richard310's 04 Xterra

richard310

pew pew
Rear Bilstein 4600 for 3" lift recieved yesterday from XterraPerformance to replace my rear shocks. No more bouncy bouncy from topped out OE height Bily's. These shocks are MUCH larger in diameter and should help with the dampening of my stiff rear leafs.

Calmini Idler Arm Brace should be here early next week. I'm surprised I never did this in the beginning since it's a fairly inexpensive insurance. With the amount of play I have with the steering, it's better late than never.

richard310

pew pew
I installed the 0"-3" Bilstein HD4600's this past weekend. What a difference. No more topped out shocks and there's actually dampening going on. I also reinforced the rear bumper with some Grade 8.8 bolts. Tightened down my UCA's as one of the bolts had not been tightened down enough causing a LOT of creaking and squeaking. Quite embarrassing if you ask me to drive around with intense creaking.

(Anyone want a pair of Rear OEM length Bilstein 4600 for a first gen? I give you a good price)

I was also able to swap out my Nismo K&N air filter for a stock box with another local Xterra owner. I'm already planning out the hosing for the snorkel even though I'm not at that point yet. :D

Finally received a tracking number for the Calmini Idler Arm Brace. Took them almost a week and a half to ship it out, but it arrives tomorrow. Yikes. Waiting for a reinforcement part that I probably could have fabbed up at my work for free kind of irks me, but as long as it gets to my door step, I'm a happy camper.

WK Sliders are currently being fabbed. No ETA yet.

I also ordered an REI Camp Aluminum Adjustable Roll Table from their outlet store special for $40 (orig $79). Comes in on Thursday. I'll be able to test it out in about two weeks at the Desert Rendezvous.

I'm going to finally have one of the welders help me out and replace the swing out joint on the tire carrier. There is just too much forward and aft movement when not tied down. I'll be switching from the heim joints to a more solid steel tube with a delrin sleeve. I'll also be adding a detent pin to hold the swing arm open when the trunk is open.

My SES light came on for the first time I've owned the Xterra. Turns out it's an P0430 and P0380 code. I'll be replacing some O2 sensors to see if that fixes the problem. I've also heard doing that will turn off the KS code.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I have the same shocks, although not nearly the lift. Still love mine...2.5 years later And 40,000 miles still feel like new to me

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I have that same issue with the creaking. Haven't figured out what it is, but now I'm going to start with the UCA :)

I have that same table from REI. I absolutely love it! Hope you enjoy it.

richard310

pew pew
I have the same shocks, although not nearly the lift. Still love mine...2.5 years later And 40,000 miles still feel like new to me

Ever since I've installed the bilstein's, I've had nothing but great things to say about these shocks. I'm hoping these last the remaining life of my truck as I love the dampening.

richard310

pew pew
I have that same issue with the creaking. Haven't figured out what it is, but now I'm going to start with the UCA :)

I have that same table from REI. I absolutely love it! Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Brian. Im really looking forward to using it in two weeks!
I was able to pin point it be grabbing and shaking everything that moves down in the front end. It turns out it only creaks when pushing the tire laterally when parked. And what a nasty creak it is as it echoes quite loudly...

Linky to table?

ETA: is this it?

If it is, you got a GOOD price on it!

Steve that's it! I was surprised even the girlfriend said "yes, buy it" right there on the spot. I almost missed the deal that day but it was a good thing I added it to my cart.

And I've been in need of a good table whenever we go camping. Using the cargo boxes is a pain when you forget something inside and you've got a meal cooking on top.

Dmski

Adventurer
I'm another guy that can't stand my vehicles making rattling, creaking or cracking noises so I know what you mean there. Comes with the territory of offroading so I've either got to get over it or find a new hobby haha! Is your rig set at 3" lift right now?

richard310

pew pew
I'm another guy that can't stand my vehicles making rattling, creaking or cracking noises so I know what you mean there. Comes with the territory of offroading so I've either got to get over it or find a new hobby haha! Is your rig set at 3" lift right now?

You know to be honest, I never measured the original height of the vehicle nor have I measured the current height...

With my current setup:

Front
Ground to top of fender wheel cutout: 37"
Middle of hub to top of fender wheel cutout: 22"

Rear
Ground to top of wheel fender cutout: 38"
Middle of hub to top of fender wheel cutout: 23"

Middle
Ground to Bottom of Frame Rail: 16"

From what I've gathered, yes, I'm sitting at about a 3" suspension lift.

richard310

pew pew
Installed the Calmini Idler Arm Brace this afternoon.

I also tried to isolate and fix the creaks. It's so annoyingly and extremely loud that it's driving me crazy. I regreased the UCA bushings, and tightened down both bolts but that didn't do anything... I hope this isn't a known problem with Calmini UCA's...

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
They really do speak for themselves, and now I'm oozing jealousy.

How are those brackets holding up for the awning? I'm looking at options to mount mine. And is the other, longer piece an ARB bracket kit?

richard310

pew pew
They really do speak for themselves, and now I'm oozing jealousy.

How are those brackets holding up for the awning? I'm looking at options to mount mine. And is the other, longer piece an ARB bracket kit?

I saved myself some money and actually fabbed up the brackets myself. I used a 1/4" thick of aluminum L-bracket and drilled/tapped straight into the roof rack tube from the top and side. Then I used an Osh shelf L-bracket and drilled a few holes which then threaded into the aluminum L-bracket. The whole thing has held up wonderfully since I installed it.

Only thing is that I need to raise it about another inch because the zipper tabs keep knocking on the roof. Or I just make the adhesive pad on the roof larger (which I just might end up doing)

steve c

Adventurer
Richard, now that you have your fancy new table, which I'm totally jealous of and might perform a strong arm robbery on, what kind of chairs are you going to use?

richard310

pew pew
Well, that depends Steve. Are you going to strong arm rob me on the chairs as well? You're going to end up with a nice set someday... :sombrero:

We don't have good chairs yet. I'm still using the first folding chair I bought some 15-20 years ago for $20, and Deanna's using some $10 folding chair from somewhere that works well enough. We're actually thinking about picking up something similar to REI's Flex-Lite Chair ( http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair ) sometime down the line. Something small to take backpacking in the event we ever decide to go, yet comfortable to leisure in around the campfire.

I'll take some pictures of the table tonight when I get a chance to set it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven