Reskar's best bang for buck build.

MOguy

Explorer
Up next is a CB install that I need for an upcoming adventure!

Allot of people put FAR more thought into this than needed. The most important part of the CB is the cable, antenna and how it is mounted. Buy all this new. When you mount you antenna you need to have a good radio frequency ground. Whatever you ground your antenna to becomes half the antenna. Your best bet is mount it to the body and insure good metal to metal contact with the mount and the body, not things that attach to the body such as bumpers, fenders, hoods or doors. You can have the best CB, cable, antenna and mount but if the antenna is not properly installed it won't work worth a crap. Highest on the body and closest to the center makes for the best CB antenna mount but Wranglers don't lend themselves to this type of installation. Make sure you get a top loaded antenna because this will help compensate for antenna performance because you will have to mount it lower than the highest point on you Wrangler.

Look for an Older CB used. Uniden that say made in the Philippians are very good choice, if you can find one.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Those half doors are looking great! I agree some weather stripping to both seal the door, and add pressure to the latch will be a big advantage.
Really cool stuff reskar! :beer:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
The half doors on the back and running with the hard top off like htat is one of the best looking simple mods I have seen. I can honestly say that as far as looks go and "real world" use, you are making a strong case for the JKU and a mild build. Nice work.

John

azxr

Nice to see a simple build based on necessity. Mods can get out of control real quick if you don't keep in mind their intended purpose. Any thought on what you are going to do for armor underneath since you will be sticking with "smaller" tires? Stick with stock, replace or just add some additional armor?

reskar

Observer
As mentioned those stock wheels look great with some meat.. I have the AEV 2.5 lift as well IMO it is the best all around option. Just a suggestion for "Best Bang for the Buck" swing down to your local parts store and replace the OEM dome lights with some LEDs. Cheap and very much worth it.
I'll look into it. I haven't run into a lighting issue yet but I haven't been camping in the woods that may change there. If so I'll definitely keep it in mind thanks!
JKU87 said:
This looks great so far.
Thanks!

MOguy said:
Allot of people put FAR more thought into this than needed. The most important part of the CB is the cable, antenna and how it is mounted. Buy all this new. When you mount you antenna you need to have a good radio frequency ground. Whatever you ground your antenna to becomes half the antenna. Your best bet is mount it to the body and insure good metal to metal contact with the mount and the body, not things that attach to the body such as bumpers, fenders, hoods or doors. You can have the best CB, cable, antenna and mount but if the antenna is not properly installed it won't work worth a crap. Highest on the body and closest to the center makes for the best CB antenna mount but Wranglers don't lend themselves to this type of installation. Make sure you get a top loaded antenna because this will help compensate for antenna performance because you will have to mount it lower than the highest point on you Wrangler.

Look for an Older CB used. Uniden that say made in the Philippians are very good choice, if you can find one.
This is really great advice thanks! I've found an antenna mount that mounts to the side of the hood I think will work out well.

Commanche and jscusmcvet thanks for the compliment I'm really happy with how the half doors look. It really changes the look of the jeep. I'm definitely going to try the weather stripping.

jscusmcvet and azxr thanks for the kind words on the mild build it's so hard to stick with a small build, the lure of toys is strong! I have to remind myself of the goal often. As far as under armor goes I've done some research but I think I'm going to stick with what I've got for now. If the lift isn't enough I'll end up adding more armor but I want to hold off and make sure it's something I actually need as I'm not crazy rock crawling with this truck. If I do mess up a stock skid I'll replace with a stronger aftermarket for sure.

JKU87

Adventurer
Your build reminds me of mine. I'm doing the same things, modding what I need, etc. I'll be shopping for a CB as well. Looking forward to your progress!

reskar

Observer
I'm getting my CB installed Wednesday so I'll have an update on that then. For now I got my door hinge mirrors from Olympic 4x4. These are so that I have side mirrors with the doors off. As far as I'm concerned it's a safety issue and they are required. I wanted ones that would allow me to still lower my windshield and were made in america. These were the best fit. The other thing I added today was a hi lift hinge carrier mount. I wanted one of these so I could mount the jack outside the jeep when I bolt fuel cans to it. I have looked high and low and this seems to be the simplest, cheapest, most straightforward way to mount fuel to the jeep. (It shouldn't be but I just cannot find a better option). I had to go with the rugged ridge mount as there simply wasn't an american made product I could find. Anway I thought it turned out well and it lets me lock the mount in place which is nice. Here's some pics of both on the jeep. (Fuel cans are in the mail)

Hi-lift1.jpg
hi-lift2.jpg
Hi-Lift3.jpg
Hi-Lift4.jpg

Espo78

Adventurer
My Jeep is also modified with function>form and with budget in mind. I don't have a build thread but I'll run down some quick things I've done. Feel free to ask me questions on anything.

Steel C channel front winch bumper:

5D34E4C6-1500-4A06-99B9-90DA4633F2F1_zpsw5naiwm5.jpg

Pretty simple, cut C channel to length, drill 8 holes, bolt up. Added a Harbor Freight winch plate. Total cost <$100

Mile Marker SEC8 winch: Most affordable waterproof winch I could find. American company with military ties, but winch made in China. Doesn't bother me. <$400

Steel wheels and 33" Duratracs:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/118122-Got-some-vintage-style-wheels-for-my-JK

You already have the wheels/tires figured out but this was my solution. Will go with 16s and a narrower tire next time around I think.

CB: Cobra 75/Firestick mounted to factory tailgate hinge:

6EA1FB2D-F949-4422-B381-B8D8CA010F60_zpssudmbczb.jpg

I just cut a notch in the plastic cover and used the mount that came with the antenna.

JeepKarma.com Aquabumper water storage system:

4D3AD712-BA45-49DB-8731-596B01539F39_zpshkwh8jrl.jpg

7 gallons of on board water. Can't beat that! $150

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The aquabumper is awesome, I would love to use it but I am flush mounting LED cubes, and my 7 pin connector for my pop up in the bumper to tidy up things. I am going with a budget build as well. Adding things that needed for the most part. My suspension is all sorted, I used the teraflex leveling kit, Monroe reflex monotubes, Napa gold/spicer balljoints and airbags. Works unloaded, works loaded, and gives great ride and handling as well. I am adding a roof rack, but its going to be removable so that when I don't need it, I can take it off. I am also adding some perimeter lighting on the rack and I will have a waterproof power point mounted on the side of the jeep where the rack connects so it can be unplugged when not in use. I also have morryde hinges, MBRP rear tailgate bracing and VDP high clearance bumper corners ready to be installed now. I am installing an Olympic 4x4 winch mount inside my stock bumper and it will keep the winch low and out of the way until I need it. Cheap and nice looking winch mount solution. All will help my rig. I had a small realistic CB I mounted above the mirror. I used a mirror mount from a local big rig store for my antenna mount and mounted it to my spare tire mount. Cheap, easy and it works great. For lighting, I run truck lites for headlights and HID converted hella 500s for long range lighting. All works as intended.

Theres more to come as well.

reskar

Observer
I love the Aqua bumper. That's actually really cool I'll have to check that out.

My Gas cans came in today! I looked high and low to mount gas externally but the only things I could find where mounts for aftermarket bumpers which I didn't want or putting it on a roof rack which I also didn't want. I finally found an adapter from teraflex that lets you attach the rotopax mount to your high lift. That plus the high lift hinge mount is what I went with. I've got two 3 gallon tanks on the high lift. I'm heading up to Maine in two weeks to do a three day trip through the woods so I'll get a chance to try out all the stuff and let you guys know how it went.

Tomorrow I should have my CB installed so I'll post pics of that. (spoiler alert I splurged a bit on that)

gas1.jpg
gas2.jpg
gas3.jpg

Espo78

Adventurer
Reskar it's the Bestop HighRock Overhead Rack. Another one of my budget mods...I use it when hauling kayaks, but it won't work with a hardtop so I didn't mention it.

E0EA9BC6-2C2D-47AD-A6A5-21D14F812A1B_zpsl6zu8mng.jpg

Keep an eye out, Jscherb has designed prototype rotopax/jerrycan/natocan holders that attach to the front fenders of the JK on both sides. I'm sure they will make it to production one day.

reskar

Observer
I'll keep an eye out for them. They look promising I just couldn't wait that long. I do like the removable roof rack that's pretty sweet

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Have a look at the SURCO roof rack for the hard top. It mounts to the hardtop with removable mounts like a normal car roof rack, I am using one of those. Just put it on when needed. Jsherbs mounts will be going into production soon as said by him on another post. He makes some of the coolest stuff. Another ROTOPAX mount option is the Vector rack for the spare tire. mounts throught the hole in your wheel and you can mount all kinds of different things on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3