*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

vicali

Adventurer
12:02pm
I'll be taking this build slower...

On the ordering list in the coming weeks:
- 315/75/16 MT/R Kevlars
- Fox Suspension and Camburg/TC UCA's for the front
- Rear Deaver AAL, shackle flip, and custom shock hoops for longer (TBD) Fox's out back
- 4.56/4.88 Nitro gears and ARB lockers f/r
- White Knuckle offroad bolt-on sliders

3:56pm
Just ordered:
- Fox Extended Travel 2.5" Coilovers with Resi's and CDC Adjusters
- Total Chaos UCA's
- Total Chaos Spindle Gussets
- 3 leaf progressive AAL (same as the Wheelers AAL): will be using this short term to mock up rear suspension, will eventually go to a custom Deaver pack when the rear is dialed in.
- SCS F5's with 3.5" BS
- Retrax Tonneau Cover (used from a local CT4WD member)

9:22pm
Ordered

- Diff drop
- SS front and rear brake lines
- Poly Steering Rack bushings
- Rear Brake prop. valve bracket

and courtesy of above:
- ORS Inner boots (x3) hope to pick up 1 or two spare CV's from the pick and pull and have one booted with the good inner boots.

lol, took you long enough.. ;)

BrianTN

Adventurer
Just ordered:
- Fox Extended Travel 2.5" Coilovers with Resi's and CDC Adjusters
- Total Chaos UCA's
- Total Chaos Spindle Gussets
- 3 leaf progressive AAL (same as the Wheelers AAL): will be using this short term to mock up rear suspension, will eventually go to a custom Deaver pack when the rear is dialed in.
- SCS F5's with 3.5" BS
- Retrax Tonneau Cover (used from a local CT4WD member)

Awesome, can't wait to hear your impressions on the Foxes.

rickashay

Explorer
lol, took you long enough.. ;)

I was waiting for that... LOL

In all seriousness though, trying to minimize shipping costs by doing only ONE run down to the US. Tires are really the only thing left to order before I start the heavy wrenching. Then its SLOW from there on out, promise. lol

Awesome, can't wait to hear your impressions on the Foxes.

Will do. I was worried about the level of maintenance required when going to a performance shock like this... you have to expect them to need a rebuild every so often depending on how much you drive them. I honestly debated the Toytec BOSS kit as I heard good things but considering I will not be DD'ing the truck, I shouldn't put too many miles on it so I went with the Foxes. Once I get the rear bucket or hoops built I'll be ordering a matching set for back there. Hoping to run a 14" shock in the rear or at minimum a 12" stroke.

rickashay

Explorer
Let's talk sliders..... Who's got what?

White Knuckle look bulletproof but they are VERY pricey.

Stubbs are proven but not bolt on, but the pricepoint is attractive

All Pro doesnt really show the mounts on their website or the weight. Overall just not a fan of the shape but again, good price point.

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
I've looked into them a lot and I like All-Pro's the best. Not interested in a bolt on, and I don't like that Stubb's are flat with no cant or kick-up or whatever you want to call it. All-Pro has the outer tube angled up. I've also considered having someone local build me a set because it would probably be cheaper and I could get exactly what I want.

This photo shows the outer tube kicked up on the All-Pro Tundra. They also told me the kick up on the Tacomas is the same(second photo).

all-pro-off-road-toyota-tundra-sliders-3.jpg

tacosliders_thumb.jpg

Compared with anything from Stubbs-

bikerjosh

Explorer
FYI-If you like Stubbs give Richard a call, I'm sure he can cant them for you.
Here is a shot of my HD-SKO sliders on my 06 DC
IMG_20141012_121456_462_zps30b78a70.jpg

MojaveMadMan

Observer
Man you are at 5 pages and you haven't even done anything yet. I think it is safe to say people are excited about your build!

I know most people in your other thread told you to keep the LC but I am happy to see you went this route. Your "baseline" of mods are going to be awesome and I know you will love the Fox's. I have used them on many projects and they never disappoint. Their quality is truly 2nd to none. Looking forward to seeing what you do here!!!

the kid

Juke Box Hero
Lol you want a second set? I was planning on keeping them for "winter" rims. I've debated throwing the 35's on them....

yeah... i want 3 for my trailer(one spare for the trailer), and well as i dont see anyone selling 3 wheels lol i figured id have to get a set of 4. but if you are gonna keep them then yeah i cant blame you. i only called dibs because they are the sliver wheels and yeah well you know about the silver ones lol. i just am glad i was able to snag 5 when i did!

rickashay

Explorer
FYI-If you like Stubbs give Richard a call, I'm sure he can cant them for you.
Here is a shot of my HD-SKO sliders on my 06 DC

Man, nice color of Tundra! I actually emailed Richard, awaiting his response. I've delt with him before and he's a pretty cool guy. Hopefully he's willing to make a couple adjustments.

Man you are at 5 pages and you haven't even done anything yet. I think it is safe to say people are excited about your build!

I know most people in your other thread told you to keep the LC but I am happy to see you went this route. Your "baseline" of mods are going to be awesome and I know you will love the Fox's. I have used them on many projects and they never disappoint. Their quality is truly 2nd to none. Looking forward to seeing what you do here!!!

lol yah... thats right.:cool: I miss the LX already. It's actually in my work parking lot right now. BUT onto the next chapter.... project "Doug" will soon be underway.

Yes, my Tundras name is Doug and it has been since I bought it. My friends actually refer to my Tundra as "Dougie". haha

yeah... i want 3 for my trailer(one spare for the trailer), and well as i dont see anyone selling 3 wheels lol i figured id have to get a set of 4. but if you are gonna keep them then yeah i cant blame you. i only called dibs because they are the sliver wheels and yeah well you know about the silver ones lol. i just am glad i was able to snag 5 when i did!

Ooooh that would be cool to match with the trailer. You've got first dibs Isaac if I decide to change my mind. I do have a set of 5-Spoke 3rd Gen wheels in my garage also that I could put to use.

Ordered

315/75/16 Toyo Open Country M/T

I thought I was set on running MTR Kevlars again, but after a trip to The Gear Shop I decided to give the Toyo's a try. I've heard a lot of good things about them other than how heavy they are.... but I no longer have a gutless inline/V6, I have a V8! HA :D

On a side note, I'd really like to get a small Front Runner Rack for over the cab of the truck. Front Runner doesn't make anything specifically but I wonder if the Double Cab Tacoma one would work, obviously it would need some custom mounts.

here:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/216779-front-runner-slimline-roof-racks-pics-2.html

Last edited:

the kid

Juke Box Hero
I have a set of hypersilver sequoia split-spoke 17s in my garage I'd trade lol.

Every one I know running the toyos loves them even in spite of their crazy weight. On lighter trucks they wear like iron but yet somehow still provide decent traction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk