Refreshing the TJ - Build Thread

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Have you ever thought about just buying a Rubicon and be done with it? LOL

But that takes away the fun of building it from scratch:ylsmoke: Keep in mind this is a hypocritical statement since I drive a Rubicon:coffeedrink:

So are we talking about building the Jeep that is always in 4 wheel drive even driving on the highway? Sounds pretty awesome but I can imagine some of the wear and tear it'll put out long term on the drivetrain and tires

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Thank you! I do too. Right now I have a lot going on and probably am not going to tackle the console for a few more months.

After hitting the Rubicon last weekend an issue that has slightly plagued my NP231J for the past few years became apparent so I picked up a used 231J w/ SYE yesterday and will be rebuilding it this week to swap into the Jeep. The AW4 & Torque Converter are also starting to show their age. I have an AW4 (OBDII This time) at a buddies shop being separated from a 4.0L early next week. My goal the following weekend is to drop the current Trans/TransferCase, swap in the rebuilt NP231 and put in the newer Torque Convertor and Starter Ring (Mine currently has some teeth missing).

With the spare AW4 I'm going to slowly rebuild the transmission ground up and build an NP242 along side it to swap in the near future. I will likely be doing the high horsepower clutch pack as I want this drivetrain behind a stroker that I am going to either build or buy from Golen. the NP242 will give me a fully locking 2.72:1 Low as well as a full time AWD. While I highly doubt I'll do this due to the expense of it, Teraflex does convert NP242's to 4:1 low as well.

Big things, lots of work to do an so little time!

AW4 nice! I swapped out my 32rh for a AW4, I love it and I'm sure a better clutch pack will be sweet. I'm currently looking at putting a shift kit in to make the up shifts more firm.

Did you swap in a trans computer computer? I went with a Baja Shifter, so it shifts manual and have a switch to lock the torque converter. Just curious how hard it would be to wire it up to shift automatically.
Although I do like being able to keep it in first when off-road.

GP'd

Adventurer
Have you ever thought about just buying a Rubicon and be done with it? LOL

You know that 90% of the work done to my jeep would've been done to the Rubicon too. The only the advantage the Rubicon has is the 4:1 and the front Dana 44. Negligible aspects of this build for my use case, just 'nice to haves'.

GP'd

Adventurer
So are we talking about building the Jeep that is always in 4 wheel drive even driving on the highway? Sounds pretty awesome but I can imagine some of the wear and tear it'll put out long term on the drivetrain and tires

The 242 is considered a "FULL TIME" engaged. While I wouldn't use it often on the street, snowy/wet roads and fast fire road driving would be amazing to have. https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np242/

AW4 nice! I swapped out my 32rh for a AW4, I love it and I'm sure a better clutch pack will be sweet. I'm currently looking at putting a shift kit in to make the up shifts more firm.

Did you swap in a trans computer computer? I went with a Baja Shifter, so it shifts manual and have a switch to lock the torque converter. Just curious how hard it would be to wire it up to shift automatically.
Although I do like being able to keep it in first when off-road.

I have the Transgo shift kit, look earlier in the thread and you'll see my step by step. It's in the first couple of pages. I did have it wired to the computer for the while but once I went to the RAD Designs Winters Shift Kit I've left it in manual the entire time. Some day i'd like to have a selectable switch for both the trans solenoids and the torque converter, but it's not high on my list. Right now the computer is only hooked up to prevent any CEL from popping up.

GP'd

Adventurer
Well...the past few days have been parts collecting. I got a great deal on the AW4 w/ rebuild kit. Payed less than even the IPT Performance Shift Kit costs new!

Recently Acquired :
  • OBDII AW4 (~90,000 Miles) Complete with Harness and Computer
  • IPT Performance Shift Kit w/Raybestos Blue Clutches (LINK)
  • NP231J w/ Teraflex SYE already installed
  • NP231J Rebuild Kit (LINK)
  • Alloy HD Chain (LINK)

While I won't be rebuilding the transmission in the short term, my plan is to rebuild the transfer case this week and pull both the Transmission and Transfer case out so that I can put in the newer Torque Converter (current one is acting up I think) as well a new starter ring (mine has chipped teeth). Let's hope I can do all of that in 1 day. It's going to be a dirty project.

GP'd

Adventurer
Got the transfer case re-built yesterday and started cleaning up the transmission a bit. Didn't have the energy to pull everything out of the jeep so I'll need to find a better time to do that in the coming weeks.

IMG_20160611_152236.jpg

GP'd

Adventurer
Hey everyone, due to the photobucket bulls**t, my photos are all obviously unlinked now. Not sure when I'll have the time to re-upload all the content here, but feel free to PM me and I'll get you images if there are some specific ones you need.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
...Just got a TJ, so I've been looking at relevant threads (the photo bucket picture hostage thing is a major pain across the whole web...) what I read about your mods sounds good.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater