RTT on trailer and changeing room

huskyfargo

Adventurer
HuskyFargo could you please give me the height of your mounting bars? My trailer looks to be close to the height of yours. I could definitely work with that setup!

XJINTX, my mounting bars are at 62" over the center of the wheels.

tdittyrocks

Observer
tdittyrocks - what kind of extension lift is that? Details please. Right now on my CDN M101 my Thule bars sit 60" off the ground. Just not high enough for an ARB Simpson III or similar knockoff. Trailer tents from Ezi Awn or Howling Moon are just outrageously expensive new and rarely come up for sale used.

This is my own design. The lift mechinism if a scissor jack. I raise and lower it using cordless impact wrench instead of the hand crank that came with the scissor jack. When I want to lift the RTT I pull two pins (one on each side of the trailer) that free up a slider bar. I then raise the system with the scissor jack. Once raised, I replace the two pins to lock the sytem in place. In each corner of the lift i have two control arms that lay flat while in the lowerwed position and pivot into a vertical position when the system is raised. Here are some pictures that may help. The system can be raised in a matter of seconds with the cordless impact wrench. The system is also attached to the lid with the hinge of the RTT on the same side as the trailer lid so that opening the lid isn't a problem if the RTT is deployed.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 164

Hondok9

Send It!
Finally

I've been waiting/looking for something like this(while trying to come up with something on my own). I have the skills/tools to build this. I just have one question. Does it rattle while going down a rough dirt road? And how is the stability when raised? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tdittyrocks

Observer
I've been waiting/looking for something like this(while trying to come up with something on my own). I have the skills/tools to build this. I just have one question. Does it rattle while going down a rough dirt road? And how is the stability when raised? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

That is an old design. I have since built a new lift, but to answer your question, it was quiet and there wasn't any movement in the structure when at full height. I have built another lift that is based off that design, but uses 12 actuators and gas struts.

gsdog2

Observer
I just checked my new CVT annex room on my truck bed trailer. They have Velcro on the inside to take up slack for shorter applications. Looks to be the perfect length. I didn't know if it would work or not, but I guess I lucked out. Will be better if I could tack it all down, but this is just in the driveway.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Box Rocket

I rebuilt my RTT mounting rack on my trailer to accommodate the annex. I'm using gas struts to raise the platform up to the right height for the annex, but keep in in the low position for travel.

pics:

Box Rocket

Adam,

How is it getting it back down?

Not bad. With properly charged struts you can match the weight well. It's a little tricky to put it down with one person, but can be done. If I'm alone I close up the tent and climb on top and it goes down easy. With two people its a cinch. There is a handle on each side and two people can pull it back to the lower position easily.

Cowboy59

Observer
I did what Box Rocket did but my struts are inside the tubing. I have to use a ratchet strap on the front and rear to get it down for now...still working on a simpler solution.
IMG_1289.jpg

DrMoab

Explorer
When I bought my trailer people made a lot of fun of me for having the Thule truck racks but it's worked awesome.

How it was when I bought it.

With the tent and annex up.

9uzu7yqe.jpg

Stored at travel height.
ma2yguda.jpg

Sorry for the phone pics.

DrMoab

Explorer
Curious about the strength of your struts too. I went with 4 70# struts and I still have to push pretty hard to get it open. I can however do it by myself which was impossible before.

brentbba

Explorer
No pics, but finally found a 'reasonably priced' used Globetrotter for my M101CDN. Love it. Got a personal lesson from Paul May himself at Mountain Rendezvous last fall on folding the tent in with the annex on. Perfect! Now all I do is roll in, fold the tent out, annex drops to the ground, stake it down and I'm done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal