Recommend Roof Rack

GFA

Adventurer
I run the gobi stealth also. At its highest it's about 6.5" above the hardtop or center of windshield frame.

It was the only rack I considered as it allows me to use both the hard or soft top and remove either without removing the rack itself. It also did not require any drilling to install. I know a lot of people don't care about that but when it comes time to trade in your much better off selling the aftermarket accessories on Craig's list vs trading them in with the vehicle. The gobi will probably net 2-250 in trade but will sell for 1k all day long. Or if you decide you simply don't need it you aren't left with holes keeping you from selling it...

Maxcustody

Explorer
faae647f6dbeba4d719237ce6486935e.jpg

Sent from my Roof Top Tent

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
I also went with the Rhino Rack backbone despite the drilling. I love the look and function of the Gobi but the rhino rack was a little smaller & cheaper. I'm sure the Gobi is more useful overall but the Rhino Rack makes it pretty darn easy to pull the tent off when I don't need it.

20150731_134611.jpg

20150731_135309.jpg

20150731_151632.jpg

20150731_172116.jpg

Installed, pre-tent. Makes a wicked whistle in the wind ( I have the HD bars, they sell rounder bars too, called Vortex I think)
With the tent installed, the wind noise is substantially less than with the bars alone. I'm thinking about building a fairing.

20150731_172044.jpg

My garage is too short so I put together a cheap gantry with a pair of 8' ladders, a long 4x4, and an electric winch mounted in the garage.

20150820_182621.jpg

20150904_172125.jpg

I'll have to measure how much height it adds
20150904_191635.jpg

Tent & bars removed

20150809_161054.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Just another thing I'll put out there about Gobi is there customer service. I had an issue installing mine (again it was on a TJ not a JK) because my rear bumper's frame mounts interfered with the sway bar mounts, as did my bumper corners. With a few photos and measurements and phone calls and emails, one of their shop guys drew up and made some custom brackets for me free of charge. I ended up having to drill into my bumper brackets and trim my bumper corners but it was no biggie, there was no body or frame cutting. What mattered was Gobi's main focus on satisfying my needs and I couldn't be more satisfied with the final result.

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
Thanks for all the pictures and descriptions. I'm torn at the moment between a roof rack and a trailer. To be honest, I'm not quite sold on a roof top tent yet either. I've had one in the past, and it was great, but I've since gone to hammock camping and that's quite comfortable and considerably less weight (saves space too, obviously). Have some more thinking to do I suppose.

BenHedrick

Adventurer
Thanks for all the pictures and descriptions. I'm torn at the moment between a roof rack and a trailer. To be honest, I'm not quite sold on a roof top tent yet either. I've had one in the past, and it was great, but I've since gone to hammock camping and that's quite comfortable and considerably less weight (saves space too, obviously). Have some more thinking to do I suppose.

As you know, I really like my Gobi rack and did have an RTT on it BUT, I found that setting the tent up and down twice a day to use the Jeep when camping and four wheeling became a HUGE pain, so explore your trailer idea. I did and I like it better than my RTT. Here's a link to my trailer setup. http://www.benhedrick.com/expedition-trailer/

Ben

HAFICON

Adventurer
:sombrero: Get some silicone cailking-

Sandtracks711038.jpg

001_zps3125b80c.jpg

Mine hasn't leaked in over 6 years !

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

I do like that.. I almost got it my concern was hardtop damage if I snagged something... But I bought the Rugged Ridge Shepard rack, hated it and sold it.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Thanx HAF-yeah the RTT was solid and wasn't even noticeable when driving the jeep, but-

I do like that.. I almost got it my concern was hardtop damage if I snagged something... But I bought the Rugged Ridge Shepard rack, hated it and sold it.

Having the RTT on top the jeep just took away the reasons for having a jeep, so that's why I put it on my trailer, frees the jeep and doesn't affect the gas mileage I used to get with the trailer anyway !

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
Great trailer Ben! I son will turn 4 next month and I'll soon start taking him out on adventures with me. The trailer might be the way to go, although he has his own hammock (Hennessy Hammock Cub). I'll kick it around some more. Wish I had the trailer I used to have years ago. Wouldn't mind getting another one, but trailers aren't exactly cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad