richard310's 04 Xterra

richard310

pew pew
I always think about my next set of tires, new sizes and especially new brands, more aggressive less aggressive. Then I always come back to the fact that my BFG ATs have done every single thing I have ever asked of them, including quiet and comfortable on many many highway miles.

The grass isn't always greener :ylsmoke:

Exactly... what do we really NEED out of our tires. Not looks or branding, but the Duratracs sure look pretty darn cool.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Exactly... what do we really NEED out of our tires. Not looks or branding, but the Duratracs sure look pretty darn cool.

I'll make you a deal, buy me 4 duratracs and I will test them out for you and then I will let you know if you should buy them.

richard310

pew pew
I'll make you a deal, buy me 4 duratracs and I will test them out for you and then I will let you know if you should buy them.

Only if you get me a whole set of BFG AT KO2's. We can do a trade and test them out. I'll let you know if you should get the KO2's over the KO's. :D

gophere

Adventurer
I'm waiting to see the ko2s in person before picking up new tires. I'm considering those or coopers at the moment.

I ran duratracs on my montero and they were, for what I did with them, fantastic. The short lifespan is what is keeping me away from another set though.

richard310

pew pew
I'm waiting to see the ko2s in person before picking up new tires. I'm considering those or coopers at the moment.

I ran duratracs on my montero and they were, for what I did with them, fantastic. The short lifespan is what is keeping me away from another set though.

how short of a lifespan did you have? What was the percentage of on-road driving?

gophere

Adventurer
how short of a lifespan did you have? What was the percentage of on-road driving?
I got 40k out of them.
Was living south of Portland, OR at that time so i would say only 10% to 15% was off road or gravel. Mostly highway use driving between OR and MT.

To their defense, they were not totally gone but close. They had got very loud on the road and ice traction(very important to me) was gone.

Tire size was 31/10.5/15C and I have a buddy with the 285/75/16E that seem to be wearing better.

richard310

pew pew
I got 40k out of them.
Was living south of Portland, OR at that time so i would say only 10% to 15% was off road or gravel. Mostly highway use driving between OR and MT.

To their defense, they were not totally gone but close. They had got very loud on the road and ice traction(very important to me) was gone.

Tire size was 31/10.5/15C and I have a buddy with the 285/75/16E that seem to be wearing better.

That's not too shabby for a slightly aggressive treaded AT tire given the amount of highway driving. I'd be running Load Range E at 265/75-16 so it may contribute slightly to better wear. I'm sure you could have hit ~55k with those tires, minus the road noise and the reduction in ice traction.

gophere

Adventurer
That's not too shabby for a slightly aggressive treaded AT tire given the amount of highway driving. I'd be running Load Range E at 265/75-16 so it may contribute slightly to better wear. I'm sure you could have hit ~55k with those tires, minus the road noise and the reduction in ice traction.

Just didnt want to 'push it' cause they were starting to scary me safety wise.
They seem to be built alittle more for the slow and low. Oh and the montero was a big girl for the load range C

The little more research i did between sales at work today shows a huge fanbase for them though.

richard310

pew pew
Just didnt want to 'push it' cause they were starting to scary me safety wise.
They seem to be built alittle more for the slow and low. Oh and the montero was a big girl for the load range C

The little more research i did between sales at work today shows a huge fanbase for them though.

With the way I drive, the tires should last. I rarely exceed 65mph on the freeway and stick with speed limits on the roads. Slow and low for me... I've been reading up as well and most AT tires have their fanbases. Quite large actually so it makes it just a tad harder to decide. But I've narrowed down. :)

I've been browsing Craigslist and found a few sets.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's ($450) Four like New, Load Range Unknown:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pts/4685822846.html

BFG AT KO ($300) two 90%, two 50%, Load Range D:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/4685773386.html

- With the BFG's used, I can rotate the two remaining good tires (40% life) with the used set for a total of 6 tires in hand. I'd be mixing Load Range E and D though, one set per axle.

- With the Duratrac's, given they are Load Range E, I'd either be using one BFG as a spare and have the sitting at home, or sell the other two for some change and possibly get a new tire for the spare.

Just thinking out loud...

**Update: Now the Cooper ST Maxx are on the radar -_-#

Last edited:

FJRanger

I like getting lost...
Just followed your build thread link on American Adventurist over here, great looking Xterra!

BTW, I'm looking at the ST Maxx for a replacement as well. I had the ST's on my old FJC which was purchased by my dad. He just replaced them with the Cooper ATP, similar to Cooper AT/3 but made for Discount Tire's. The ST's had lots of miles on them and still looked decent. The Cooper Tire dealer in Colorado told him the Maxx wasn't wearing well and I've been on hunt for real world mileage for the last few days. One guy on ih8mud said he's got them on a fullsize he uses for towing trailer w/cattle on mainly gravel roads. His tires have 11,000 miles and45% left. I wish I know what that translated to on pavement, lol.

My 80 series isn't a daily driver but I'd like to get more 25K-30K miles out of the new set of tires.

Last edited:

richard310

pew pew
Thank you sir!

Wow 11k and over 50% used already... Well with that kind of constant usage, it's expected. I've just heard nothing but great things on the ST Maxx's and the Cooper name in general. I'm with you on better mileage. I use mine as a daily driver but I'm also thinking about running a separate set to improve both worlds. There's an ST Maxx thread here on ExPo in the General forums but I haven't been through it regarding real world mileage.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
The ST Maxx will wear a lot better on a truck like yours because it is a lot lighter. I'd expect them to last quite a while on a first gen Xterra.

That's the major downside to the ST Maxx. They are mileage murderers. They will conquer a lot of terrain, but they are about as heavy as it gets for an AT type tire. If I recall correctly, the 267/75R16 weighs something like 58 lbs. Add to that the aggressive tread which makes for high rolling resistance, and the mileage figures just plummet. Now, they're an awesome tire, really tough, great traction, etc. But they are not friendly on the fuel bill.

richard310

pew pew
My BFG's are about 54lbs so the weight difference is negligible, although the added rotational mass for this small motor will probably give it more stress. Fuel friendly, might as well get a cheap small car or motorcycle (which I'm highly considering) for a daily driver and keep the truck for trips. Any AT tire and above (MT's) will kill mileage, especially running larger sizes, so I'm not too worried about killing mileage too badly. As long as I'm +/- 2mpg I'm good. I'm currently at -2mpg at the moment with the truck setup as is. It's not staggering compared to the other rigs I've seen, but I can cope with the change, and having two extra 5gal cans on the bumper helps. Plus being able to get out of sketchy situations is reassuring...

I'm also learning to start packing smart with every trip that we go on. Less junk and only stuff that we need. Excess weight is left at home and the right gear is purchased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk