Roof mounted vs freestanding solar panels? Looking for recommendations

JRPR

Just purchased a slide-in camper and am wanting to install solar panels. At this point I'm not sure if I should go with a system mounted on the roof of the camper, or a free-standing unit. Would like to hear people's thoughts about the pros and cons of each.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
if its flat on the roof you want the largest panel you can fit for it to get all the amps possible. With my 365 watt LG neon panel flat on the roof I get about 15 amps in the winter and max out at 27 amps in the summer. With a large panel you just need one, with smaller panels you need several which increases the level of installation. Being permanently attached you never have to deal with it once you install it.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Roof mounted work all the time you park appropriately… storable is one more thing to set up at camp and only work when camping. Your fridge and other stuff draw power all the time, your panels should produce all the time.

JRPR

Roof mounted work all the time you park appropriately… storable is one more thing to set up at camp and only work when camping. Your fridge and other stuff draw power all the time, your panels should produce all the time.
We have two batteries dedicated to the camper and they charge when the engine is running. Would that address the concern about producing energy all the time?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I went with a free-standing panel that I mount on the roof!

AM-JKLVJyM75LYS_oqPjuKPlk8CXJbKPBqF5P-r946b2LetXnwVVzO60qSdJ-bIGtgS1QqNx45gVpw_CBpxapLFyxucUywkHQ8dXC_83AuNo7DQiviwDIH1ezA5PUEJHXiHDcBz7dfRH9liJrigiXJrePguQgA=w600

The panel slides into a locking rack - it's up there and working all the time. If/when I need to park someplace without good sun access, the panel slides out and I can put it wherever I like.

JRPR

I went with a free-standing panel that I mount on the roof!

AM-JKLVJyM75LYS_oqPjuKPlk8CXJbKPBqF5P-r946b2LetXnwVVzO60qSdJ-bIGtgS1QqNx45gVpw_CBpxapLFyxucUywkHQ8dXC_83AuNo7DQiviwDIH1ezA5PUEJHXiHDcBz7dfRH9liJrigiXJrePguQgA=w600

The panel slides into a locking rack - it's up there and working all the time. If/when I need to park someplace without good sun access, the panel slides out and I can put it wherever I like.
The best of both worlds!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
We have two batteries dedicated to the camper and they charge when the engine is running. Would that address the concern about producing energy all the time?

You are the only one who can answer your question there, and possibly only with experience.

Extra batteries only allow more storage. They don’t increase the rate of power production or reduce the rate of consumption.

You need to think about how long you will be parked, at what consumption rate, and then how often and how long you will drive, at what production rate.

For many people, the parked assumption is “forever” so the solar is sized to overcome consumption rate each day, and battery sizes allow for the number of days of sun impairment before you have to charge from a running engine. There are threads on here that go deep down that particular rabbit hole.

I would take a more practical approach. Buy as much solar as you can reasonably afford and fit on the roof plus a few portable panels. Adjust parking and driving habits as needed, consider changes after a year.

ThePartyWagon

I would prefer a portable panel but it will eventually get stolen the way I want to use it.

I will hard mount one on the roof so it will be more difficult to steal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3