*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

rickashay

Explorer
Who did you go through for your front and rear Fox's? What was the lead time, and, if you don't mind, what was the $ for the fronts?

Fox stuff was purchased through Nathan at The Gear Shop in Calgary. Nate is an awesome dude and they have so many great products there. It's like MEC/4 Wheel parts in that store. Very dangerous place.

Call him for pricing. Lead time was insane but I think they may be better sorted with Fox now. GL!

WillBeck

Adventurer
I hope you don't mind too much, but I really like your bed rack. I am going to have a friend fab one up very similar for my Tacoma. I like that it sits below cab height, and has the removable rear hoop.

rickashay

Explorer
I hope you don't mind too much, but I really like your bed rack. I am going to have a friend fab one up very similar for my Tacoma. I like that it sits below cab height, and has the removable rear hoop.

Thanks, I love the rack too! haha If I had decided to make this truck a dedicated crawler I would have kept it even lower but I continually find myself gravitating more towards overlanding and adventure travel than dedicated "crawling". If your uses are similar, it's a deadly setup! I've got some cool plans for the spring to ad some more features.

Maybe I missed it, but do you have any plans for filling the holes from the flares?

Yes I do plan on filling them. I'll be doing what I did on my LX450, filling the holes and then covering with LineX. I will not be covering half the truck like I did with the LX450 but more of a traditional 3-4" edge around the rocker panels and wheel wells to cover the flare holes and cover all the chip-prone areas. However, you might see the truck with flare holes for a little while as I won't be doing the LineX until I have my rear high-clearance bumper built. I want the LineX to be the last addition so it covers all the new raw edges of sheetmetal (have to cut rear bedsides for the rear bumper and have already cut the front wheel wells).

WillBeck

Adventurer
Glad you approve, it's in the shop right now haha. My uses are very limited trails and rocks, more overlanding and as much high speed desert style running that my mid travel setup can get away with.

Mine will likely be even lower, as I'm keeping the tent height completely below the roof line.

I'm going to have the forward hoop be an inch or so above the roofline to mount the dual band antenna and maybe a few area lights for setting up camp.

Addison,

Great build, we are quite similar in trucks, build, taste and purpose. Running 1st gen Donahoes recently rebuilt, camburg UCAs, ICON 2.5 piggybacks w 3-leaf overload replacement and 1" block w KMC enduros and 285/75/76 Cooper AT3s.

Had this truck since new with 11 miles (04 4x4) just hit 130k, not a hickup less PM items; many adventures, amazing where these trucks can go and how many naysayers you can impress some good shocks and driving skills.

Future plans are in line with yours, thanks for the inspiration. Cant believe you haven't mashed your rear quarters yet, mine have been custom "smashed" to clear on both sides.

A few questions:

-Did you source that front end clicking?

-Are you running a sway bar? Had mine off completely (and lost it whoops) for 5 years. Sways just a bit on the highways, but overall predicable and love off road performance having the arms be fully independent.

-Limit straps? Supposedly they are "internal", hasn't broken yet, are you planning to strap the front? Same ? for rear or are the leafs bottoming out before the shock is fully extended?

-How are the road manners with that RTT up there? Noticeable? Wanting to do a RTT but want to keep it below the roofline and closer to the bed, but want to retain some accessibility to equipment as well.

-Any idea how much extra weight all this steel is putting on Doug? Weighted yours lately? Did mine way back when with 3 people inside; 5380. Adding 1K of weight through steel is not desirable but will do so to protect the essential components.

-I am 6'5" and still desire some legroom, have you had any thoughts on this? Always pondered moving the brackets back a few inches since nobody sits in the back anyways.

-When you start your Tundra cold how does it sound? Mine sounds like a freaking diesel on idle and acceleration until it warms up then sounds as it should. Some at TS have called this "piston slap" and whatnot, I have had zero performance, oil burning, etc issues but just annoying and nobody has a clear answer. Its more pronounced in cold weather so thought you might have it as well.

Glad you have kept your truck, 12 years now with mine and still have no desire to sell it, I want to keep building it!

Thanks,

-Bryan

Attachments

• Tundra.jpg
    Tundra.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
blueranger501; said:
-When you start your Tundra cold how does it sound? Mine sounds like a freaking diesel on idle and acceleration until it warms up then sounds as it should. Some at TS have called this "piston slap" and whatnot, I have had zero performance, oil burning, etc issues but just annoying and nobody has a clear answer. Its more pronounced in cold weather so thought you might have it as well.

I know you were asking Addison but sounds to me like an exhaust leak. I bet that if you haven't replaced the original exhaust manifold gaskets already that's what you are hearing. They are notorious for failing. The sound often mysteriously disappears because the manifold heats up and the metal expands which closes some of the gaps in the worn out gaskets.
Nice truck BTW!

rickashay

Explorer
Addison,

Great build, we are quite similar in trucks, build, taste and purpose. Running 1st gen Donahoes recently rebuilt, camburg UCAs, ICON 2.5 piggybacks w 3-leaf overload replacement and 1" block w KMC enduros and 285/75/76 Cooper AT3s.

Had this truck since new with 11 miles (04 4x4) just hit 130k, not a hickup less PM items; many adventures, amazing where these trucks can go and how many naysayers you can impress some good shocks and driving skills.

Future plans are in line with yours, thanks for the inspiration. Cant believe you haven't mashed your rear quarters yet, mine have been custom "smashed" to clear on both sides.

A few questions:

-Did you source that front end clicking?

-Are you running a sway bar? Had mine off completely (and lost it whoops) for 5 years. Sways just a bit on the highways, but overall predicable and love off road performance having the arms be fully independent.

-Limit straps? Supposedly they are "internal", hasn't broken yet, are you planning to strap the front? Same ? for rear or are the leafs bottoming out before the shock is fully extended?

-How are the road manners with that RTT up there? Noticeable? Wanting to do a RTT but want to keep it below the roofline and closer to the bed, but want to retain some accessibility to equipment as well.

-Any idea how much extra weight all this steel is putting on Doug? Weighted yours lately? Did mine way back when with 3 people inside; 5380. Adding 1K of weight through steel is not desirable but will do so to protect the essential components.

-I am 6'5" and still desire some legroom, have you had any thoughts on this? Always pondered moving the brackets back a few inches since nobody sits in the back anyways.

Glad you have kept your truck, 12 years now with mine and still have no desire to sell it, I want to keep building it!

Thanks,

Thanks for the compliments! Agree, these trucks are incredible and as the market for them grows, it's exciting to see them get some aftermarket attention they deserve. They are a little large on the trail but good driving and their comfort level on the long drives to the trail make it a non-issue.

- Front end clicking is gone. Probably lost it when I replaced pretty much everything in the front end. Still haven't done the steering rack yet (will be going with a Safari Ltd. rack when OEM dies) and would like to weld the steering shaft joint like the 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma guys do. That's the only amount of play that I feel on this truck and it's only occasionally when I'm on the trail in really rough sections.

- Sway bar was gone when I did the 35's. I think I threw it out?

- Limit straps: don't run them. Leafs are the limiter in the rear. I do plan on doing the fronts in the summer to be cautious and I will do the rear once it's fully dialed in but I'm a ways from that.

- RTT is off for the winter and comparing the two scenarios (on/off) I honestly don't notice it very much. I mean you can definitely tell it's there but I've never felt super uncomfortable (even off camber at 30 degrees) with the RTT. I am just "mindful" when it's on and thats about it. I thought about keeping it lower but I don't like restricting the bed space. I can still use my truck for truck duties when needed, even if the RTT is on. Fuel mileage is a pretty stable 15-16mpg regardless of how loaded the truck is.

- Need to weigh it next spring when loaded for camping. I was planning on running aluminum skids and maybe even an aluminum front bumper and steel rear. Might keep both bumpers steel but skids will be aluminum. Jason @ Cruisin Offroad was T-boned a few weeks ago and is currently recovering, so I may not be able to get booked in for new armour this year depending on the timelines of his recovery. But it might not be a bad thing, I've been wheeling the truck lots without them and I might be changing my wheel/tire package up with some beadlocks if I don't do the armour in the spring and also going to a more A/T type tire to save some rotational mass.

- I would like a little more room in the front seats but it doesn't bother me that much at all. I have a pair of mint Lexus IS300 seats in my garage that might one day find their way into the Tundra. If they do, I will probably mount the seats a few inches farther back seeing as how I will need to make brackets anyway.

- Yup, Jeremiah is right. Mine ticked and sounded awful on cold start until I did the TRD headers and new exhaust manifold gaskets. Now it just sounds violent when I cold start my truck in the garage. hahah However, I heard its the actual manifold that usually cracks giving the leak, not necessarily the gaskets.

I know you were asking Addison but sounds to me like an exhaust leak. I bet that if you haven't replaced the original exhaust manifold gaskets already that's what you are hearing. They are notorious for failing. The sound often mysteriously disappears because the manifold heats up and the metal expands which closes some of the gaps in the worn out gaskets.
Nice truck BTW!

As above! haha

Was lucky enough to hit the trail for the day yesterday. Long day with lots of snow. Very interesting conditions as the snow was virtually like sand. It would not pack no matter how many times you would drive forward/reverse over a section. Made it very difficult to control direction and traction was almost non existent, it was strictly a formula of wheel speed and RPM. The rev limiter was used thoroughly this day.

Nathan's minty Tacoma:

IMG_5914.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

BRRAAAAP!

IMG_5923.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

I spy:

IMG_5919.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

The Pig:

IMG_5930.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Doug.

IMG_5937.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Uh Oh! Almost flopped the Lexus here...

IMG_5946.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

One of the best things about our wheeling crew: calm, thorough, and thoughtful in all scenarios. A well executed and successful recovery.

IMG_5952.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Big Guns breaking trail. Who ever thought the 35's and lockers wouldn't be enough?! Had to bring on the 37's, Marlin crawler gears, lockers, and 6 psi in the beadlocks.

IMG_5954.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Long and awesome day. Airing up:

IMG_5959.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

seanpistol

Explorer
Doug looks good. Share your thoughts about beadlocks on a daily driver..... There is a pair of Method 105's for cheap on the local classifieds that have had my eye the last few days. I've read into it a bit with limited time, but am curious to hear what you think. I'd love to be able to run single digit PSI, but not at the expense of a possible issue on the road. From what I've read Hutchinson is the only manufacturer that makes a DOT approved beadlock, but I'm not sure how it's different than the rest.

I have a pair of mint WRX seats I picked up for the Tacoma, but am now considering putting in the Tundra... haha!

I like the recovery of the Lexus- good thinking on that one!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
hey addison

I'm running 35's on a 5th generation 4Runner and i want to go with some deeper offset wheels. as it is right now at about 90% lock and compression the edge of the tire will rub on the body/firewall. i flipped through the pages where you did the body cutting, but i wanted to know if you had any advise you could offer on selecting the size of cut to make and if you had any suggestions to add now the you've done it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven