Run Report. Baja down to Conception Bay. Day 1

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great write up, and still enjoying the pics and stories...keep it coming please

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Run Report. Day 5. San Fransiquito to Santa Rosalia

Run Report. Day 5. San Fransiquito to Santa Rosalia

Woke up before sunrise at Rancho Alberto after camping the previous evening next to a friend's house at San Fransisquito Bay right on the water. Recommended camp as Senor Alberto fires up the boiler for hot water for a shower. $10 per night. The camp is on the very north end of the bay in a little cove. You can camp the trailer right on the beach but not during a full moon. In fact, a local fisherman, who offered me a free sea bass, warned me to move back 20 feet because of the extreme tidal variation in the gulf especially during the full moon.
Lots of bees there though. I got stung by accident as I was packing up. I used a credit card to push the stinger sack off my finger, and it only was swollen for a day.
When leaving the area on the road east, be sure to turn left at the sign that says "Rancho Piedras Blancas" for a short distance to get on the graded road to El ARCO. We didn't and had about 5 miles of a 2+ road which was sandy at times, rocky at others, narrow with brush on both sides, and heavily off camber with many washouts. Also no turn around points. The only good point was that we came across a herd of wild burros and learned how well the trailer handled such conditions without any problems.
What used to be a steep difficult hill with tight switchbacks is now being graded and concreted. Probably a 10% grade out, but no problem even with the trailers.
After about 3 hours, we got to El ARCO on a well graded road and continued on to Mex 1.
There was an amazing Segura Cactus forest along the way.
When we hit Mex 1, we turned left and headed to Santa Rosalia. We both had to add gas since filling up at Bahia de Los Angeles. The next closest station on our route was Vizquino. If you are short on gas at this point, there was a more direct but appeared to be a much less well maintained road directly there.
Then we had 3 hours to go across the peninsula to get to Santa Rosalia--once a thriving mining area but now it looked industrial and run down. Many abandoned buildings. We got there near dusk and were concerned about setting up camp before dark and eating. I didn't feel comfortable in the town--too industrial for me.
We picked the first campground that offered a beach (with rocks, mud and dead fish) hot showers and toilets at San Carlos just 5 miles south of Santa Rosalia. Turns out, there is a great mini-market at the turnoff to the beach that offered quartered chicken, carne asada, eggs, fruit and beer. A bunch of friendly adventurous Americans hang out there at a "street vendor" who was cooking tacos.

Photos to follow. Stay tuned for Day 6 to be spent through Mulege and on to Conception Bay.

Last edited:

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
31a2a5b70afd7e953a8dcc1ecdde6047.jpg
Me at Camp Beto on San Fransquito Bay.

Regards, SanDiegoBogeyJK

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Run report--Baja to Concepcion--Day 6

Woke up south of Santa Rosalia in a beach campground in a pueblo named San Lucas just off Mex 1. On the main road at the entrance I bought firewood and half a chicken the night before.

Pulled out of camp at 9:00, and drove 30 miles south to Mulege and had breakfast at Donny Melly's. It was in the historic section and we could park jeep and trailer right in front.

We drove through the very narrow one way streets and got gas.

Afterward, we drove south to Conception Bay. I went through every camp on the west side of the peninsula while Roger set up camp at Buenaventura.

For 60 pesos, you can camp and for another 30 you can use the hot showers. Wifi wasn't working. For 170 pesos you could eat a buffet all day long.

I headed south to check out all accessible camp sites in the bay. At the bottom of the bay, I opened a cattle fence and headed up to the north end of the little peninsula that forms the Bay. I went half way up before it was too late and turned around.

I came upon a herd of wild horses that wanted to run right in front of my jeep for a while before turning away.

Then I came upon a Mexican family with 7 kids in a Chevy truck with a flat tire. I offered to help but he said "No thanks!"

I got back at dusk, grilled my chicken and met and talked to some folks from Romania and Colorado around the campfire.

Went to bed at 10.

I wanted to spend a day or two to kayak in the bay but I'm running out of time to get back. We weren't slacking much but we took a day at Squito Bay that could have been avoided. I'd recommend 12 days for this trip. Photos to follow.

Regards, SanDiegoBogeyJK

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
1a3e40da10a28b7d8d446da06a3d5f11.jpg
The west side of the bay has many established beautiful campgrounds, but I wanted to explore the east side. I got about half way up. There were two little fish camps but otherwise empty. Many good remote campsites on beaches. The sand looked a little soft but I drove through it in 4 wheeled drive and trailer with minor sinking. Heavier RVs will probably want to stay closer to the access roads.

Regards, SanDiegoBogeyJK

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Regarding the off-road trailers:
1. Make sure you have your trailer registration with you when you cross the border. Both Mexico and US want to see it and want it to be in the name on your passport.
2. Other than at the border, my trailer drew very little attention at the 5 or 6 Mexican Federal check points. Not once did they ask to look inside it although at each check point they want you to exit you car (turn off the engine and hop out and offer to open the doors) so they can look through your car. They repeatedly asked if we had guns or ammo. (Don't have any!).
3. I bought a pretty heavy trailer modified from military use with high clearance and 37" by 12" wide "run flat" tires. I hardly noticed I was pulling it. It pulled well up steep hills without too much down shifting.
4. It went every where the jeep would go without being a problem in the soft sand.
5. On the Transpeninsular HIghway, you don't want any fishtailing because the roads are all 8 1/2' wide lanes on a two lane road with hardly any turnouts, and steep shoulders that won't allow for pulling off the road. Mexican trucks are coming at you at 60 mph, and there is less than 12 inches separating you from a 120 mph head on collision. Any fishtailing when a truck is passing you could be a real disaster.
That's pretty much all I can tell you about the trailers. Reply if you have any questions.

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Yikes! That highway sounds crazy! What road specifically are we talking about? Or are they ALL like that?
Love the report and pics! Thanks for sharing

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
They are all like that for the most part. It's unnerving. You really feel a sense of relief when you get on a nice dirt road.

Regards, SanDiegoBogeyJK

cw90yj47

Observer
Good Job on the write-up... Felt like I was back down their.... Will be donig this same trip plus more...... Your correct.... the back-road way more comfortable then the main hwy..... Just to add on the trailer part..... I to have an off-road trailer. It was design for off-road, so for the most part know problems....... Bruce keep me posted on your PLANS for the coming months. 2016-01-06 Baja 2015-16 008.JPG......CW

bruceboogaard

The Land Lord
Day 7 and 8 Run Report

Run Report. Baja to Conception Bay. Day 7

Pretty much a travel day on pavement. On the way back through Santa Rosalia, we investigated a giant old closed factory on the main road. Turns out it was a copper foundry and the area was a huge copper mining area.

The road out was paved but narrow, steep and dangerous. We had a very close call with an oversized truck coming the other way.

We drove about 80 miles out to the Pacific Ocean to Punta Ascuncion. Camp Sirena was the only advertised RV park in the small town, and offered hot showers and wifi, but it could not compare to the wide open beaches we were free to drive on. So we explored the town and beach access, and discovered the Hotel La Bufadora at the very point aptly named after a blow hole that shot up ocean water at high tide. The Hotel has been taken over by the same lady that owns Camp Sirena. She was off giving whale tours at Scammons, but left the hotel in the hands of her friends who showed us the rooms. Had my wife been with me, I am sure to have taken the honeymoon suite for $70 US. The view and room was absolutely spectacular.

But alas, I just had Roger, so we drove to the next point north, not knowing who owned it, and set up camp. About 3 cars drove by that evening, and we thought each one was going to stop and charge us for the amazing camp privileges, but they were just late night fishermen or townspeople enjoying the drive, and did not bother us.

Photos to follow.

All the Pemex's have pretty nice bathrooms so we really didn't need a campsite with a toilet.

Tomorrow we are visiting Scammon's Lagoon.

—————————————

Run Report. Baja to Conception Bay. Day 8

We made it to Ojo de Libre, and camped Night 8 at Estero Norte on Scammon's Lagoon. As the dusk turned into darkness, I heard the whales' breathing as they went 100 yards from our camp to their sleeping grounds. You can rent the palapa camp sites for an extra $10, but you are over 100 yards from the shoreline. If you drive to the end of the road west, and turn north at a tent rental business on the point, you can drive up the Estero and camp within a few feet from the water. On the other hand, the Estero is shallow, so we thought we would not see whales from the shore. Based on the regular breaths I heard, I had the notion that they may have been using the shallow water to keep their baby's blow hole above the surface while they were weaning them, but who knows--I'm certainly no expert.

We broke camp early on Day 8 in order to take the Panga out in the Lagoon to watch/pet the whales. $45 per person. We couldn't keep an exact count but I would estimate we saw about 100 to 200 whales including the babies.

It's best to go early in the morning because the wind is calmest and it looked as though the whales were heading out to the open sea for the day. They were full of energy, beaching and spy-ing.

It seemed to me that the babies were most interested in making contact with the humans and the mothers looked on with tolerance as if to think it was good diversity training for the little ones.

It was 1 1/2 hour tour so we headed out to Guerro Negro by 11 AM.

We got gas, firewood and lunch. We examined the town. The salt industry has made the town prosper. They pump salt water into artificial bays and let the sun evaporate it into 3-5 foot cakes of salt.

Then we headed north on Mex 1 and soon hit a military checkpoint. Very nice people. I gave them half my supply of Oreo Cookies. They have a sign in English asking us to call a San Diego number if we had complaints or suggestions.

We turned toward the coast about 30 miles north at a Ejido call El Rosario and drove to the ocean to a fishing village called Santa Rosalito. *Very rural with kids and families playing in the dirt streets.

From there we took a dirt but graded road to a fish camp on the Pacific Ocean called El Marron which had five or six homes but no people. We camped in the middle of a completely isolated beach, and had a steak we bought in Guerro Negro, mushrooms and rice, and corn.

A strong off shore wind came up suddenly as I was making dinner after dark blowing my chair into my campfire and destroying it.

Hope to see Catavina tomorrow to file this report.

Photos to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven