Recommended 03 F250 CC preparations??

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Sorry Leverett,

My post was supposed to be for Truckinfool, I guess I should pay a little better attention when replying. I don't know how I screwed that up, but I did. Sorry.

chasespeed

Explorer
Your wheel base is only a little longer than mine was.

Some tucked up rocker protection, that runs to the rear wheels(nice for a step to access the bed), and you SHOULD be okay, though, I dont know what the trails you have in mind look like.

My buddy had one like yours, but on 37s, full length rocker protection, and good bumpers, ARBs front and rear, hydraulic winch in front, and an electric in the rear. That would go ANYWHERE.

I wouldnt worry too much. With some patience, and skill, I have seen subarus and VW bugs go places that wouldnt even imagine. Just need to remember when wheeling a full size with a diesel... these things require a different approach in many different conditions, due to them being very heavy in the front end....

OH, and a set of Warn hubs.... my vacuum hubs were the first things I broke...though, that was a 4wd launch on dry pavement...hehe

As far as the radius arm, and coil conversion... more money and effort than its worth in my humble opinion. I prefer the simplicity of the leaf spring front, even if you do lose a little turning radius.. but, its not as much as you would think...

BTW, which set of tunes/chip you running?

Chase

Stan the Man

Adventurer
What size bed do you have, whats the wheelbase and the overall length? Thats honestly going to be the limiting factor.

For starters, get rock sliders so you can keep opening your doors. Especially for a truck that long, you'll be hitting just about everything. 2" x ."188 would be ideal for this truck. Also, if you don't have it already, plumb in a remote transmission filter and cooler. If you already have a cooler, get a new one with an electric fan on it because the automatics heat up quick. Use the current filter for power steering.

I'd honestly run a detroit in the rear and an ARB in the front (you'll never use it, but its nice to have just in case). The stock axles will be plenty with just a pop up. I'd say 35's are a bare minimum if it'll see a decent amount of trails, in a larger truck like this a 37" tire would work great; but keep the center of gravity low. 4" and 37's would be ideal. Maybe try the Deaver F50 in the rear.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
after many hours of towing and wheeling and wrenching by fellow club members....

hubs...
winch on at least the front..maybe hidden under the stock bumper...or a brushguard...
pyrometer..
spare fuel filter..and 2qt of tranny fluid incase ya gotta change it on the roadside...fill the filter with ATF and putter back on!!..(much easier to carry than diesel..and if yer trans needs fluid..yer already carryin it!!)

the rest its up to you...the tcase is usually trouble free thru the trucks life...

UHAULER

Explorer
You need to take the truck out and start finding it's limitations. No amount of bolt ons will help as much as real world experiance. Don't worry about building the "perfect truck", start using it and useful modifications will follow as you find them nesessary.

TruckinFool

Just wanted to say how great this site is! Awesome to see so many people interested and willing to lend advice.

Chase, I work for Diesel Innovations and have a DI 6 position chip. Tunes are stock, high idle and various steps in performance. Honestly, It mostly stays on stock. Dealing with 10-11second powerstrokes takes the fun out of beating on my own "slow" truck lol. For the trip ill run stock, high idle, a MPG tune, tow and maybe see if I cant optimize something for offroad.

Ya'll pretty much got me set on using this truck. I figured it would be strong but I dont have any experience tossing superdutys around trails so figured I should ask first.

Im a fabricator by trade so you can trust it will be well armored. Front/rear bumpers, rock sliders and skid plates. I'll prob. stick with one really good winch up front and leave the rear bumper open for a hitch, shackles, swing out spare tire, axe, shovel and whatever else I need hanging outside.

Pop up bed campers are quite a bit more expensive than I thought they would be. Although this will be the last mod installed Its really screwing with my budget. Im going to try and find a cheap shell to make my own being that I have a lot more time than money. Also have my eyes out for an aluminum shorty utility body to replace the bed. Again cheap will be key factor here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy