Recommend Roof Rack

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
I have a 2015 JKUR and would like to get a roof rack, which will eventually hold a rooftop tent. I'd like to be able to remove the hardtop with the rack still attached, and I'm opposed to drilling into the hardtop. Any recommendations? Bonus points for photos and links. ;)

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
Ah yes, have heard of those before but forgot about them. Thanks, I'll look that up. I like the AEV rack, but it requires drilling though the hardtop and I'm not sure I trust that it won't leak once that's done.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Get some silicone cailking-

Sandtracks711038.jpg

001_zps3125b80c.jpg

Mine hasn't leaked in over 6 years !

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Thabx Indy-

Looks good Jimbo...which rack is that? Also, can you remove the hardtop with that rack installed?
-

Yup, that's the MBRP prototype, also sold by Quadratec as the JK "Off Camber" rack-
o
It's very well attached to the hardtop--16 SS bolts, but all on the vertical sides and none on the top--that's why she evades any leaks to !

I have A RACOR Hoist in my gararge and the rack makes HT removal-simple/quick/secure and it's easy to store the HT at the ceiling

I'm not sure of any changes, but my rack supports 350 lbs mobile and 700 lbs static-but I've removed the RTT and placedit on my trailer--just too high on the jeep and it restricts the jeeps useage !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The highest point on my rack is 78"--at the back-

can you measure the height of the rack off the top. I have very little room to get in my garage and am worried it wont fit.

I'm lucky, My garage will allow me to drivein/out with my inflatable fishing boat on top and also the RTT !

001.jpg

Good luck

yeah that doesnt help. my lift and tire setup is drastically different than yours. just looking at it makes me think its too high but it might sneak in... might

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I can understand that, because-

yeah that doesnt help. my lift and tire setup is drastically different than yours. just looking at it makes me think its too high but it might sneak in... might

The house in my post above, is new/3 car garage and has a lotta room and 10' ceilings, my house in Ca. is an older/w 2car garage and even though the garage door openers are remote, you can adjust the extent of the opening phase and get another 2 to 6" in height !

That's what I did there, so I can garage my jeep in both places, my Xterra was pretty close to 80" high and it fit also !

Good luck

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Take a look at the Gobi Stealth Rack. I have the Ranger Rack for my TJ, but the Stealth sits a little lower

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: That's a good idea, but-

Take a look at the Gobi Stealth Rack. I have the Ranger Rack for my TJ, but the Stealth sits a little lower

If you're thinking of installing an RTT--you have to be careful just how low the rack is, because it can get really tough to install the RTT mounting clamps !

Whatever

BenHedrick

Adventurer
I really like our Gobi Rack. We were running a RTT on but but since have switched to a Teardrop type camper, but still kept the Gobi Rack on the Jeep. Here are a few pics and more on my site. Works great for lights and awnings too.

Ben

img_1319_med_hr-2.jpeg

img_1517_med_hr-2.jpeg

img_1566_med_hr-2.jpeg

img_1030_med_hr-2.jpeg

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
The Gobi looks good!

What I like about Jimbo's roof rack is it's sans basket, which keeps the profile lower, as I'm concerned about garage door height as well. I may go with a trailer for the RTT, but would still like to have a rack on the Jeep. I'll look into both and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad