RTT hanging off back of rack?

I'm having a custom roof rack for my 100 series LC built. I found a RTT I want,but it will hang of the rear of the roof rack by about 4". Is this a problem I need to worry about? Or should I contact the rack builder and ask him to modify the rack to fit?

Box Rocket

Can you share what kind of RTT you'll be using? I'm thinking through most of the brands I'm familiar with and I can't see this being an issue.

lugueto

Adventurer
I do it, mine hangs off the rear of the rack maybe 3-4", no problem so far.

I've seen vehicles with tents hanging more than that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't see it being an issue, I certainly havent had one.

Box Rocket

Not the best photo, but this is a Tepui Ruggedized XL mounted to my trailer. The rack the tent is mounted to is quite a bit smaller than the base of the tent and the tent hangs off each end by several inches. I've been using it this way for a few years now with no issues.

brentbba

Explorer
No pic, but similar to Box Rocket. My Eezi Awn hangs off the sides and ends of the Thule bars mounted on my trailer. No issues in over two years this way. In fact the base is supported by only three cross bars so I'd think if you've got a good platform on your roof rack, you'd be more stable than either of us on the trailers. FYI - RTT weighs in at over 200 lbs for reference sake.

Congrats on the purchase! Pics are now necessary!!! Are you coming to AAV's DRV at the end of February?

Thanks. I am, but my I'm not sure my roof rack will have been delivered by then. If I have time, I plan on making a set of rails for my trailer to temp mount the tent on. If I don't have time, I guess I'll bust out my Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent and pray it isn't warm.

brentbba

Explorer
I'll take warm, cold or anywhere in between. I just don't want the howling winds that are so common! You'll at least have the trailer I presume.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3