Removing Fallen Trees - without a chainsaw?

Count Fred

Observer
This past Labor Day, I came across a trail with a tree down across it. Might have been 12-18" in diameter. Folks walking up from the local campsite said it fell within the last 10 min. or so, and it did indeed look like a fresh fall.

Since it was a fresh fall, and not in the spirit of the rest of the trail (clean gravel forest road) I would have been ok with removing it. However, I had no tools to do so.

What are the best tools to carry to clear logs of this nature? I'm sure a chainsaw tops most people's list, but I can't justify the cost or the space for something I would use so infrequently.

An ax would have done it, but it seems like it would have been quite the workout (perhaps not, I know I need some lessons in how to properly use an ax).

A bow saw seems like it would have bottomed out before I got halfway through the log, even if there was room to come in from the other side.

Have people used the manual chainsaws (chainsaw on a rope type thing) with much success?

I've seen a lot of cool looking tools out there, but just don't have enough first hand experience to know what is worthwhile, and what tools would just be ridiculous on a large log.

So what would you use in such a situation?

Cheers,
JFS III

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I run into trees across the trail all the time. I like to use a pulley block (or two), my winch, and a chain with a grab hook.

I use the chain to attach to the tree, the pulley block to direct the angle of pull, and the winch to provide the muscle.

Usually within 10-15 minutes you can have the rigging set up and the tree moved to the side of the trail without damaging surrounding trees.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Usually carry a bowsaw. If the tree is too big for the bowsaw, the tree gets removed by rigging, as tdesanto described.

If the bowsaw is too small for the tree and rigging is impossible due to thick surrounding growth, I have cut as big a notch in the tree as possible and secured a static tow strap to it and pulled until the tree breaks, then get to work on clearing the two sections. YMMV.

Last edited:

stolenheron

Explorer
one time i ended up using an army shovel, a sharp rock, and a hammer. to take a wedge out of an 18" thick fallen tree. got it just big enough to put the tow strap around it and pull VERY slowly. once we heard a crack, we stopped. did some more chipping at the wood and then attached the tow strap to the smaller side, split it, and towed it outta the way.

a strap is really dangerous, but if you do it carefully and think about where you're putting it on the log, you should be fine.

oh and this method took almost an hour hahaha

ThomD

Explorer
I was just thinking about this yesterday. Maybe this:

29t3201s1.jpg

Portable Bucksaw

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I bring along a Craftsman 19.2v sawzall with a pruning blade (12")...works great for 8-10" logs for cutting firewood...I've never used it on anything that big, but I imagine you can get longer sawzall blades than I have and carry them.

As a note, it's maybe 2-3 minutes w/the sawzall, not as fast as a chainsaw, but much quieter and no smell :)

sjk99

Adventurer
If you run into that sort of thing a lot (or think you might) a one-man crosscut saw will take care of almost anything you find. And will also be a workout.

http://www.fine-tools.com/onemansaw.html

timber302950.jpg

On the one my dad had that little hole at the end accommodated another small handle so it could be used as a two man (although not as good as a true two man saw.) Kind of a lot to carry around though

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
I keep a 1 lb can of FFFg black powder in my off road tool kit. Stored eleswhere is a cap and 18" of time fuse, Put the can under the tree, or rock, you want moved,,,insert fuse into cap (crimp) and cap into can. Tamp with a sand bag, Light the fuse and walk briskly away! If it doesn't remove the object completely it certainly loosened it up so you can easilly drag it away!

BTW, it's not very load and there is more dust than smoke but there can be projectiles, so you have to be careful!

BTW #2, in a past life, I used a 1/4 Lb block of TNT under a mud stuck APC to break the stiction and allow two other tracks to pull it free...wish I had that one on video!

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Where do you buy black powder, or do you make it yourself? More importantly where do you buy the fuses and the caps?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
12", I can usually chop it with an axe faster than somebody can get a chainsaw ready. I've done this a few times, despite the grumbling of my compatriots, and then they're always amazed.

Most people don't know how to use an axe properly. A sharp axe used properly is pretty effective.

Gaidheal

Observer
Ditto. I carry a fiskars/gerber axe that you could just about shave with and it will eat through a tree faster than most can set up other gear. Who knew growing up with a wood stove for household heat would give skills transferable to offroading? lol

:beer:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
A good sharp double bit axe for something that small. Of course I grew up in the woods, started using an axe when I was 6 or 7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal