Ruger Trailers Denver

bikemanx2

Observer
I am happy, I added shocks and that made a huge difference. The trailer overall has been great. Last year i added onboard power and water which takes our glamping to the next level.

The tent platform is made of 1x2 tubing, the legs are welded directly to the frame. I use 2 linear actuators in opposite corners and I kinda made my own gas struts for the other 2. I didn't want to have to run wiring to all 4 corners.

When I say I made my own gas struts I used some common of the shelf units that I believe are rated for 110#. I used a coupler nut to couple them together with the shafts extending from each end. Then to reinforce them and prevent bending at the coupler joint I slid a piece of 3/4" aluminium tubing over both strut bodies to more or less make one structure the length I needed.

I use locking hitch pins at a few different positions to positively prevent movement when deployed.

I can use the tent and annex at any position as desired which is very useful with our dogs or inclement weather.

One time on our way to a camp site we passed a backpacking group on a really rough road and got some pretty jealous looks as we drove by. The trailer will truly go anywhere our jeep will. You just have to be patient and take your time, rushing can result in a rollover with this or any trailer for that matter.

I use a wireless key fob controller I bought to raise and lower the platform. It works well

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bikemanx2

Observer
Here are a few pics from some of our adventures over the last couple of years with the setup.
18cf35d832d2a40dea6efd419cd564be.jpg
7ac4f3cf2ad8905e33eedf329d4d2cac.jpg
efd84cd0bd2fc6b8265289cc46db7d48.jpg
952a2beb42c334cfc120a1cffa8af407.jpg
54f372f79a0896bd8820998af68681e9.jpg
d272ee0837be0ba8e8271aa95aba53f6.jpg

Trailerguy

Tent riser

The tent riser was BikemanX2's concept. He did an incredible job of taking it from concept through prototype to the best tent riser we've seen. Ruger Trailers was fortunate to have had the opportunity to collaborate on the project.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Bikemanx2, your trailer, lift system and roof top tent combo are the coolest I've ever seen... absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing it.

bikemanx2

Observer
Bikemanx2, your trailer, lift system and roof top tent combo are the coolest I've ever seen... absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing it.
Thanks! It has been a fun way to 'get our there' and the trailer certainly adds to the complexity when 4 wheeling.

Bikeman,

This is a cool build, and I have been following this thread for awhile.

Nice setup!

You should bring your trailer to the next Rocky Mountain Overland MeetUp, for those in Denver who would like to check it out.

Here's the MeetUp Details.

Cheers,

Brandon

bikemanx2

Observer
I would love to and have actually been to a couple of your meetings. Usually weekdays don't work so well for me which is why I don't make it. I will see what I can do.

mrEman8199

bikemanx2 thanks for the extra pictures. I love everything about your trailer. Are the RTT adjustable supports something you can purchase through Ruger Trailers now, or are they something you added to a trailer you already had?

bikemanx2

Observer
bikemanx2 thanks for the extra pictures. I love everything about your trailer. Are the RTT adjustable supports something you can purchase through Ruger Trailers now, or are they something you added to a trailer you already had?
I'm not sure what ruger offers today. I drew up the design and ruger fabricated it with the trailer with my direction.

It wouldn't be hard to add after the fact though.

Tatted

Adventurer
spoke to Ruger a few weeks ago, if you can dream it they can build it, cool guy to work with also.

bikemanx2

Observer
Bikeman,

This is a cool build, and I have been following this thread for awhile.

Nice setup!

You should bring your trailer to the next Rocky Mountain Overland MeetUp, for those in Denver who would like to check it out.

Here's the MeetUp Details.

Cheers,

Brandon
Fyi I'm at the backcountry comms class with my trailer today

IAJK

IMG_1492.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg
IMG_1493.JPG
Had a chance to stop by Ruger Trailers shop in Denver a couple weeks ago and visit with Steve and his wife for about an hour about their trailers, Great people and very impressed with his product, he puts a lot of attention to detail into his rigs but sticks to the keep it simple approach at the same time. Once the funds work out I will be placing an order for a 6' model. Top notch company!!! Here's a couple pics of a rig that was ready for delivery to a customer.

jaska9

Custom 6' Ruger trailer

I am the very happy owner of a custom 4wX6lX2h Ruger trailer, running 35s. I purchased it in 2014. I custom designed it and they delivered in spades. It has recessed lights, front propane tank, recently relocated spare from front to rear, no tailgate for leak free river fording.Steve and his team at Ruger build an awesome product. If I had the tools, shop, materials, skills etc. I'm not certain I could do any better. I use mine as a rolling bear box and storage container. It has over 25,000 miles (multiple trips from Maine to Utah, Nevada, Colorado and Arizona and I also use it back in Maine for backcountry fishing. I tow it behind a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with an AT, lifted and running 35's. I have matching wheels and tires for both the trailer and the Jeep. I also have a wheel lock and trailer tongue lock, for times when I leave it to wheel hard core.

It holds a propane grille, stove and lantern, 24 gallons of drinking water, sun shower, 120 quart cooler, 2 dry kitchen/food boxes, a 6 foot folding table, 2 campstools, a tent, 2 sleeping bags and pads, as well as firewood, and ax and splitting maul. It is rugged, dust and rain proof (even at 80MPH on the highway) and I only lose 1 MPG towing it!!

According to Ruger, mine is the only rectangular body they have produced. Check it out!

Attachments

• IMG_4868.jpg
    IMG_4868.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4648.jpg
    IMG_4648.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5135.jpg
    IMG_5135.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5193.jpg
    IMG_5193.jpg