[video=vimeo;169275734]https://vimeo.com/169275734[/video]

Mods:

- SCS F5 Wheels (3.5" BS) & tubbed firewall
- 315/75/16 Toyo MT's (35's)
- 4.56 Nitro Gears
- ARB Air Lockers F/R
- Total Chaos UCA's
- Total Chaos Spindle Gussets
- Fox 2.5 Coilovers w/Resi's + CDC (front ~1.25" of lift over stock)
- Fox 2.0 10" (P/N: 985-24-009) Stroke rear shocks with Wheelers rear progressive AAL (rear ~0.5" of lift over stock with cage)
- Marlin U-Bolt flip kit
- Archive Garage Rear Shackle Flip Kit
- Archive Garage 6" greasable shackle
- Home brew rear bumper
- Rally Armor mud flaps
- Wheelers Extended SS Brake Lines F/R
- ARB Extended diff breather kit
- ARB Twin Compressor mounted underhood (custom mount)
- Blue Sea Aux. Fuse block & 150A breaker
- TRD Longtube Headers
- Borla Catback
- DirtyDeeds Y-Pipe and Magnaflow high flow Cats.
- Morimoto LED turn signals
- FX-R Retrofit w/Philips 85122+ Bulbs and Morimoto 3Five ballasts
- LED dash swap
- Scan Guage II
- 3M Carbon fiber trim wrap on interior panels
- Alpine HU w/bluetooth and Type R speakers
- Tonneau Retrax bed cover
- Powerslot drilled/slotted rotors and pads
- Cruisin Offroad custom DOM Sliders (bolt on)
- Cruisin Offroad custom bed cage
- ARB Simpson III Rooftop Tent
- Baja Designs XL Pro LED lights
- Custom lightbar
- Custom rear storage platform
- ARB Fridge and wiring kit
- Energy poly steering rack bushings
- Daystar front low profile bumpstops

The backstory:

I've had a few build threads now, and probably will have a couple more throughout my life. I like Toyotas and I like building them. They say admittance is the first step in recovery, but I have a feeling this is an addiction that I can't recover from and maybe don't want to.

I'm not new around here and some of you will be familiar with my old rigs:

The first Toyota that bit me with the 'mod bug' and introduced me to backcountry exploration and adventure:
5119812986_d956bc343c_z.jpg

The Dirt Duster - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/60951-98-4Runner-Dirt-Duster-Build

20120301-IMG_1069.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Tom Cruiser - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/114412-Rickashay-s-97-LX450-quot-Tom-Cruiser-quot-Build-Thread

20130920-IMG_3648.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

I just sold "Tom" last weekend. I was sad to see my 4Runner go when I sold it but I already had my 80 in sight when it left and the 80 series was my "dream Toyota 4x4". Jumping platforms was easy and the offroad prowess and durability of the 80-Series platform was extremely alluring. It IS a legendary platform which I saw the benefits of several times throughout my short course of ownership. My build-up was fast and effective and had me crawling the rocks of Moab and NorCal as well as my local faves with ease. I'll be honest deep down inside, if money were no object and garage space was infinite, there's no way in hell I would have sold it. The day the new owner drove off was quite arguably one of the most emotional vehicle experiences I've had. No, I wasnt tearing up but to watch your childhood dream vehicle drive away isn't easy. When I talk about vehicles and there potential to evoke emotion, I typically think and point others in the direction of the movie/documentary "Love the Beast" about Eric Bana's beloved Ford Falcon. It's funny how we can get attached to these rolling blocks of metal.

In reality I had too many vehicles. I needed to have occasional access to a truck for my job, my mountain bike trips, and life in general. My Subaru Legacy GT is my DD and is a perfect DD. My fiance needs a car and her 04 Corolla fits the bill perfectly. Having to axe one from the fleet as I prepare for my wedding and a house purchase made the choice easy but the decision to follow through very difficult. I guess what pushed me over-the-top was the fact that I really do like my Tundra. It has a better powertrain, I actually kind of miss the IFS for its road manors, and it has taken me across ~45,000kms without worry in the past 16 months. I drive this truck hard admittedly and it still shows no worse for wear.

I had a moment of contradictory thought a few months ago which started this thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/129522-My-04-Tundra-Mistress-Keep-my-LX-or-Build-the-Tundy

That brings me to today. Lexusless.

So why the Tundra? I could sell the Tundra and buy something else... I have tossed around the idea of a LX470 or 4th/5th gen 4Runner but I like this platform. Again 2UZ, wheelbase and width (minus Limited flares) are nearly identical to an Access Cab 2nd Gen Tacoma. I'm a big guy and the interior space in the Tundra is appreciated while not being excessive. The aftermarket leaves a lot to be desired for this platform but as the prices start to come down we are already seeing more builds of these rigs start to pop up. The aftermarket just has yet to fully develop for it. The 7.5" front diff is a weak point in my eyes as well as the C-Channel frame but issues I hope to remedy or at least post-pone. I've learnt a lot about my needs and Toyotas throughout the course of my last builds so this build will aquire that knowledge and direction and apply it forward. I like learning and I hope to continue to learn with my Tundra.

The ultimate goal is to build a truck of compromises - one that is not exceptional at any one thing, but decent at all things. I find it rather ironic that I also made a huge compromise (my Lexus) to even land in this position, so the reasoning is fitting.

Some background.

My Tundra currently has 228,000kms (142,000 miles). I'm the third owner. It was dealer serviced from 2004 to 2012 and I have a receipt for every single oil change and service record from then until now. It has no accidents and it's a Limited with dealer installed heated seats. Maintenance is up to date with the most recent items below:
- Oil change
- T-Case and Diff fluid change
- Air filter
- Spark Plugs
- Transmission drain and fill
- Bilstein shocks (levelling kit)
- Powerstop rotors/pads (awaiting installation)
- 265/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx on SCS Stealth 6 wheels

Here is the truck upon my purchase last year:

20120513-IMG_1604.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

After a few months of ownership:

20120718-IMG_1700.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

The most recent build thread worthy photo I can muster:

20130726-IMG_3204.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

I'll be taking this build slower as a whole and enjoying the build-up process in terms of being able to evaluate individual things as they are added instead of modding in lump sums, for the most part. Like I siad, I've learnt a lot, and one thing I've learnt is to build the truck around the tire size you want to run. In my case 35's.

On the ordering list in the coming weeks:
- 315/75/16 MT/R Kevlars
- Fox Suspension and Camburg/TC UCA's for the front
- Rear Deaver AAL, shackle flip, and custom shock hoops for longer (TBD) Fox's out back
- 4.56/4.88 Nitro gears and ARB lockers f/r
- White Knuckle offroad bolt-on sliders

I'll be keeping the truck to 1.5-2" of lift. Firewall tubbing will be required but the rear should handle the tire size ok. Lots of work to get it off the ground but it will be slowing moving after the initial influx.

That's enough verbage for now. I look forward to contributing to the Tundra and Expo in general. It's bittersweet to have the LX go but I think I'll be happy once this build gets rolling.

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
Can't wait to see this. Loved your 4runner and the Cruiser.

Those White Knuckle sliders are expensive$$$$

Last edited:

jds0912

Adventurer
Sweet dude, looking forward to it; your threads are the best. I have an access-cab tacoma; what's the tundy like on interior space? I read you're getting married, would hate to see you selling this rig in a few years to make room for...kids. Half the reason I've not seriously built mine.

rickashay

Explorer
Are you building a shackle flip, or modifying an existing one?

Either going to modify a ATO 2nd Gen Tacoma one or build one.

Can't wait to see this. Loved your 4runner and the Cruiser.

Those White Knuckle sliders are expensive$$$$

Thanks Sean! I've always watched your Tundra thread to see your next move. I'll be over in your thread frequently for info I'm sure!

They are expensive. Just haven't found another bolt-on slider alternative. I had the Stubbs slider on my 4Runner and loved them but I like the idea of having them removed to re-paint/powdercoat every few years. You know of any others? All Pro might have some available but I've never been a fan of how theirs look.

Sweet dude, looking forward to it; your threads are the best. I have an access-cab tacoma; what's the tundy like on interior space? I read you're getting married, would hate to see you selling this rig in a few years to make room for...kids. Half the reason I've not seriously built mine.

Interior space is pretty good. The backseat is not very helpful as an actual seat but when I remove the seat bottoms and seat back I should be able to make a pretty good space for storage and for my dogs to hang out. Maybe do some drawers underneath for storage.

Good point on the kids. If I said it hasnt crossed my mind I would be lying. At that point though the Tundra can be retried as an Adventure Rig and I can cut the IFS off and make it my crawler. Maybe build a mild 5th Gen 4Runner or a 100 series for the wife. I'll cross that bridge when I get there... lol

seanpistol

Explorer
They are expensive. Just haven't found another bolt-on slider alternative. I had the Stubbs slider on my 4Runner and loved them but I like the idea of having them removed to re-paint/powdercoat every few years. You know of any others? All Pro might have some available but I've never been a fan of how theirs look.

Stubbs, All-Pro and White Knuckle are all I know of. White Knuckle being the only bolt on option. Obviously the other alternative is the fab a set of have them fabbed.

Stubbs recommends using a Hammer finish spray paint from Wal-Mart on their sliders so they can be touched up easily, and the paint has some texture so they aren't so slick to step on when wet.

Personally, I think I'm going to order the All-Pro sliders soon. They have some kick up, or canting, whatever you want to call it, and the Stubbs sliders look completely flat which I'm not a fan of. I'm going to knock any surface rust off my frame and POR-15 it, then weld on the All-Pro sliders and paint them with the Hammer finish paint Stubbs recommended. Seems like they'll get scratched easily, so I don't want to go the route of powdercoat.

You going to keep the SCS wheels? I'd definitely want 3.5" backspacing with 315s. My skinnier 285s rubbed the frame at full lock with 4.5" backspacing, which is why I'm running 1.25" spacers.

soonenough

Explorer
Definitely looking forward to this one....your build threads are always awesome, Addison.

...what's the tundy like on interior space? I read you're getting married, would hate to see you selling this rig in a few years to make room for...kids...
As much as I hate to potentially rain on the parade this early in the process, this is something to think about if you're planning to have kids anytime soon (if you're not, disregard this post entirely). I have a double cab '08 Tacoma that I absolutely love, but I bought it when I was single and unmarried. Fast forward 7+ years, I'm married and have two kids under 18 months old, and let me tell you it's not easy fitting two car seats in there (especially rear-facing) while maintaining normal comfort for the front-seat passengers, even in the double-cab. You may have already thought this through, but in the chance you haven't, it's definitely something to think about.

EDIT: got interrupted in the middle of posting this response, and by the time I posted it you'd already answered the question. Nothing to see here, move along...back to your regularly scheduled soon-to-be-awesome Tundra build.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Will be watching this thread also.

Stubbs recommends using a Hammer finish spray paint from Wal-Mart on their sliders so they can be touched up easily, and the paint has some texture so they aren't so slick to step on when wet.

I'm a little disappointed in that spray paint. After installing my Stubbs it's what I have been using, and it chips a lot easier than I thought it would; I feel like I touch up areas too often. There isn't a texture to it, it just looks like there is but it is smooth.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
dibs on those SCS wheels if your gonna sell them. personally i think you should keep them and just go with a 315 70 17 MTR or a 305...

Greenyota

Observer
Looks like this is going to be a great build. Looking forward to see how you tube the firewall and set up the rear suspension.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
They are expensive. Just haven't found another bolt-on slider alternative. I had the Stubbs slider on my 4Runner and loved them but I like the idea of having them removed to re-paint/powdercoat every few years. You know of any others? All Pro might have some available but I've never been a fan of how theirs .

Rocky Road in Heber Utah makes bolt on sliders. Rocky-road.com

seanpistol

Explorer

What! I had no idea they make sliders and they're right around the corner from me. I've been in there once when I had them compress my OME coil onto my shock... just sent them an email to try and get some photos and pricing.

rickashay

Explorer
Stubbs, All-Pro and White Knuckle are all I know of. White Knuckle being the only bolt on option. Obviously the other alternative is the fab a set of have them fabbed.

Personally, I think I'm going to order the All-Pro sliders soon. They have some kick up, or canting, whatever you want to call it, and the Stubbs sliders look completely flat which I'm not a fan of. I'm going to knock any surface rust off my frame and POR-15 it, then weld on the All-Pro sliders and paint them with the Hammer finish paint Stubbs recommended. Seems like they'll get scratched easily, so I don't want to go the route of powdercoat.

You going to keep the SCS wheels? I'd definitely want 3.5" backspacing with 315s. My skinnier 285s rubbed the frame at full lock with 4.5" backspacing, which is why I'm running 1.25" spacers.

I ran the Stubbs and Hammerite paint on my 4Runner. IMO the Tremclad household paint held up much better than every other rattle can I have tried and I still use it for everything on my truck that I rattlecan. Grilles, emblems, whatever.

All-Pro might be an option but I'm still stuck on a bolt on. Might even inquire about having a set fabbed up locally. You got it, 3.5" BS SCS F5's.

Definitely looking forward to this one....your build threads are always awesome, Addison.

As much as I hate to potentially rain on the parade this early in the process, this is something to think about if you're planning to have kids anytime soon (if you're not, disregard this post entirely). I have a double cab '08 Tacoma that I absolutely love, but I bought it when I was single and unmarried. Fast forward 7+ years, I'm married and have two kids under 18 months old, and let me tell you it's not easy fitting two car seats in there (especially rear-facing) while maintaining normal comfort for the front-seat passengers, even in the double-cab. You may have already thought this through, but in the chance you haven't, it's definitely something to think about.

EDIT: got interrupted in the middle of posting this response, and by the time I posted it you'd already answered the question. Nothing to see here, move along...back to your regularly scheduled soon-to-be-awesome Tundra build.

Well it IS good advice. The Tundra is paid for and owes me nothing. I hope to keep it as my "toy" even after toddlers start showing up (which is a few years away still...). Thanks for checking in!

Will be watching this thread also.

I'm a little disappointed in that spray paint. After installing my Stubbs it's what I have been using, and it chips a lot easier than I thought it would; I feel like I touch up areas too often. There isn't a texture to it, it just looks like there is but it is smooth.

Again, another great Tundra build. I can't wait to pull my rear seats after seeing your out. Glad we have a handful of loyal 1st Gen Tundra guys around here to bounce ideas off.

dibs on those SCS wheels if your gonna sell them. personally i think you should keep them and just go with a 315 70 17 MTR or a 305...

Lol you want a second set? I was planning on keeping them for "winter" rims. I've debated throwing the 35's on them....

was wondering when you were going to make this thread. lol

Yah... where's yours?!?!

What! I had no idea they make sliders and they're right around the corner from me. I've been in there once when I had them compress my OME coil onto my shock... just sent them an email to try and get some photos and pricing.

Actually emailed them today.... no Access Cab sliders. bummer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach