Removing Fallen Trees - without a chainsaw?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Drag them off with a strap.
Slide324.jpg

We also carry an electric reciprocating saw that we run from the inverter.
That has a variety of blades for wood or metal and is lighter than a chainsaw and needs no petrol (gas).

Cheers,
Peter

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I keep a 1 lb can of FFFg black powder in my off road tool kit. Stored eleswhere is a cap and 18" of time fuse, Put the can under the tree, or rock, you want moved,,,insert fuse into cap (crimp) and cap into can. Tamp with a sand bag, Light the fuse and walk briskly away! If it doesn't remove the object completely it certainly loosened it up so you can easilly drag it away!

BTW, it's not very load and there is more dust than smoke but there can be projectiles, so you have to be careful!

BTW #2, in a past life, I used a 1/4 Lb block of TNT under a mud stuck APC to break the stiction and allow two other tracks to pull it free...wish I had that one on video!

I hope this is an attempt at humor...nothing about this idea sounds good to me.

FishPOET

Adventurer
I keep a 1 lb can of FFFg black powder in my off road tool kit. Stored eleswhere is a cap and 18" of time fuse, Put the can under the tree, or rock, you want moved,,,insert fuse into cap (crimp) and cap into can. Tamp with a sand bag, Light the fuse and walk briskly away! If it doesn't remove the object completely it certainly loosened it up so you can easilly drag it away!

BTW, it's not very load and there is more dust than smoke but there can be projectiles, so you have to be careful!

BTW #2, in a past life, I used a 1/4 Lb block of TNT under a mud stuck APC to break the stiction and allow two other tracks to pull it free...wish I had that one on video!

You're kidding right?

Count Fred

Observer
12", I can usually chop it with an axe faster than somebody can get a chainsaw ready. I've done this a few times, despite the grumbling of my compatriots, and then they're always amazed.

Most people don't know how to use an axe properly. A sharp axe used properly is pretty effective.

I would fall amongst most people in that regard. A city boy from centuries old farmland country means there wasn't much in the way of wood that needed removing growing up. Any pointers or suggested reads on the proper use of an axe? I know it will take practice regardless.

That said, I'm a fan of the simple hand tool (i.e an axe) that used correctly, will perform alongside the more complicated solution (i.e. a chainsaw). It seems like an axe may have more uses around a camp than some of the saws. So I'm leaning towards an axe (and rigging) to cut and remove trail debris.

I just glanced through the Axe Manual of Peter McLaren. It seemed a good start to educating myself of axe use and care.

Now to actual select an axe that does't break my budget and practice with it...

Cheers,
JFS III

ThomD

Explorer
I'm still leaning toward a manual saw. Frankly, axes and chainsaws are pretty dangerous (duh!). I'm not saying that they are too dangerous for anyone else, I'm saying they are to dangerous for ME. Too dangerous for me to use in a remote area with no other vehicles around. This is the sort of tool that I might use every year or two. I have no interest in becoming proficient (and there for safe) with these tools.

"Never carry a tool you don't know how to use."

Gaidheal

Observer
Lots of old-school goodness in that .pdf file!

Keep it simple - if you're splitting a log, use a splitting axe (generally much thicker at the flat end, gets thick quickly) and use a chopping axe for, well, chopping!

If you're chopping, sharp is good! (Splitting - it doesn't mater as much I find)

The axe head will start to go where you put it. Think through where you want it to bite, and what you want that bite to accomplish.

Where the axe ends up is largely up to you: where you put it, what it hit, how it it, and your grip on the shaft. You need to control it, not the other way round.

Never swing at an awkward angle or where deflection cannot be controlled.

Let the axe work - don't force it. When you lift it, direct it's fall. Don't pull it into position.

Cheap axes are often junk these days.

Get a good one and good set of grippy loves and start hacking away!

:beer:

Mamontof

Explorer
That right there, seems to be our lord Jesus telling you clearly to "go back"...

:victory:

Sometimes the Lord's voice is loud and clear.

-Brian

God see i try my best .....i cut ...cut again ...as i hate drive back 80 miles

Only Lord know hay badly i won to see that trail again early in spring :elkgrin:

jesusgatos

Explorer
On dirtbikes, we usually just ride around them. But we ride with chainsaws at the beginning of the season when we're clearing trails. The rest of the time I just carry a small wire-saw. Super small and lightweight, and I can cut through at 6" tree in under a minute or two without really working too hard. In trucks, we usually just drive over them or yank them out of the way. Will be carrying a chainsaw in Mah Deuce though.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Now to actual select an axe that does't break my budget and practice with it...

Cheers,
JFS III

Depending on your budget,

Gerber/Fiskars for around $35-$45 depending on which axe you get
Scout Axe (army surplus store) $12, its more of a hatchet but is ideal for camp and any small job.

-Sam

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Oh, by the way...I use a Sven saw for all my sawing duties. I live on an acre that grows by leaps and bounds, and its never let me down.

Very, Very robust and effective.

jesusgatos

Explorer
That wire saw is the one I was talking about. It's awesome. Bought a 'pocket saw' a while ago, thinking it might be even better. Wrong.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Here is a repost of part of a thread of mine from long ago
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10746

The mention by Scott of a winch & recovery session was perfect timing as I just had a chance to use my winch to clear a trail!
I also figured that I need to buy another pulley so I could have practiced for the next Expo Trophy! No seriously the last Trophy recovery mental challenge taught me to think creatively about angles, pullies, cables and such.
So while out doing my emergency gear test I came across a big tree that had fallen over the trail.
I figured this would be a great chance to not only clear the trail but take my time trying different winch riggings. And stay nice and warm with a little axe work.

This is what I encountered.
DSCF1520.thumb.jpg

And this was the rest of it.
DSCF1523.sized.jpg

So after I took to it with the axe as much as I could get at (note to self buy whetstone & folding camp saw) I figured to try and crack it with the Hi-Lift.
DSCF1526.thumb.jpg

Then I figured to give it a little turn so I could chop my way through the rest of it.
DSCF1528.sized.jpg

Instead I was rewarded with a nice split.
DSCF1530.thumb.jpg

But the crack was coming toward me when I needed to move the top section away from me so I re-rigged and figured I would finish the split going the other way.
DSCF1531.sized.jpg

Instead I was rewarded with a wonderfully clean break...of course it was 2 feet from where I had done all my chopping. This resulted in a few minutes of teary eyed laughter which then made a red squirrel start chattering at me, which resulted in more laughter at all my hard work.
DSCF1533.thumb.jpg

So new rigging and away goes the top section.
DSCF1534.sized.jpg

Then another batch of rigging to move the bottom section.
DSCF1536.sized.jpg

Free at last! Free at last! Go west young man. The way is clear & full steam ahead.
Also to be noted that there was already a wide spot in the trail forming where folks had turned around here. If you come upon blockage on a trail please clear it as a part of Tread Lightly and helping others enjoy the outdoors. Not to mention it is a great feeling when you are all done.
Please note I wore gloves, and sunglasses with shatter proof lenses the entire item. I did not step on or over the winch cable and I respooled under tension afterward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online