RTT vs Ground Tent to outfit your Expedition Trailer

STREGA

Explorer
How many people have been attacked or mauled sleeping in a RTT that you've heard about?

How many people have been attacked or mauled in a ground tent that you've heard about?

I'm sure there's no exact numbers...but I don't ever remember hearing of anyone attacked in a RTT (but it doesn't mean it hasn't). I do remember reading about a bear going in a ground tent and hauling the occupant(s) out and eating or munching on them. I sleep 7' off the ground, in total confidence.

Never have heard of anyone being attacked/mauled in a RTT, saw a video once of a elephant destroyong a RTT in Africa, I don't think anyone was in it at the time though.

I had a friend in elementary school who's sister was killed in a Grizzly bear attack when camping in a tent at Glacier NP, this was back in the 60's which really dates me and left a indelible image/fear of being mauled by a grizzly bear.

It would be my guess that one reason you haven't heard about bear attacks with a RTT is the fact that the number of RTT's out there is very small compared to ground tents. I always have people asking question about the RTT, most commenting "that they have never seen anything like it before" or others driving by and taking pictures of it.

The thing that I do like about the RTT is being up high, if I was to be in a bear attack I would rather have the high ground advantage.

Zubicon

Adventurer
How many people have been attacked or mauled sleeping in a RTT that you've heard about?

How many people have been attacked or mauled in a ground tent that you've heard about?

I'm sure there's no exact numbers...but I don't ever remember hearing of anyone attacked in a RTT (but it doesn't mean it hasn't). I do remember reading about a bear going in a ground tent and hauling the occupant(s) out and eating or munching on them. I sleep 7' off the ground, in total confidence.

Are you serious, I don't want to insult anyones opinion or experiences but you must of never been in close proximity of bears. If you think that being 7 foot off the ground is going to make you safer you are seriously delusional. To answer your first question, last year a place I frequent often a boy was killed in a tent. Just a few short years ago, a place I frequent even more a girl was pulled out of a pickups camper shell, through the window, sleeping bag and all, then mauled. Where I was raised I clearly recall an incident where a boy was dragged out of a two room cabin after the bear came through a window. My bud has 400 acres as well adjacent to Glacier National Park and until he modified his cabin, it was broke into multiple times and ransacked by a Grizzley. You thing that RTT at 7" off the ground offers more protection than that? That was a retorical question, because I don't want to start an arguement and only want to keep this thread in a reality check.

Zubicon

Adventurer
All this talk of bears mauling makes me not to want to camp at all. I have seen what they can do to a car when they want to get in. NO tent ground or RTT or Teardrop will be better than another in that situation, only smart responsible campsite maintanance can help keep the Bears away in the first place.

Precisley, cook at least 100 yards from your sleeping site.........something that RTT users most likely will not do. Nothing what so ever in the form of food inside your sleeping quarters and don't even thing about setting up camp anywhere that you see the signs of recent bear presence. I was going from Marble Colorado to Buena Vista via all trails one year, I can't recall the exact trail but there were darn near a dozen trees tore up by bear claws probably in a distance of only 100 yards. That was right ********** where we ere intended on camping. The claw marks were far higher off the ground then me and I'm 6'3". To big of a bear for me to mess with.

Zubicon

Adventurer
Forgive this wannabe like y'all question but, what are the drawbacks to using a ground tent on a rooftop/trailer top platform besides securing it?

I'm doing my research into trailers and saw this thread. This stuff ain't cheap and comprimises are a reality. I would think a foldout platform could be fashioned in some manor. Or am I just thinking to logically?

A little more set up time and breakdown time. We have a club member that sets his tent up in this fashion. Can't see the point myself but he's happy so that's all that matters.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Are you serious, I don't want to insult anyones opinion or experiences but you must of never been in close proximity of bears. If you think that being 7 foot off the ground is going to make you safer you are seriously delusional. To answer your first question, last year a place I frequent often a boy was killed in a tent. Just a few short years ago, a place I frequent even more a girl was pulled out of a pickups camper shell, through the window, sleeping bag and all, then mauled. Where I was raised I clearly recall an incident where a boy was dragged out of a two room cabin after the bear came through a window. My bud has 400 acres as well adjacent to Glacier National Park and until he modified his cabin, it was broke into multiple times and ransacked by a Grizzley. You thing that RTT at 7" off the ground offers more protection than that? That was a retorical question, because I don't want to start an arguement and only want to keep this thread in a reality check.

I feel safer sleeping 7' off the ground...but we don't have Grizz here in the NE...hence my "dilusion"....part of my reality here

so much for "healthy debate"...you're the one that asked for opinions....good luck with your choice, but it sounds to me like you ought to be looking for a an armored vehicle!

Zubicon

Adventurer
You lost me bud, who's looking for an armored truck? I'm talking about sleeping on the ground in a canvas tent. You live in NE and you never experienced Black Bear intrusions? Black Bears are more dangerous then Grizzlies, they run faster, they climb faster, and they are more curious. I don't come from Griz country I come from major Black Bear Country. My entire point is that there is no difference between an RTT and a ground tent as far as bears are concerned. I wasn't the individual that brought up the point that they believed RTT's were more safer from things that go bump in the night. I was simply expressing my opinion that it wasn't so regarding bears...cougars for that matter as well that I've had 3 runs in with in a 23 year period(clearly don't happen very often and don't worry about it, I'm certain my 458 socum will handle that). A bLack bear would run 50 yards, maul you, then realize it's been dead.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I had a friend in elementary school who's sister was killed in a Grizzly bear attack when camping in a tent at Glacier NP, this was back in the 60's which really dates me and left a indelible image/fear of being mauled by a grizzly bear.

PBS recently ran a 1-1/2 hour documentary on the 1967 Grizzly bear attack that killed two young girls in Glacier NP.
"Glacier Park's Night of the Grizzlies"
http://www.iptv.org/video/detail.cfm/16992/grzz_20110503_full_program

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I am more concerned with the Zombies than bears!
The way the world is going, when it is time to BUG OUT they are the ones to be on the lookout for!

Pikeman

Adventurer
I am more concerned with the Zombies than bears!
The way the world is going, when it is time to BUG OUT they are the ones to be on the lookout for!

That's why I have my Official Shawn of the Dead zombie killer kit.

I will be going with an RTT on my trailer and will also have my ground tent along. It is a matter of preference if you want to deal with a ladder or not, have to clear ground of all debris and rocks before setting up your tent.

Back onto topic here, I have been kicking around the idea of using the Oztent RV-1 model tent on top of the Expo trailer. I am in the planning/brainstorming phase right now, so any feedback on my ideas would be great!

See picture #4 from this link: http://us.oztent.com/products/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=170

Seems like a good idea to me, and at 30 sec. set up time it would make setting up camp alot quicker. Not saying a RTT is slow, but you know what I mean. Then again I have never built one of these style trailers.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I vote Oztent. Having said that, my next RTT will be a Howling Moon with the ceiling windows for sure.:sombrero:

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
PBS recently ran a 1-1/2 hour documentary on the 1967 Grizzly bear attack that killed two young girls in Glacier NP.
"Glacier Park's Night of the Grizzlies"
http://www.iptv.org/video/detail.cfm/16992/grzz_20110503_full_program

That was it, Michele Koons was his older sister although I was wrong about her being in a tent (memory not so great), I do clearly remember when he told me about it and how tore up about it he was. Wes (I knew him as Weston) and his family were very well liked in the neighborhood as I recall. It was good to see that the family has been able to deal with the tragedy as well as they have and that a lot of good has come from her tragic death.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Precisley, cook at least 100 yards from your sleeping site.........something that RTT users most likely will not do. Nothing what so ever in the form of food inside your sleeping quarters and don't even thing about setting up camp anywhere that you see the signs of recent bear presence. I was going from Marble Colorado to Buena Vista via all trails one year, I can't recall the exact trail but there were darn near a dozen trees tore up by bear claws probably in a distance of only 100 yards. That was right ********** where we ere intended on camping. The claw marks were far higher off the ground then me and I'm 6'3". To big of a bear for me to mess with.

I've seen a bear in that area as well, luckily this one was only about 200lbs. I wouldn't completely eliminate the idea of an RTT because of a bear though, which in a previous post it almost sounded like you are. Neither a ground tent or RTT is really all that safe with a large predator. I see a lot of people do the slide out kitchens, or cook tables attached to the trailer with an RTT, absolute no-no for me. All of our food stays in the Jeep, not the trailer. We have a camping table that is usually out of the trailer when we're in camp, and we set that up a ways away from the trailer for food prep to not get any food odors near the tent. Cooking gear is usually in the trailer, but again in camp we'll put in the Jeep overnight as opposed to the trailer, and it's always cleaned well before putting it away.

We greatly increased the comfort of our RTT with a 3" memory foam mattress on top of the OE mattress. It all still fits inside the mattress cover too, and is MUCH more comfortable now. And like others have said, never been cold or wet in the RTT. Had to set it up in the rain/snow a few times and it was a lot easier than a ground tent. I've spent over a hundred nights in a ground tent, and only about 25 in an RTT but the RTT is the hands-down winner for me. Obviously YMMV, but being able to lay down in a soft, warm, and FLAT bed after a long day on the trail is great.

Also, I'm 6'5" and haven't had any issues due to my height with the RTT. Getting dressed sometimes takes a little adjustment once I'm out of the tent, but I've only come across a couple non-Hiltonesque ground tents that I could come close to standing up in anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater