richard310's 04 Xterra

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I was looking into one of those tables as well. I've heard good things, so you'll have to give us your honest review.

Great shots as usual too, I'm jealous!

richard310

pew pew
I was looking into one of those tables as well. I've heard good things, so you'll have to give us your honest review.

Right out of the box, it comes in a nice carry bag. Inside the bag itself has a divider to separate the legs and table top to prevent unnecessary scratching when transporting.

The legs and base are folded as one piece with some scissor linkages to allow the legs to fold in on itself. The actual rollout description refers to the top portion of the table. The flats roll out and clip onto the leg base. It seems sturdy enough to hold a good amount of weight. The adjustable legs are held in place by spring loaded friction tabs. I'll have to wait and see how long these friction tabs hold up over time /weight. The legs look and feel pretty sturdy and same with the linkage attachment points. No plastic at the joints which is nice (metal on metal with rivets).
Overall size of the table usage space comes out to 35.5" x 20.5" (17" height at its lowest setting)
Cleaning will have to be accomplished one slat at a time as you fold it as the gap between the slats are quite small.

I'll give a better review after I use it in about a week at the Desert Rendezvous. The ONLY thing I hate is that brushed metal on metal sound... It gives me crazy goosebumps.

Steve, come check out the table if you like, at DRV. I will definitely be using it to its fullest potential as I'm sure you'll be using your awesome grille setup!

richard310

pew pew
I took the Xterra in for an alignment this morning hoping it'd be an easy wam-bam-done job. Well it looks like my steering and LCA balljoints are toast and so is one of the recently installed Calmini UCA balljoint. It hasn't even been a year yet since installed the UCAs and balljoints, although I have taken this rig to quite a few trails and events since then. New set of UCA balljoints ordered (one for a spare and hopefully it doesn't take a week to get to my house from Bakersfield!) and I'll be sending the rig into the mech to get the LCA and steering joints replaced. Hopefully they can diagnose what the SES light is as well and get everything squared away before this weekend... another last minute repair job. This rig is definitely showing it's age and wear-n-tear, but so far it's still pulling through showing me a great time.

Last edited:

richard310

pew pew
The word from the mechanic:

LCA Balljoint and Steering balljoints replacement and labor: $1400 a stab through the heart.
The joints are incoming tomorrow so I'll be getting those replaced before the trip. I also ordered replacement Calmini upper joints, no ETA on that.

SES code: Catalytic converter went kaput. $1000 and rip my heart out while you're at it, but later since you're not priority.
It's only obtainable at the dealer for an awesome $500+ labor, which is another $500. F* you EPA and CARB; you should be paying for that. I won't be touching it until Smog is necessary, although I hate driving with the SES light on...

So it looks like this rig will be a keeper and I'll be driving it to the ground (depending on future maintenance). I believe I've now spent just as much in repairs than what I paid for the truck. It's getting more and more depressing, but expected since we actually use our rigs. This is really pushing me to get a beater/daily instead of the Xterra or just plain reduce trail runs and camping trips.... and get these parts laying around the garage sold off.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Ouch indeed! One of the few draw backs to a highly modified vehicle is you're more financially committed in these situations

richard310

pew pew
Ouch. Those are some rough estimates, sir. Glad you're not giving up on the old girl.

She still shows me a great time, given that she fights back once in awhile and showing it with age. I'm hoping this will be the last of the major maintenance for a very long time. We underpowered and out-classed first-gens have to keep up in game!

Ouch indeed! One of the few draw backs to a highly modified vehicle is you're more financially committed in these situations

That's the unfortunate part. I definitely dug myself a hole on this one. I went WAY past my original plans of keeping this an extremely basic rig with no lift etc etc. Boy, that sure went out the window fast. I guess the good thing out of this is that mechanically, the vehicle is fine and running great with the normal wear-n-tear items needing attention first. Although expensive, but normal and should prolong the life of the vehicle.

Even with this hiccup in finances, I am highly considering changing out the four large roof lights for a streamlined 32" LED bar, but keeping and modifying the Xoskel rack to fit the bar with welded tabs. This should help in the MPG department as I know I lost about 1-2MPG when installing the large lights. Plus all the additional turbulent wind noise created behind the lights and wind dam would be eliminated.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
She still shows me a great time, given that she fights back once in awhile and showing it with age. I'm hoping this will be the last of the major maintenance for a very long time. We underpowered and out-classed first-gens have to keep up in game!

That's the unfortunate part. I definitely dug myself a hole on this one. I went WAY past my original plans of keeping this an extremely basic rig with no lift etc etc. Boy, that sure went out the window fast. I guess the good thing out of this is that mechanically, the vehicle is fine and running great with the normal wear-n-tear items needing attention first. Although expensive, but normal and should prolong the life of the vehicle.

Even with this hiccup in finances, I am highly considering changing out the four large roof lights for a streamlined 32" LED bar, but keeping and modifying the Xoskel rack to fit the bar with welded tabs. This should help in the MPG department as I know I lost about 1-2MPG when installing the large lights. Plus all the additional turbulent wind noise created behind the lights and wind dam would be eliminated.

I did the same thing with the lights. Modified the Xoskel to house a single-row 20", and as hesitant as I was, it's been great for the same reasons you're considering it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven