Regardless it should give you an idea. This was a quick ugly make it work kind of project. Future plans involve a different more refined mount using the same attachment points and idea for a winch/and or recovery points.

If you look carefully you can just make out the tow bar bracket where the closer horizontal square tube goes back under the bumper. I did not put the pins in for the photo but you can see the holes (or almost make them out). The center is a normal 2 inch receiver just hidden behind the bumper.

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

njsjeep

Observer
How about a mount that uses a receiver hitch and shackle mounts to hold the winch plate with large bolts and/or hitch pins. I did a quick Google sketch to show the idea.

Attachments

• mount.PNG
    mount.PNG
    5.8 KB · Views: 17

matt s

Explorer
How about a mount that uses a receiver hitch and shackle mounts to hold the winch plate with large bolts and/or hitch pins. I did a quick Google sketch to show the idea.

Exactly. Pinning the sides is simpler. Mine just don't line up quite as nicely as your drawing. But on a custom bumper, yeah perfect.

-JD-

Observer
Here is the photo. It's actually square but the mounts for the plow are not so there is a bit of an optical illusion going on. Regardless it should give you an idea. This was a quick ugly make it work kind of project. Future plans involve a different more refined mount using the same attachment points and idea for a winch/and or recovery points.

If you look carefully you can just make out the tow bar bracket where the closer horizontal square tube goes back under the bumper. I did not put the pins in for the photo but you can see the holes (or almost make them out). The center is a normal 2 inch receiver just hidden behind the bumper.

attachment.php

Nice!

That's the basic concept. Having the attachments at two levels would certainly help with stability and would also partially translate vertical loads from torsion to linear.

-JD-

Observer

I like the concept.

On the plus side something like this could possibly work with "standard" bumpers with shackle points or tow-bar mounts.

I have a few concerns:
Typically the shackle points are pretty far apart - much wider that the winch. Good for stability, really bad for storage.
It does nothing to strengthen things WRT vertical loading.
The horns to engage the shackle mounts might hit/interfere with other mounting locations - this could be eliminated if they were removable.

Thanks for the idea. I'll definitely consider this.

matt s

Explorer
What exactly is the issue with side pulling, Bending the tube on the winch mount?

Yes, and the receiver itself. Since the winch is mounted out from the receiver it's basically a lever when put in a side load. Putting several tons of side pressure on your winch mount and then multiplying that with the force of a lever could very easily end up bending the tube, the mount, or perhaps even your frame. A normally mounted winch should negate most of the lever effect.

Blue02

I suppose you could bend the tube on the multi mount. I doubt you would bend the vehicle frame, the traier hitch mounts the same way most bumpers do. They span bolth frame rails the same way a bumper does. If you were worried about it you could use a solid 2" bar instead of a 1/4" wall 2" tube to slide in the reciever.

DasZuk

I constructed bumpers for my Suzuki with dual 2" receivers front and rear. It required a bit of care when welding everything up to make sure the receivers slid freely. I'm pretty sure the alignment issues are why you don't see this available commercially.

attachment.php

winch on minimalist mount

attachment.php

Early mock-up on bumper

attachment.php

Rear bumper in place, centre reciever is for a conventional trailer hitch

attachment.php

Bumper in use, Tow hooks in outer receiver mounts, Propeller helps with deep water crossings... :snorkel:

Attachments

• DSCN1717 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1717 (Small).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1719 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1719 (Small).JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN1734 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1734 (Small).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN2297 (Small).JPG
    DSCN2297 (Small).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

ldivinag

Adventurer
i can tell you, that the best way is to get a welder who knows what he or she is doing.

fortunately, i had a family friend who has been welding all his life. he took over his dad's welding shop when the dad retired.

so when i came to him about my multiple receiver idea, he just showed me the "stout"ness of the setup he had planned.

for my toyota, the front end of the frame has 2 sets of recovery points on each side. one side already had had a tow hook, while the other side had just a loop.

so he took rather thick steel stock and made a 90 degree plates to weld a close to a class 4 crossmember.

from there, he gusseted the heck out of the actual receiver itself.

in the end, i was able to winch myself SIDEWAYS off a steep muddy trail that i had a possibility of falling off...

i have a warn 9000 XDi and from the front, i took the cable to the right side to a tree. from there, a tree strap and a clevis. from here, a triangle run of the winch wire to my rear bumper.

at this point, i didnt care if i rip the bumper off or damaged the winch mounts. i just didnt wanna fall off the trail... lol...

i was able to winch myself sideways... a good 5 feet sideways off a muddy trail.

subsequent checks reveal no damage.

my winch cradle is off a frame of a ford f-350. the overall assembly is over 200 pounds. surprise those 4 grade 8 bolts holding the winch on the cradle...

Truck3a.jpg

Truck13a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven