Recommended tires for a Lightweight?

telwyn

Adventurer
Forgive me if this has been discussed in detail previously - I'm sure it has but came up dry doing a search...

As far as I can tell my 1982 Lightweight is still running the original or at least really old tires. I only have 11,000 miles on the Rover, but with the age of the tires, I'm way overdue in buying new ones.

Here are my needs and desires:

• I drive primarily on road at low to moderate speeds.
  • I'd like decent off road capability, but don't need anything too aggressive.
  • I want to reuse my 15 inch rims.
  • I want bigger tires, but still want skinny tires. Here's a photo also - I have tons of clearance for larger tires.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

IMG_1358.jpg

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
and I have a set of 9x16 Michelin XLs looking for a Lightweight. Too big, and 16" and not the best road tire. Keeping the 15" size gives lots of options, but 33/10.50 would look sweet.
Love the LW by the way!!

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I think BF Goodrich still makes a 33x9.50/R15 in the All Terrain. Used to make MTs in that size, but they've moved to a 33x10.50/R15.

evilfij

Explorer
Are you 100% sure they are 15s not 16s? Lightweights came with 16in wheels stock.

33X9.50 will fit but the turning radius will be horrible (lightweights have narrow axles than series trucks).

If you are happy with the size and what you have now, 7.00x15 are about 30in tall and were stock on the SIII 88" that came with those 15in wheels. Most people run 235 85 R16 (or 7.50x16) on 16in series wheels. If you do this, make sure you use 5.5 wide wheels rather than the 5.0in wide wheels found on some series trucks. Given how cheap 16in series wheels are (~$20-25 each used) I would go with 16in x 5.5 wheels preferably off of an SIII or ROW 90 or 110.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Lightweights have the same track as Series Rovers (except SIII 109's), 51.5"
They did come stock with 5x16" wheels, running 6.00x16, 6.50x16, 7.00x16 or 7.50x16. 8.20x15 sand tires were used in some areas of service.
Mine came with the 16" 2 part rims.

Sirocco

Explorer
Your 82 would likely have had 7.50s when it left service. Something like a michelin XCL or Xtragrip. Im running XCL's on my IIA lightweight, but if your not after originality then your options are almost limitless. I think you can fit anything upto and inc. 33" dia. tyres.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

G

telwyn

Adventurer
Maybe I do have 16s

Thx everyone for the guidance. I'll check it out - perhaps I do have 16s after all.

Hoping to get it all sorted out in the next week or so and will post pics with the new tires soon.

BLUEGRASSMAN

Observer
A Buddy of mine runs 235 85 16 swamper truxxus mt's and that thang boogies up all kinds of obstacles!

I know you need tires for 15's....Im sure swamper makes a truxxus thats close to the size above for 15's.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
7.50r16 Michelin XCL on ANR4635 rims.

Do it.
I dunno. From everything I've read the XCL sucks on wet tarmac, and considering he wants them for mostly on-road and Florida is the seventh rainiest state, not sure that would be a good choice.

telwyn

Adventurer
Blew the head gasket

Tires have been on hold since this post because I blew the head gasket and cracked the head. It's fixed now, but haven't picked it up yet from the shop. Gotta pay for that before I can buy new tires...

rezdiver

Adventurer
for anyone considering. please do not buy michelin XCL's unless its a show truck. from experience they are horrible on anything but off road, even at that. the last time they were produced was at least over a decade ago, if you do find some, they are hard, old and deteriorating stiffening rubber, have very poor wear, they start cupping. they have poor traction, extremely loud, and they do not last very long for tread life.

the XZL's are a touch better if you can find ones that are a couple of years old. they have better wear, handling, and are very strong, unfortunately useless for airing down on a light rig. i had a flat on a 3500pound rig and could not tell driving down the highway doing 60 until i had to make a turn and felt the sideways sway.

there are much better modern tires.

MrLeadfoot

looks like you are on 6.50 x 16, I run on 7.50 x16 on LWB/Defender rims, if you go with 7.50,s (this is the way to go) your spedo will read 27 at 30 MPH so youse a satnav.

bullbar001-1.jpg

you can see the section of the 7.50 xcl,s if you go wider the stearing will get heavy

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy