Restomod to Rock Crawler with Timbren Axles

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
This started as a trailer of unknown origin. It had 13" trailer wheels and Al-Ko torsion axle.

The tub and lid are all steel. Its small and rugged so I decided to make it a rock crawler trailer for behind my Jeep. The restomod will go in three phases. I just finished phase two. Here is phase one.....

Original condition:

Removal of existing torsion axle:

Design fitting of new Timbren axles:

Timbren axles installed. Phase one complete:

Last edited:

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Phase two included cutting off the old thin-walled tongue and installing a new heavy 1/4" thick wall tongue. The old tongue was attached below the frame deck and I wanted to raise the new tongue to be both level with my Jeep hitch and allow more rock clearance.

Fabbing and welding:

ucIE6l.jpg

I also installed a 2" receiver tube on the rear bumper for additional cargo options.

7qiaJe.jpg

Cutting the notch in the original frame was simplified with a Plasma cutter. An amazing tool.

Cutting a notch out of my finger was done with an abrasive wheel.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
The new tongue also has a 2" receiver to allow a variety of hitches. I used cable instead of safety chain to minimize rattle and installed the cable mount on top for clearance. I also fabbed a lift handle out of a Honda XR75 kickstand and a half of a leaf spring shackle from my last trailer project.

Phase two is complete. Phase three will be the cargo box.

justinh

Observer
I like where you mounted your safety cables.

I did cables on my m101 build and after dragging it across Immogene from Telluride to Ouray on our first trip they were in bad shape. Mounting them above should keep them up and out of the way!

thethePete

Explorer
Looks very awesome.

Laughed at the finger notch comment. Cut-off wheels are the devil. I had one grenade on me this weekend pulling an 8.8 from under an Explorer. I was lucky it was behind a crossmember when it let go, so I didn't catch any shrapnel.

Can't wait to see the progress. Looks 100% functional, I dig it. Great looking welds too, btw.

ETA: Although that is a nice way to keep the cables up out of the way, they won't work as designed when they're like that. The function behind crossing them under the hitch is to catch the hitch in the event that it comes off. If they're running parallel to it, the hitch could potentially dig into the ground with fairly catastrophic results.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
I like where you mounted your safety cables.

I did cables on my m101 build and after dragging it across Immogene from Telluride to Ouray on our first trip they were in bad shape. Mounting them above should keep them up and out of the way!

Thanks! I got the idea of the high cable mount from a picture here on EP.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Looks very awesome.

Laughed at the finger notch comment. Cut-off wheels are the devil. I had one grenade on me this weekend pulling an 8.8 from under an Explorer. I was lucky it was behind a crossmember when it let go, so I didn't catch any shrapnel.

Can't wait to see the progress. Looks 100% functional, I dig it. Great looking welds too, btw.

ETA: Although that is a nice way to keep the cables up out of the way, they won't work as designed when they're like that. The function behind crossing them under the hitch is to catch the hitch in the event that it comes off. If they're running parallel to it, the hitch could potentially dig into the ground with fairly catastrophic results.

Thanks! Yes the cables are not DOT standard but for rock crawling, it is a risk I must take.

The ugly welds are mine, the nice welds are my buddy Dave's :bowdown:

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I have good and bad days for welding. I thought that's what I was seeing :) It looks like you have a pretty good idea of what you want for a trailer. I have a dexter torsion axle that I welded on. I was always worried that the bolts would loosen or sheer off. I think about using the Timbren system next time, though the axle and skid plate now protects my water tank.

thethePete

Explorer
My concern isn't the cables, it's the fact that they're not crossed under the hitch in their path to the vehicle. Either way, looks great, can't wait to see the next step.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
I got the wiring run from the hitch to the bumper. I wanted long-term, heavy duty wire protection at the tongue connection. I have used split-loom before and it always dries up and cracks after being left out in the harsh California sun. So for out on the tongue I used some vinyl tubing. It is definitely more robust and will protect the wires against pinching and abrasion much better than split-loom. The vinyl should last forever, but time will tell.

thethePete

Explorer
^ A good idea for storing your cable/teathering it out of the way offroad is to take a female plug, cut it so you have just the plug left, and screw it to your trailer tongue so that the harness just reaches it and voila, you plug it in to that and it keeps it from dragging around while in the rocks. Just something we did on some of the utility trailers we built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother