RTT Layout Choices

dpike

hi, i'm looking for a some input on the different layout choices of some common hardshell roof top tents.
as far as convenience i can see how a clamshell or popup would be a nice choice, but a fold out clamshell having the larger sleep area and the possibility of an anex room below seems most versatile, but surely i'm missing something...

what makes some layouts preferred over other ?

ChasingOurTrunks

Great question and I look forward to the discussion. To my knowledge there are four ”Floorplans” of Rooftent on the market:

1) Wedge Hardshell. See Bush Company Alpha, Alucab Expedition 3. Typically these can only be mounted front to back on a car roof, and can only sleep two people.

2) Full pop top Hardshell - These are very similar to the category 1 tent, but they lift up at both ends. I only know of a few Fiberglass options; some would argue these shouldn’t be excluded from the above wedge design category since they are essentially an identical floor plan, they just lift at both ends. However, this also gives you more foot/head room, which some folks may need. Like the first category, these are typically only mounted front to back and can only sleep two adults. Again, typically no annex attached. On the other hand, the wedge design provides you with some handy interior storage on the slope of the roof (See the Expedition 3 interiors — they have plenty of places to put things and pockets in the roof panel) which is not available on the full pop top.

The advantages to both of the above are pretty similar — they tend to be super fast to put up and stow. They tend to be more durable than a comparable tent in the below categories. And with the aluminum offerings, they have robust mountings for things like awnings and ladders.

The disadvantages are that the floor plan is really limited. It’s basically a 2-adult tent no matter what; because they are a fixed length, you can typically only mount them lengthwise, and so they are limited by the width of the vehicle. Sure, you can have them overhang a bit — but too much and it looks pretty goofy, like a rig is wearing a wide-brimmed hat while driving down the road, and and if it sticks out too far it greatly increases the chances of hitting stuff. That brings us to the other designs:

3) Clamshell Fabric tent - These are the “typical” RTTs with a fabric cover. They fold out like a clam and support poles automatically lift to raise the fabric roof of the tent. They can be mounted either opening towards the back of a vehicle, or opening towards the side. This is preferable for some rigs — perhaps you have a 270 awning, so 3 of the 4 sides of your rig are unsuitable for a door; a tent that can be mounted to open sideways may be your only option. The other advantage is that you can get a variety of sizes, from two person lightweight roof tents to behemoth tents that can sleep 4. These also lend themselves well to annexes.

The biggest advantage to this category is the versatility, as I’ve spoken about. But they tend to be lighter weight materials and more prone to wearing out. They are also the slowest to setup and take down - there’s plenty of poles to put in, and putting it away means lots of tucking, zipping, and messing about on the top of a vehicle to get it stowed. Plus, there is a temptation to go cheap on a RTT like this, but you do tend to get what you pay for. However going for a better brand will cost enough money to make it worth looking at the next category....

4) Hybrid Hardshell Clamshell - The only one I know of that fits this category is the iKamper tent. Unlike the traditional roof tent, the iKamper Skycamp can sleep up to 4. These have all of the quick setup advantages of the hardshell wedge and pop tops, but they provide the floor plan versatility of the clamshells As well as the option for an awning.

My current tent is a category 3; my next will be a category 4.

I think that sums up the general designs — I’m sure there’s some I’ve forgotten though. If others have advantages or disadvantages to include, feel free!

dpike

great summary. i appreciate the well thought out response.
using you as en example then...
what makes you think (based on your numbers) that a category 4 RTT is what will suit you best ? why isn't the cat 3 currently meeting your needs ?

another "disadvantage" of the ikamper types is that you need real estate beyond your own footprint to set up. is this actually ever a problem or is that WAYYY over thinking it ?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
what makes you think (based on your numbers) that a category 4 RTT is what will suit you best ? why isn't the cat 3 currently meeting your needs ?

another "disadvantage" of the ikamper types is that you need real estate beyond your own footprint to set up. is this actually ever a problem or is that WAYYY over thinking it ?

It is both overthinking and unpreventable. No matter how you orient your tent, you will someday find and prefer to stay at the one place where that orientation conflicts with trees, trail layout, cliff, river, snowbank, alligator pit, etc...

I have always had the soft shell folders. I prefer them for the space inside and the smaller footprint on the rack. I have had every orientation over time, left, right, front, back, and by far preferred opening over the back. It is relatively easy to find a space to back into, and even in developed campgrounds with defined parking areas you can back up against the logs or bumpers or whatever and open your tent, then the tent creates a rear overhang at the tailgate nicely.

My latest tent is too wide for this, and I will be forced to choose a side. I’m choosing open to the passenger side so I can set it up at the curb In front of my house for cleaning and maintenance.

There are several threads with the pros and cons of different positions to open a tent. Have you searched the forum yet?

dpike

It is both overthinking and unpreventable.

There are several threads with the pros and cons of different positions to open a tent. Have you searched the forum yet?

thank you, very true.

the opening position i haven't even gotten to yet... i'm still looking at the opening style :unsure: altho i am clearly leaning towards a hardshell folder type (opening on passenger) but just trying to explore the pros and cons of what i may not even be aware of associated with the different styles.

We got the Tepui Autana 3 with the lower vestibule. In the 3 years we've had the tent, we've never used the vestibule on any of our trips.

You also need to consider what type of camping/overlanding you do. We do a trip every Memorial Day weekend, but we stay at the same place, but we'll do one day in town. It can be tiring if you have a base camp but you have to set up and break down your tent every day because you're going somewhere.

ChasingOurTrunks

Thanks for the kind words! For us, there’s a few reasons to lean towards the iKamper.

First is the size - we are a three person, two dog family and so we need the real estate in a tent. That rules out all of the first two categories of tent, even though as a couple we would have been VERY well served by something like the Alucab (and if I was building a solo rig on a wagon platform, that’s the one I’d get).

Second, the reason for the iKamper over the clamshells it’s the fiddlyness of setup and take down. I’m leaning to the iKamper Because it seems much less messing about to close it. I don’t even mind the time, but we’ve camped in all conditions and my partner is usually in charge of stowing the tent. She’s very acrobatic, but on rainy or snowy days, crawling all over the rig to tuck a piece here, zip a piece there, and so on is asking for trouble. One false step or slip and it’s a potentially bad situation. I’d want to test the iKamper to see how easy it is to stow before dropping the money though; I think it solves this problem but I won’t be 100% sure till I try it out.

The footprint question is a good one. I actually preferred our Tepui which we had set to open to the back of the rig, over our current tent, which we have to set up opening to the side; it really doesn’t fit on top of our mid size rig with a rear opening configuration. I’ve never had problems with the rear opening configuration in terms of space on the ground. Generally if you can open a swing out tire carrier where you park, you can fold out an RTT to the back of the rig. Opening sideways has rarely been a problem — it’s just an extra moment before parking to remember to give some extra space on the tent opening side. So, it’s an awareness thing, but not a deal breaker for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk