RMP&O's v8 80-series

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Btw I did bottom out the back end a half dozen or so times in Baja. When fully loaded it is not very happy back there. Down the hwy at about 6200lbs the rear is happy but it needs to be dialed in better for sure. Luckily didn't blow a shock. I don't mind being stiff in the rear when unloaded and it is real easy to swap springs so I could do that when taking a trip and being very heavy.

Down South valved the Fox for lots of weight and they are charged to 200psi. The Fox can also be easily re-valved.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Alrighty, now that I am home I will do a bit of trip report (short) and add some pics.

As you can see by previous posts it was a major crush for me to get ready to leave. There was a bunch of reasons for that which I will skip but it was a first for me to crunch so hard before leaving on a trip.

The two days before I left I only slept 6hrs in 48 and worked on the truck almost the entire rest of the time. I finally just stopped working on the truck at about 12am or 1am Thursday/Friday. I had a few things left to do but they were not important (wiring of camp lights & power ports) so I stopped and began to toss my gear together. I rolled out of Jackson at 4am Friday morning. Once loaded I knew I had rear suspension issues, actually knew before that. Was squatting in the rear and I was worried I was going to blow a Fox shock on the trip. So I made arrangements to pick up new rear coils and some shocks from Kurt. Picked those up on my way south. Spent 5 or 6 days with my buddy Jason (Krazytoy) before we had to part ways, mostly because I needed to go to the hospital in Loreto and he didn't want/need to go that far south on his limited time budget. I had a dog bite that needed medical attention as well as some antibiotics which is why I needed to hit the hospital in Loreto. Once there, I was in and out in only 8 minutes and the emergency room visit cost me $14!! Gotta love Mexico! I feel I made one big mistake on the trip which I will talk about at the end of this thread.

For more on the first part of the trip, see my buddy Jason's thread here,

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/138140-Boise-to-Baja-in-a-60-Series-Land-Cruiser

After that we (my co-pilot & myself) drove down to Los Barrilles, 4wd out a wash onto the beach between Los Barrilles and La Ribera and camped. After that we drove the East Cape road. Met an amazing father/son team from mainland Mexico who are kayaking the entire Sea of Cortez. Spent most of a day drinking beers with the son and listening to his awesome stories. That was at Cabo Pulmo. One story he told I will never forget. They had been out to sea when the hurricane hit on some islands. They were making the crossing from mainland mexico to Baja to begin their SoC journey. Now I have done some sea kayaking and crossing the Sea of Cortez is no small feat that much I am sure of. The son was also using an open top kayak which means he is wet 24/7 out at sea and the boat is much less stable than a sit in where you can wear a skirt and seal the hull up. Any ways, when the hurricane hit they held up in a cave on an island. It was about 20ft off the deck above the sea. They lashed their kayaks and gear down to some rocks and fortified in the cave. They spent the next three days in that cave and did not leave, even to go to the bathroom. He said the sea was lapping at the mouth of the cave for a lot of it. He also said the eye of the storm passed over them and for 30 minutes it was clear blue sky and calm. Unfriggin believable! One of the most incredible stories I have ever heard. On top of all this the son had been abandon by his father when young, he now was 20-22ish and was rediscovering and bonding with his father. They were on a 6 month journey and were at the last 2 weeks of the trip. They also walked the width of Baja 100% self reliant when it was hot about 4 months ago carrying over 7 gallons of water each. I met the father, a very nice and respectful man. My age, 40's and looked like he was in the marines. Extremely good physical condition.

We hit some beaches as we drove down the East cape for a peak here and there. I like my truck at these times a lot when I am in and out of 4wd a lot. We spotted some waves while on the East cape, mostly at 9 Palms. But we lacked boards and were heading to San Jose to get some. As soon as we hit San Jose we hit up Costa Azul Surf Shop to buy boards. I bought one there last time in Baja, back in 2009/10 and liked it so wanted another. However, last trip I didn't get to meet Alex Olea the shaper and owner of Costa Azul. Well, this time he was there and came right out to greet us. As most people know Baja got beat down hard by the hurricane last September. Costa Azul lost 95% of their inventory and their shop was a total loss. None the less Alex starts hooking us up left and right. We bought two boards from him (used) and he gave us wax, shirts, hats, stickers, sunblock and tossed in new leashes. Before we left he also invented us to go fishing with him on Sunday, at this time it was Friday afternoon. We were soooo stoked, Alex is such an outstanding human being and person. Of course we agreed to go fishing! He said all we had to pay for was fuel, no worries we said. I had met Alex's nephew Roy Olea who runs their shop at Cerritos on my last trip, mentioned it to Alex and told him we were headed there next to see Roy. BTW, Roy is an outstanding person also and is a surf instructor at Cerritos. Alex instantly says, you guys can camp in our compound there, for free! Man, we were blown away, these people are more than just nice.

So off we went to Cerritos, we arrived late like 9pm. I was disappointed to see it has really blown up there, I simply prefer things undeveloped. It was a much mellower scene there 5yrs ago when I last was in Baja. It is still nice and will always have good waves but was pretty packed when we were there. None the less we posted up in the Costa Azul compound, met everyone, Rafa, Roy's uncle and all of their's mother, her we just called mama. Now she is one fantastic human being also. Unbelievable really. They were cooking carne asada when we arrived and fed us. We spent the next 4 days at Cerritos. Unfortunately it was raining and cold, this began and 9 day stint of rain on us. Not constant but pretty much a shower every day. I had forgot my wetsuit at home and Alex didn't have any at his shop. So my first day surfing I only spent 45mins of so in the water before I was freezing. Normally it is warm here but with the rain it was cold. There was swell though. On Sunday we went back to San Jose to go fishing with Alex. We kind of got skunked that day and only caught a bunch of bonita which I don't care for. Oddly enough at the docks that morning, just random, was a high school buddy and good friend of Alex's, his name I am leaving out on purpose but he is on the city council for Cabo+San Jose. Something we didn't learn until the end of the fishing trip. Of course he jumped in the boat with us and we all went out to the tuna grounds. Both these guys grew up together and have been friends for nearly 40yrs. They also knew all the people at the docks so they scored a big bag of yellow fin for free and we headed up in the hills to the council man's house. His wife prepare dish after dish of sushi. It was outstanding and the conversations I will remember a lifetime. Some bonding definitely took place. We went back to Cerritos for that night but the next day hit up Cabo again to stock up as we were running low on supplies. Alex had offered to exchange some money for me as he gets a really good rate so went back to Costa Azul where he hooked me up again! Man, what a guy, can't say enough god things about this guy, his family and friends.

After this we spent another day at Cerritos and then decided to head north. Roy hooked me up with a good wetsuit for $100. We said goodbye to Roy & Rafa but saying goodbye to mama was heart breaking. She hugged me and wouldn't let go and started crying, I almost cried myself. I will never forget her!! While there we had shared a bunch of meals with them and also sat around every night sharing beers and stories. Please if you go to Cerritos give these folks your business, they have been there a really long time and as you can read are exceptional people. They have a lot of competition these days and just 5yrs ago it was nearly all their beach.

We wanted to drive from Todos Santos up the coast/beach to Punta Conjeo. We tried to do just that but got shut down about 40 miles north of Todos due to a massive construction project taking place. Eventually we decided this site must be for sea salt production as they were building huge flood plains, ducts and channels to direct sea water and more. We couldn't find a way around it, even right up the beach. I did however air down to 8psi and did 40mph for 20 miles or so right along the ocean. A fun but risky drive as the sand was soft and it was obvious at high tide it came up to where we were driving. With another truck no probs but alone it was risky, we were way out 40 miles north of Todos on dirt tracks and up the beach. I even 4wd'ed up a few washes as far as I could make it comfortably alone. Found some of that chalky talcum dust you always here about in Baja, thick, deep and super fine particles. We finally gave up at dusk and found a good place to camp in the dunes. The next day we headed back to Todos and then made our way to Scorpion Bay. I missed this spot last trip and wanted to hit it up.

It was kind of a long drive and the paved road out to Scorpion in trashed badly. We made it in though and found some camping on the point at about 930pm. We had actually hit a jack rabbit on the way in, I tried to miss it but he darted under my tires. We collected it in hopes of BBQ rabbit for dinner but unfortunately but the time we got to camp we discovered he had soiled himself when he got squashed so he ended up crab food in the sea. I woke up at sunrise the next day to see the bay as flat as a lake, bummer. I took a long walk that morning checking out all the other points where there actually was some waves. However, I was not surfing that until I saw it at low tide since it is over rocks/reef and I am a newb surfer. It rained a bit this day too and was a bit cold. I worked on the wiring I hadn't finished before leaving and got it done. My buddy went for a short surf on very small waves on point #2, the main point into the bay. That night I got very sick. I started throwing up violently at about 9 or 10pm. It got worse and worse and I also began to have bad diarrhea. This continued for 2-days and I spent all but about 6hrs of 48 sleeping in the back of my truck. I couldn't keep anything down. On the 3rd day I felt a little better but still not much for waves and it was rainy so we decided to leave and head back over to the SoC and Loreto. I had met a super awesome couple who have a place south of Loreto 5yrs ago and wanted to see them again. They were not there when we passed through 7 or so days earlier but we had heard they were coming down so we stopped in to see if they were around and sure enough they were. We spent the rest of the afternoon at their place and they both nurtured me with tea, fresh grapefruit juice from their garden and much more. We shared some really nice steaks we had gotten from a local butcher earlier that day. That night we camped on the beach near their place. The next morning we saw Richard on the beach in his FJ55 Cruiser so I had to get a pic of the two Cruisers together. See below. He invited us over again and gave us more love. At this point we headed into Loreto to do some laundry, stock up and decide on our next move. I was still sick so we decided to head for the US. We pushed hard for San Felipe but spent the night about 70 miles south of there. That night was the worst for me, I got no sleep, threw up a lot and had god awful diarrhea which was now black and I thought I saw some blood in my barf. Gross I know. The next morning I bee-lined it for San Felipe and went straight to a doctor. He put me on an IV as I was going down fast. He also gave me acupuncture, both made me feel better. He prescribed some meds and said I had an "amoeba" which I took as a parasite. I got the prescripts and we headed straight for the US.

After all this I came straight home and only just got in tonight at about 8pm, it took me 2.5 days to get home as I took my time and stayed in motels but it still was one of the hardest drives I have ever done being so sick.

So that is about it folks, I am home and deathly ill. I feel ok and have not thrown up in 3 days but still have bad diarrhea which is black which means I have internal bleeding and feel weak. I have a buddy who is a surgeon so as soon as I hit the US I called him. He thinks I have a toxic e-coli. Tomorrow first thing I am calling my doc and going to begin to work on getting better.

Unfortunately it turned into the worst trip yet for me. If you have followed my posts or previous trips you know I have spent much time in Latin America living out of my truck. In 10yrs of traveling I have never gotten sick and have always ate everything. I guess I was due. Every trip for me is a learning experience and I always take something from each trip to expand my life. This trip was no different in that regard. I left a lot out to try and keep this short(er) but the above sums it up fairly well.

Main lesson learned for me was don't leave town without my med kit. Meaning the meds I always get that are prescribed by my travel doctor. Being in a hurry to prepare the truck and leave and with the holidays I was unable to get in and see him. His assistant did prescribe me what I needed over the phone last minute but the crunch to prepare the truck and me feeling over confident that I was only going to Baja I skipped out on picking up the meds. Had I not done that I would have had antibiotics on hand for the dog bite as well as cipro for the internal chaos. Both I think would have kept me in good health and not required visits to the docs down there plus not cut the trip short.

So now on with the pics! I didn't take many so don't expect to much.

Climbed the Cruiser up a mountain above Pescadero. Pretty decent 4wd to get up there, only dirt bikes had been up it for some time. We met a gringo up there on a hike who lives close by and he couldn't believe we had driven up here. Hail the mighty Cruiser!!

905907_10200225935609015_488175158479332039_o.jpg

Some tiny waves north of 9 Palms on the East Cape.

10931561_10200225937129053_5004048695413203246_o.jpg

and my super awesome Cruiser

10945465_10200225938969099_430146161547792267_o.jpg

doing it right on the beach

10865863_10200225941569164_1956904988331042780_o.jpg

the infamous selfie :rolleyes:

10259844_10200225943209205_6783449437027339036_n.jpg

our camp at Cabo Pulmo, don't try to get here without 4wd.

10620248_10200225944969249_382380715282659200_o.jpg

another Cruiser shot

10842297_10200225946729293_900500566600550468_o.jpg

this one speaks for it's self

1939514_10200245923788707_5547035248942217734_o.jpg

Alex Olea and us in front of his shop

1501329_10200245928468824_4766282422666663301_o.jpg

Scorpion Bay camp

10847150_10200245981950161_6111863880813752963_o.jpg

and yet another Cruiser pic :sombrero:

10934143_10200245989430348_6519974467541010639_o.jpg

Richards FJ55 and my 80

10960370_10200255070377366_1135727712401115858_o.jpg

10353243_10200255070817377_6640276009822398075_o.jpg

Loreto area

10835399_10200255073257438_6442131158206781274_o.jpg

I didn't mention it above but I received a counterfeit $20 in SoCal at an AmPm

10960339_10200260614995978_3145569460042918361_o.jpg

I like my scan gauge

10497498_10200261309173332_7516274096491829327_o.jpg

My 12.5yr old Shiba Inu happy to be in a hotel bed

10344129_10200261775064979_1994514502521858786_o.jpg

I may have a few more pics on my iPhone but that is about it for now.

Cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
:cool:

Jealous of your trip!

Thanks Kurt! I will get with you before to long concerning rear springs.

I edited the post above a bit (and will probably a bit more) to include more. Besides getting sick it was a fantastic trip albeit short. For me it was a great shake down run on the Cruiser. Meaning now I can do some more work/upgrades for a bigger-longer trip. I was super happy with the truck for the whole trip, 3500 miles of it. It never let me down and I pushed it hard. Only repair on the road was the spring change out early on. Impressive in my book and a big confidence booster in my skills, ability and work. The truck and work before the trip had zero test time. I literally dropped it off jack stands, loaded it and drove out of town. The old Chevy 5.7L also only burned 1/2 or less of a quart on the entire trip. Not bad considering it's age and how hard I ran it.

Got some things I certainly want to do to the truck now but they are all really minor. I feel like the truck has finally come around for me and is to a level I want and am happy with. I didn't finish off posts and pics of the build before I left as I was pressed for time but will post more on that soon now that things are done and gear tested. All in all I also really like how I set it up, very easy to live out of it now for extended periods of time and she is a beast both on and off road. The pic above on top of the mountain was a 3-4ft. ledge to get up on the trail, locked it down and second try and line up on the ledge and it went right up, all 6500lbs+ of it. I didn't even air down. Heading home yesterday, I was doing 80mph on the freeway with one finger on the wheel, it tracks and drives that well now.

I am sold on the 80 now big time and keeping it for many years.

I had more black diarrhea last night and didn't get much sleep. So first thing this morning I called my travel doc who said I needed to go straight to the emergency room at the hospital to get some blood work done and check me for internal bleeding. I will admit I was a bit freaked out this morning. Kind of been like that the last week, up and down both health wise and mentally. They put me on an IV and did what was required. I weighed myself in a bathroom on the road yesterday and am only down about 5lbs after being sick nearly a week, not bad. Hospital gave me a good bill of health, canceled my Mexico meds and put me on some cipro for the next 12 days. I went to the health food store after that and dropped $200 on re-charge and good whole some foods.

Today is all about relaxing and catching up on sleep.

Cheers

Mathias77

My 12.5yr old Shiba Inu happy to be in a hotel bed

10344129_10200261775064979_1994514502521858786_o.jpg

I may have a few more pics on my iPhone but that is about it for now.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Most people think Malamutes are like wolfs, all wild and must be kept outdoors!!! If they only knew how much a Malamute appreciate a comfy bed ;-)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing your trip

Rear springs info - I ran 864 on a previous LC with a travel weight of ~7000# and road very nice. They are shorter than 863J and required a spacer but I was able to get full articulation out of the rear with the set up.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing your trip

Rear springs info - I ran 864 on a previous LC with a travel weight of ~7000# and road very nice. They are shorter than 863J and required a spacer but I was able to get full articulation out of the rear with the set up.

Thanks and appreciate the info. My front is about 4" of lift and I like it a lot, consider it done now and not wanting to mess with it much more. Just wanting to dial in the rear. Before doing anything I was at 1.3* from level front to back and liked this a lot. No noticeable stink bug, ect ect. I check it last night before unloading much gear and it is at about .7*. Undecided at the moment on rear coils, may just do air bags. My buddy Krazytoy had air bags in his 80 in the back and it was nice so I may go that route. In no hurry because unloaded it is just fine. Other option would simply be to change out the rear shocks but I like the 12" Fox and my goal is to keep them. Not going to be stubborn about that though and if that is the best solution for me that is what I will do.

I had another overland truck bult to the hlt, my 04 Taco. Airbags when dealing with weights is kind of the way to go. You run around and DD the truck unloaded at upwards of 1,000lbs lighter than loaded for a trip. So trying to get it dialed for a 1,000lbs weight difference may not even be possible and the best route may simply be air bags in the rear. Also when I say I bottomed out, I am talking shocks only, they bottom out before bumps in the rear and I would have to lower the bumps way to much to make it work right plus then I would be smacking on the bumps more than I like.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I've been drinking that for a while now. A bit of a marketing ploy, but being a 'Maiden fan, I fall for it regularly!

It is a good beer, I saw it and grew up listen to them way back in the day so just had to have it. Don't need or even want to drink it all the time but the bottle had to come home with me. :)

Cheers

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Thanks and appreciate the info. My front is about 4" of lift and I like it a lot, consider it done now and not wanting to mess with it much more. Just wanting to dial in the rear. Before doing anything I was at 1.3* from level front to back and liked this a lot. No noticeable stink bug, ect ect. I check it last night before unloading much gear and it is at about .7*. Undecided at the moment on rear coils, may just do air bags. My buddy Krazytoy had air bags in his 80 in the back and it was nice so I may go that route. In no hurry because unloaded it is just fine. Other option would simply be to change out the rear shocks but I like the 12" Fox and my goal is to keep them. Not going to be stubborn about that though and if that is the best solution for me that is what I will do.

I had another overland truck bult to the hlt, my 04 Taco. Airbags when dealing with weights is kind of the way to go. You run around and DD the truck unloaded at upwards of 1,000lbs lighter than loaded for a trip. So trying to get it dialed for a 1,000lbs weight difference may not even be possible and the best route may simply be air bags in the rear. Also when I say I bottomed out, I am talking shocks only, they bottom out before bumps in the rear and I would have to lower the bumps way to much to make it work right plus then I would be smacking on the bumps more than I like.

Cheers

I think there are a lot of us that have the same problem of ride height when loaded and unloaded. I know I still do. The air bags can cause limits on your articulation but when traveling seeking adventure maximum articulation is normally not needed. I will look forward to your fix.

Also kudos to you for your truck working so well for with all that was done hours before you departed.:wings:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I think there are a lot of us that have the same problem of ride height when loaded and unloaded. I know I still do. The air bags can cause limits on your articulation but when traveling seeking adventure maximum articulation is normally not needed. I will look forward to your fix.

Also kudos to you for your truck working so well for with all that was done hours before you departed.:wings:

Thanks Phil, appreciate it.

I wanted to wait to see how this one played out before I reported on it more. The FrontRunner grill kind of let me down on the trip. It came with a sharp edge all the way around the outside edge. I didn't take the time to grind it down before I left. This sharp edge started cutting the straps on the Howling Moon trash bag, to stop that we had to always keep a close eye on the trash bag and how it was mounted. The next thing was one of the legs busted off so we had to improvise with a rock. I sent FrontRunner an email explaining the issues. Well, they sent me a brand new grill, no questions asked and no cost to me. Now that is some excellent customer service! I am happy and will buy from them again.

Take note vendors, in a situation like this, you can lose or retain a customer. ;)

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So the Cruiser got more filthy on this trip than any other trip I have taken in any truck. Not sure why exactly but it did. I have taken the last week to heal up and recover and have only driven the truck once or twice. A 2-liter of Coke busted open inside my storage chest and leaked all over the carpet, under the platform. My co-pilot was drinking beer 24/7 and he just tossed his empty cans behind the seats. Well, now I have stinky beer on the carpet back here too. Sand clinged to the dried up coke a lot. Fridge got messy 3x on the trip, busted eggs mostly but right now it stinks like bad meat and needs a complete cleaning. Co-pilot was big on eating sunflower seads and I noticed there is a lot of shells way up under the passenger seat. Yesterday driving the truck, I noticed there is dog barf on the back seat and carpet. Co-pilot spilled coffee on the dash, door panel and seat. Coming home up the road through CoCo's it had just rained a lot the day before. Lot's and lot's of mud. Whole truck is filthy on the outside from this. I even washed it in Baja once to get off the salt but it doesn't look like it.

None of it is really a big deal but I am going to have to strip the truck down and give it the biggest cleaning it has ever had. Carpet needs to come out even. Starting on this today.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Gave the truck a good solid wash today, now just for the interior. Unfortunately the boiler in the shop is giving me some dramas and not firing so cold in the shop right now which means I am in no hurry to get out there and work. That should be fixed early next week though, tech showing up to service the boiler.

I will finish off my pics and info on the overland build. Picking this up where I left off before I went to Baja.

So the Cruiser is at 1.1* from level when basically not loaded. IE, no passenger, no dog, no water, no gear, no food, and no extra fuel. Just 1/2 tank in the fuel tank. Now if I can only get it to sit like this loaded!

10989144_10200282344619205_7468034311775078108_n.jpg

Here is more on the platform in the back. Eventually I will carpet itbut not until I am 100% satisfied with it and don't want to make any mods to it.

10959373_10200282344859211_6751549574933035689_n.jpg

Easy access and right now just some spare parts, tools, fluids and my high lift inside it.

10690154_10200282345379224_4987534514318720146_n.jpg

I left access holes here and there on it on purpose. Works nice to stuff items in there or reach up in and grab something when things are stacked on top of it.

10982355_10200282386340248_466273798356596233_n.jpg

10994255_10200282386980264_1862505655280949201_n.jpg

High lift is just how I like it and out of my way. I can also reach in from the back along side the high lift to stuff things in there or pull something out without needing to open the chest.

10978702_10200282387820285_8596050723465826952_n.jpg

tailgate up

1507985_10200282388980314_3669203488314963474_n.jpg

tailgate down

10393944_10200282389500327_8889737422006356755_n.jpg

shelf pulled out, hardly used it in Baja. Braven bluetooth/iPod player on the shelf. I can run that off power ports or off my solar panel.

10929915_10200282389820335_6040390093002169439_n.jpg

back of chest open, obviously it is split into two parts lid wise.

10404286_10200282390300347_4364273593134466386_n.jpg

This simple piece of scrap wood is all I need to keep it open. Works perfect.

1504523_10200282390500352_1530205055166523854_n.jpg

Cig lighter and USB power ports. Switch on right is for the Vision X camp light.

10981695_10200282390980364_2616559762172687006_n.jpg

Baja Designs camp lighting, the mounts allow them to be swiveled around. For now I will leave them as is.

983849_10200282391220370_8997981226508117495_n.jpg

Vision X LED mounted on the Quickfist.

10888389_10200282391660381_5722417237185631511_n.jpg

Works perfect in a variety of locations

10269522_10200282391860386_8669118025400941729_n.jpg

10968475_10200282392140393_8980242873888503512_n.jpg

10421477_10200282392540403_4130876213138902183_n.jpg

10565234_10200282392860411_4961642698010761139_n.jpg

The mass of wiring headed to the back of the truck where both batteries are located

10989301_10200282393300422_3278211599112696685_n.jpg

10968318_10200282393460426_8609911755695947450_n.jpg

Yup this is a mess! I did it fast though before the trip. Will go through it all and clean up. Odyssey 1700 for main and 1200 for aux.

1507985_10200282393700432_1063531155275610936_n.jpg

TBC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism