Redthies' '97 F350 Thread

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Front axle u-joints, or steering shaft u-joints? Both front axle joints are a bit dry, and will get replaced eventually. The dry joints could cause problems, but as I said, the truck is steering fine after the box replacement.

That looks like a superduty in your avatar Beta... Gold-ish color isn't it?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Just saw the fullsize pic thread. Your truck is the one I was thinking of Beta. I'll check it out next time I see you at Nesters...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
After a few days of driving, the steering box has loosened up to where it should be. I will put a stabilizer on too I think, just to tighten things up a bit.
I also took apart the passenger side hub to see if a giant auto hub spring like I found on the drivers side was in there too. Nope. It is a mystery to me why someone would be dumb enough to force the big spring in, let alone doing it to only one side!
We are loading up the camper for a four day 2 state weekend get-away, so I will have an idea how all the "improvements" work with the big camper. Stay tuned for updates coming early next week.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The quasi-nightmare steering returned about 50 miles into a 1000 mile road trip last week. Camper on, dogs in, wife smiling, then the truck decided not to turn going around a tight left hander. Fun times... It only acted up 10% of what it was before, and would not return to center without driver input. We replaced the steering gear again last night and this one feels better, but still not perfect. I'll give it a few days and see what happens. We also rechecked everything from the steering shaft u joint to all tie rod ends. Everything is tight. At least the local parts store is playing nice and replacing the defective parts.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The quasi-nightmare steering returned about 50 miles into a 1000 mile road trip last week. Camper on, dogs in, wife smiling, then the truck decided not to turn going around a tight left hander. Fun times... It only acted up 10% of what it was before, and would not return to center without driver input. We replaced the steering gear again last night and this one feels better, but still not perfect. I'll give it a few days and see what happens. We also rechecked everything from the steering shaft u joint to all tie rod ends. Everything is tight. At least the local parts store is playing nice and replacing the defective parts.

Have you checked your ball joints?

Get the truck off the ground, disconnect the toe rods, and turn the hubs by hand independently.

My F250 had a similar unpredictable tough-steer issue. Replacement of the upper ball joint on the drivers side did it.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Turn the hubs, or turn wheels in or out? The ball joints are tight in the usual wiggle tire up/down. But I have not tried disconnecting tie rods and moving side to side. It is going to take an afternoon of disconnecting one thing at a time and trying to isolate it. My Ford mechanic friend says he has had to try 3 different boxes before he found a good one... Hope we don't have to change that again!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Turn the hubs/wheels left and right (just like they would as if being turned by the steering) but independently. Turn the entire wheel/hub assembly by hand and feel for inconsistant resistance. Even with the balljoints tight, one or more might be dry enough that it is binding occasionally. And with the tie-rods disconnected you can also do a better balljoint slop test. D60 ball joints are tough to check by wiggling the tire. Stuff is just to big and heavy. Insert a pry bar between the knuckle and the axle housing, Watch and hear for play at the ball joints.

For the record, I absolutely HATE balljoint knuckle front axles. Im in the process of collecting parts for a solid axle swap on my F250, and I opted to go with a kingpin dana 60 front axle. Much less headache when it comes to servicing.

Shiryas

Adventurer
James,

Having read through your descriptions and the replies I unfortunately do not have anything else to suggest as far as diagnosis.

On one of the diesel forums I am part of, Redhead steering out of Seattle is highly touted. I have no personal experience but most have said they have good customer service, small family company that rebuilds box's above OEM spec's.

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

Let us know what you find and best of luck, Chris

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thanks guys. It drives ok, so I can still use it daily, but I am fussy and figure I should be able to make it work like new if I rebuild or replace parts as required. It is probably better than 75% of other trucks this age. I'm just in search of perfection...

JSTANN

Want to do another:)? My immediate concern is the fact that the truck has decided not to turn anymore. Steering shaft bearings going in tomorrow.

I am torn on the spare. I have NEVER in 25 years of offroad travel had a flat. (Now that I have said it, I fully expect to have all four tires flat in the driveway tomorrow morning). I don't want to go without a spare, and I don't plan on stuffing it in the back seat or on the front bumper... A rack on the back of the camper is a possibility, but I will have to look into where I can attach something that heavy without damaging the camper.

Lol I'm actually doin another in my cousins truck this weekend ... It's really easy the ****ty part is finding a drive shafts unless u got a parts truck u rob them from

U ever come to Victoria or the island ?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
U ever come to Victoria or the island ?

I lived on Gerda Rd right by Wilkinson Rd prison about five years ago, then last year lived at Weirs Beach, right next to William Head prison... There's a theme developing here... We were camped on a friends 50 acres on the water in Metchosin last weekend for his annual pig roast. He had two live bands this year as well. I'll post some pics soon. What part of Vic are you in?

As for tranny swaps, will a ZF from a 460 work for a 7.3 PSD? I have been looking for a winter beater to keep my 350 out of the salt, and figure I should consider a beater/parts donor and kill two birds with one 12 gauge!

Shiryas

Adventurer
Gasoline ZF units will not work with Diesel engines and vice versa. The bell housing bolt pattern is different and is cast with the transmission case as one unit. Gear ratio's are also different. You also want to make sure you get the ZF S47 and NOT the S-42, the earlier transmissions were not quite as beefy and did not hold up on the IDI Turbo's let alone the PSD.

If you are going to do a swap, I really like the ZF 6 speed over my ZF S47 5 speed. Two of our f450 brush trucks have the 6/7.3 and I think it shifts a lot better, and the extra gear between 2/3/4 keeps the lugging to a minimum when things are loaded.

Cheers, Chris

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thanks for the info Chris! Will the 6 spd work with the t-case in our trucks, or is it easier to use the t-case from a 6 speed rig? Sounds like new drive shafts either way.

JSTANN

I lived on Gerda Rd right by Wilkinson Rd prison about five years ago, then last year lived at Weirs Beach, right next to William Head prison... There's a theme developing here... We were camped on a friends 50 acres on the water in Metchosin last weekend for his annual pig roast. He had two live bands this year as well. I'll post some pics soon. What part of Vic are you in?

As for tranny swaps, will a ZF from a 460 work for a 7.3 PSD? I have been looking for a winter beater to keep my 350 out of the salt, and figure I should consider a beater/parts donor and kill two birds with one 12 gauge!

I live in Sidney near the BC ferry terminal

Pig roasts are always a good time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues