Roof Top Tents? Which one?

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Just my tuppence worth...

If you have limited resources your money may be better spent on a quality ground tent that pitches quickly. It will still be used by you or as a guest tent even when you're the proud owner of a high end RTT somewhere down the line.

I don't question your motives for wanting a RTT. I want one, normally once or twice a day when I'm camping and I pitch the tent, strike the tent, pitch the tent, strike the tent, ad-nauseum. But despite my whinging I can pitch a somewhat awkward five pole North Face mountaineering tent in 5-10 minutes in the dark. All the bedding is in one bag I can find easily.

Take a look at Springbar tents which are made in the USA. The two person tent is $260 and has a lifetime warranty.

Cheers,
Graham

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
grahamfitter said:
...Take a look at Springbar tents which are made in the USA. The two person tent is $260 and has a lifetime warranty....

Partial hijack, excellent tents for sure, and an excellent company backing them up. The owner has a nice 80 Series LC that we just fixed up for him. When he told me he had been wheeling in a stock Cruiser I thought, sure this guy takes it down some dirt roads now and then... the thing showed up and much to my surprise that thing gets USED! Bumpers dented, steps crunched... this guy uses his stuff :D Oh, yeah, ExPo'er Moody used to work there, he likely knows all the selling points of the SpringBars

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
If the Ezi Awn is anything like the hannibal than it's a good tent. I have a Hannibal 1.2m I bought for $300 and then spent a whole week refurbishing it. I rebuilt the floor, made a new cover, waterproofed the canvas, added some tricks and its great. I love it.

Aaron

LUISJG

Explorer
ezzi awn itself is a copy of anothere one.,hanibal is a copy of anothere one,arb is a copy of another one ,cartoptent is a copy of anothere one. etc,etc,

I think its foolish to continue this argument.

now to the original post..
buy what you can afford, if you ca ngo with the eezi awn ,yes go with it.
but if you cant , the new cartoptent its a nice tent. and will last you probably for ever also.

I tell you what ,I have all 3 in question. they do the job just fine, but in cold weather I rather be in the ezzi. and in summer I rather be in the cartoptent old or new.

burke

Observer
I just bought a springbar. Got the vagabond 4 and absolutely love it! I can actually stand up to change clothes (i hate sitting on my butt trying to change) it's a breeze to set up and seems extremely well built.

TheRoadie

Explorer
grahamfitter said:
Take a look at Springbar tents which are made in the USA.
Oh, what a hoot! That design is a copy of the Coleman Classic that I bought in 1973. I sold it 15 years later, and regretted it ever since. Only Coleman Australia still sells anything like it.

Tell me this isn't the Springbar design:

classic%204.jpg

hoser

Explorer
Yes, it does look very similiar. Consider yourself lucky now that you can "buy back" the same tent you had in 1973!

Moody

Needs to get out more
TheRoadie said:
Oh, what a hoot! That design is a copy of the Coleman Classic that I bought in 1973. I sold it 15 years later, and regretted it ever since. Only Coleman Australia still sells anything like it.

Tell me this isn't the Springbar design:

classic%204.jpg
They were making Springbars before 73. They are a local company...

JohnD

how about this!

I too have been looking for a RTT and came across this:

Pic:
technitop120800mx7.jpg

technitop5vv2.jpg

Its a techni-Top tent offered by Sleeoffroad. Has anyone had any exp. with these? They look well made and that hard cover I lke alot. thanks for any advise good or bad.

JohnD

Roemer1

Observer
Give Todd at Racktent.com a call and ask him about the quality and warranty of his tents.
I think they all have a place in the market, and the Roof Top is one of the best values out there for the money.
Just because the material may cost less doesn't mean that they are not up to the task. There are some aspects of the Roof Top that are covered in the Racktent.com comparison that go a long way to show it will out perform other tents in terms of durability and longevity.

my .02

Britt

kcowyo

ExPo Original
JohnD said:
Its a techni-Top tent offered by Sleeoffroad. Has anyone had any exp. with these?

The Techni-Top was the editor's choice of the RTT comparo in the premier issue of the Overland Journal. They had great things to say about it, especially if there are two people travelling together.

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
Are any of these roof top tents any good in a wind? I didn't see anyone ask that question. I bought a similar ground tent for camping on the beach with my family, and it wanted to blow down. I went back to dome tents. I need a RTT that can handle constant winds such as in beach camping.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
here's a few other manufacturers.......in venezuela......yep copies of copies and copies, BUT WHO COPIED WHO......

All with a few diferent quirks, no one imports them here,

I have an aluminum base Mare, but the material after 4 years is comming apart.

http://www.mare.com.ve/carpas.htm

http://camper4x4.cjb.net/

http://www.carpasanaconda.com/index.htm

http://carpasdetecho.com/caracteristicas.htm

OZ

http://www.dingodoza.com.au/photo.html

So I have an excellent full aluminum base which will last me years.....as its full welded construction.

But need to replace the roof part.....I've asked the US suppliers if any of them will sell me a new top.....the answer is no.

The manufacturer in venolandia never even bothered to reply to my e-mail.....

no surprise there.....

So anyone have a spare good roof to sell and a busted base ?

As far as design goes......I have a few things that I'd change even with the easiiawn,

as they all suffer from blown rain from the sides, so side panels would be a good addition.

They all suffer from pooling water on the front and rear awning, so i'd add a pole down the middle arched so the rain rolls off.

rain in latin america is almost always accompanyed by heat,,,so closing your self in just means you get wet from sweat...rather than rain.

cpg

Adventurer
LC/LR4Life said:
Are any of these roof top tents any good in a wind? I didn't see anyone ask that question. I bought a similar ground tent for camping on the beach with my family, and it wanted to blow down. I went back to dome tents. I need a RTT that can handle constant winds such as in beach camping.

A columbus pointed into the wind has to be one of the best tents for high wind conditions. It is also the most aerodynamic while driving.
The 1st picture was in some major wind.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Anyone have the dimensions (specifically width) in inches for a EA 1800?

I have my Willy's up for sale to make a purchase, narrowed down to the AutoHome medium or large and EA 1800. I want something at least queen size.

Can anyone speak on the comparison of the mattress between the two brands?

I also like the AH's being deeper by 1'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother