replacing flip pac torsion bar

RHINO

Expedition Leader
homemade, the stock bars are strong enough w/o a torsion for at least the few nights i slept in it, my bars are steel. i thought about a long crank, but i just dont know how the camper and pivot area would handle that sort of stress. i dont think it would do so well.

brass, i think the difference in my setup vs your exp. is not only the length of my pole, but that it is attached to the lid, i have complete control and simply walk along the camper while operating, while my wife/dog/friend/stranger watches in utter amazement, ok i may have elaborated on the amazed part, but yeah its pretty simple.

timber

Adventurer
Here are pics of what I ended up with, I think Rhino did his very similar. I fully intended to buy a new torsion bar along with the cover and a set of bushings and a handle. I called flippac and was told they were out of torsion bars but had the other parts and would call when they got the bars in. Low and behold two weeks later I got a call telling me they were ready for pick up, the total for all the parts was just over $600 with tax. I told them to let the next guy on the list have it, that's too much for those parts and a torsion bar with a questionable lifespan, Plus when you look at the torque of that thing on an older flippac I could see trouble. Sure this wont open its self with a handle but its way more trouble free in the long run and Just about as easy.
P1060380.jpg

P1060185.jpg

The bracket on the lid is 2x2 angle stuck in 5200 and screwed in place
P1060182.jpg

The connectors are just steel rod end quick disconnects. I think they were 1/2" and come with the ball. They were 6 or 7 bucks each
P1060183.jpg

This is the push pole, it fits in the hammock hangers. You can flip it open with the length of the stock hammock pole but by adding a 2 foot extention its really easy
P1060187.jpg

RHINO

Expedition Leader
yup, pretty much the same as timber pics. i am real happy with it and its easy as pie to operate.

kb7our

Explorer
Ugh...since my rig sits outside most of the time I'm sure it is a matter of time. :(

I've been following this thread with interest in light of a forthcoming Habitat with external "open" torsion bar. A lifetime warranty on the bar to the original owner would sure be nice assurance and piece of mind in light of some of these issues popping up.

timber

Adventurer
I used a 3/4" od 1/2"id bronze bushing through the two nylon flippac bushings in the hinges then just bolted it up with a 1/2" stainless bolt and some washers that were bigger than the nylon bushings in the hinge. It will be easy to see once you get the broken bar out. As far as that goes you could just use a 3/4" bolt and some fender washers

Last edited:
mine has no bar, it just has some bolts loosely stuck in the holes. I was thinking about bushings or bearings. I am sure bearings are overkill.

kevek01

Interesting. And you say you can lift the top yourself?

Back on the torsion bar replacement. Tried to remove the bushing with the set screw in it today. It was in a stroke of genius ness or laziness installed with set screw facing up towards the sky, and the rain. Which have led to a rusted out and seized set screw. Drilled it out. May need to have it retapped now, though I can't imagine that bushing does much to keep the bar in place.

Next step is to cut a relief in the outside tubing at the break area. Right now i suspect the torsion bar has splintered but is still being contained within the tubing.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
P1060185.jpg

The bracket on the lid is 2x2 angle stuck in 5200 and screwed in place

Hey Timber-
You have any links for the ball joint disconnects?
I looked on a few sites but haven't found the 1/2" or larger size that was in stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad