Roll cages, your views

afirover

yes we did let me look and find some pics the only body mounts are the set through the "wheel well " the rest go to out rigers or the bulk head up front

ps we have made some changes to the cage since I'll get some up dates pics and post up

gordo

Michele said:
Yup,but it'd never make sense to weld those things,they look hopeless...
This is something I really can't understand,I mean you sell a nice,well made product (the cage,at least I hope it'll turn out fine once built) and you fall on such little details...?!?

I guess too I'll ask the fabricator to add a sleeve to my new mounts,and to modify my custom made sliders as they'll fit no more after the mounts will be in place...argh!

It's never over!

Isnt that the truth Michele! One mod always leads to another. Cant wait to see the finished product. AFI your cage looks very stout! I was following PT's post on Pirate about the chop, looks like it is coming along. Gordo

revor

Explorer
Must...resist... Must... Fight...the urges...

:lurk:

We'll just watch as you go deeper and deeper under the spell of this silly English 4x4! (I can only say that because I have 5 of them and working on 6)
:sombrero:

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
I just saw this thread, and since I went through this exact thought process recently, I'll offer my solution. I ended up doing a "hybrid" cage, part exo, part internal. I think I ended up with the best of both worlds: external protection in case of a flop and while retaining interior space. Here are a few pics, durning and after completion:

Cimg3782.jpg

Tied into rocker replacements as well:

Cimg3788.jpg

Here it is, "finished."

Cimg4334.jpg

The fender flares are also tube and tied into the rockers and frame, very handy to rotate off trees with.

Cimg4188.jpg

Bad pic of the interior, but you get the idea:

Cimg4046.jpg

Still plenty of space to sleep, and fold up the rear seat and there's seating for 5.

Cimg4049.jpg

While it may look like a rock-crawler to some of you, it's daily driven and can cruise at 75+ mph for long distances without loosening fillings. Anyway, hope you find the info and pics helpful.

EDIT: The total weight is 4300 lbs.

-----Matt-----

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
In terms of Rovers or any vehicle that realisticly might go shinny side down, a cage is a perfectly sound idea. Like alot of the things we carry in/on our rigs, we may not need them, but it's sure nice they're there for when we do. Seeing as a how children/friends people are non refurbishable to a certain point, it seems like a no brainer.

Plus, here, on the portal, there are alot of GREAT fab jobs that can give you millions of ideas (which might be a good or a bad thing : ) )

IXNAYXJ said:
Cimg3782.jpg

Tied into rocker replacements as well:

Cimg3788.jpg

Here it is, "finished."

Cimg4334.jpg

The fender flares are also tube and tied into the rockers and frame, very handy to rotate off trees with.

Cimg4188.jpg

Bad pic of the interior, but you get the idea:

Cimg4046.jpg

Still plenty of space to sleep, and fold up the rear seat and there's seating for 5.

Cimg4049.jpg

While it may look like a rock-crawler to some of you, it's daily driven and can cruise at 75+ mph for long distances without loosening fillings. Anyway, hope you find the info and pics helpful.

EDIT: The total weight is 4300 lbs.

-----Matt-----
You have, flat out, my favorite XJ ever. That cage turened out awsome. I love to see just how much more rigid the chasis is with those braces and all...

Cheers

Dave

Michele

Observer
4Rescue said:
I love to see just how much more rigid the chasis is with those braces and all...

My thought exactly.
The cage I bought came with more tube mounts (other that the flimsy things at the front) which bolt to the mid and rear hoops,go trough the wheelarches (big holes) and then the ends are "weld on" (to chassis rails).
I attached two files.

A mate pointed out all this will reduce the chassis ability to flex in some way,and I'd hate to turn my Rover into somewhat stiff like a M1 tank...
I'd like to modify the cage in some way but can't see how...

JohnC

Observer
Chucaro,

I have the SD internal rollcage that goes thru the dash on my DI.

Eventually I'll have it tied into the frame.

Salu,

Giampaulo

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Michele said:
My thought exactly.
The cage I bought came with more tube mounts (other that the flimsy things at the front) which bolt to the mid and rear hoops,go trough the wheelarches (big holes) and then the ends are "weld on" (to chassis rails).
I attached two files.

A mate pointed out all this will reduce the chassis ability to flex in some way,and I'd hate to turn my Rover into somewhat stiff like a M1 tank...
I'd like to modify the cage in some way but can't see how...

Personaly, I WANT my suspension mounted to as rigid a "frame" or base as possible. Chasis flex is good on things like a Fuso with a camper box, but on our small, full body trucks, when you have unibody like the XJ's, all that flex can lead to ill fitting doors and body panels etc. which leads to leaks and other bad things. That's why I love IXNA's cage, and sepescialy the halo and "hidden" in fender bars. It makes the chasis stiffer and stronger. The Halo is just genius and when I first saw it on another Local NW board I was just instantly impressed.

JohnC: Those SD cages look nice. Is it very obtrusive to have in the cabin/passenger compartment? And seriously, mate, I'm impressed with the general muddy state your front seat is in. That flat out screams real use. can't say I've ever seen a Disco (or is it a RRC?) looking like that!!! :safari-rig:

Cheers

Dave.

Last edited:

JohnC

Observer
4Rescue said:
JohnC: Those SD cages look nice. Is it very obtrusive to have in the cabin/passenger compartment? And seriously, mate, I'm impressed with the general muddy state your front seat is in. That flat out screams real use. can't say I've ever seen a Disco (or is it a RRC?) looking like that!!! :safari-rig:

Cheers

Dave.
Dave,

It's not too bad getting in and out. One problem is that you can't move your seats all the way back. The rear is a bit tight getting in and out but my kids don't mind.

It's a 95 DI.

I removed all carpeting and used Herculiner paint on the inside. I even removed the cloth on the headliner and painted it so I can easily wipe off the mud.

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
4Rescue said:
Personaly, I WANT my suspension mounted to as rigid a "frame" or base as possible.
x2. It allows the suspension to work better and improve the life of the body. I have noticed a significant difference in rigidity from a seat-of-the-pants perspective.

And thanks for the compliments!

-----Matt-----

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwralliance